Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WK180C at the range

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laker415 View Post
    I had mine out today to sight it in and see how it liked my load for my AR. I was able to get 3 x 3/4" 5 shot groups off a front and rear bag with a fixed 10X bushnell at 50 yards.
    What weight bullet and what barrel twist in your AR? Same 1:8 as the 180?
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    I would have hoped the rifle grouped better than that....thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    What weight bullet and what barrel twist in your AR? Same 1:8 as the 180?
    55 grain campro FMJ, the AR is a 1:9

Quote Originally Posted by laker415 View Post
    55 grain campro FMJ, the AR is a 1:9
    ###
    Last edited by ZREXER; 12-23-2019 at 01:52 PM.

CGN Regular
    Thanks for sharing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    I don't want to start a new thread so I hope you don't mind my comments here . Great review BTW.
    I'm thrilled with mine. I had it out today for the first time and everything worked well. A couple of ftfs but they were mag related. I only had MBUS sights and I'm pretty happy with results. Ammo was 55 g Remington. 223 UMC.
    Name:  2018-08-15 16.21.52.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  94.6 KB
    Name:  2018-08-15 16.21.27.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  89.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Chumlee Bumsnag; 08-15-2018 at 07:24 PM.

CGN Regular
    After seeing some of the groups guys are posting I’m very happy with my 1-1/4” groups with Nosler custom or Hornady steel match

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    Took the 180 to the range yesterday. Took a couple of hours to run 50 rounds due to the lengthy 'break-in' procedure as per the Owners Manual.

Fit and finish is good, the rifle feels good. The comment from people who pick it up is "it is light".

Ran it well lubed with CLP as per a couple of threads already running here.

Note that I had to remove the Magpul M-Lok Hand Stop from right behind the bipod mount as the (Harris) bipod will not fit otherwise. Bit of a pain really, if the guard was another M-Lok hole longer it would be OK.
    If you are thinking of mounting a Hand Stop and a Bipod mount be aware of this.

Here are some comments and my experience with this rifle:

Mags - dropped free (empty)
    Supplied Hera Mags
    C-Products LAR mags

Mags - did not drop free (empty)
    MFT LAR mags
    PMAG Gen 2
    PMAG Gen 3

During the first 40 rounds I had 1 FTF with the PMAG Gen 3, then during the last 10 rounds 4 FTF with the C-Products LAR mag.
    Had issues with a couple of full 10 round mags that would not lock in place without a good smack.

Trigger on mine has no creep but it is 'very' gritty. I want to run it for a bit before I install the ALG trigger I bought.

I ran AE 55gr bulk ammo - from other threads this is not very accurate with this rifle and I would agree. Unfortunately for me I have 3 cases of it, lol.

10 shot group at 50 yards - one is a known flyer, so vertical is 4MOA. I made some spikes for my bipod and am preloading it pretty hard. Some of the vertical could have been me.

5 shot group at 100 shows same 4MOA, if the top shot is my crap shooting then I could say this is between 3-4MOA with AE 55 grain. Seems to fit what has been reported elsewhere using that ammo.

After 50 rounds the receiver shows a lot of ejection dings. This is not brass being left, it is marks in the finish.

Final words:

Get a new trigger.

Try different ammo. In my experience (and others that have posted) the AE 55 grain is not up to snuff in this barrel, but it is cheap and 3MOA is good enough to plink with.

It is light, well built, seems to function well enough. The FTF and difficulties locking full 10 round mags may get better with more use - will see. 50 rounds is not enough for proper judgement IMHO.

Take down is easy, getting the bolt back in was a bit fiddly until I figured out the proper way to do it.
    The double return springs and guide rods sometimes take some sticking your tongue out and wiggling the assembly around to get them to go into the bolt. The ends of the springs may want to attach themselves together if you turn the assembly sideways.

The marks on the receiver from the brass ejecting - whatever...not an issue to me. For some it might be.

For the price of this rifle and the fact it is Made In Canada I am very pleased with it.
    I would put 2-3 layers of electrical tape next to the ejection port so it doesn't scuff the gun , change when required

Def worth quoting all those pics to mention adding tape. Ejection marks are part of using your gun. Badge of honour

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Update:

Upper came back from Kodiak after having the chamber reamed and the the gas block milled.

No issues with the Factory S&B 69 grain HPBT or Federal AE 62 grain FMJ BT ammo blowing primers as before.
    I am still getting a weird strike on the primers, will take the BCG apart shortly to have a look at the firing pin. Unfortunately I did not send the BCG with the upper.

While I was waiting for the upper to return I loaded up some 68 Grain Hornday Match bullets with Varget. Started with 24.0 and upped 0.3 grains at a time to 24.9.

Best 5 shot group at 100 yards bench rested was with 24.0 grains of Varget. OAL 2.250, no crimp = Sub-MOA. Very pleased.

Thanks to Kodiak for great customer service.

The 'fix' for brass ejection marks I got from member here kaiu works a treat. Ran 100 rounds through today and no marks. FYI this is 2 segments of a Magpul M-LOK type 1 cover. It has been shown that the type 2 cover also works.

Last edited by Paul_T; 09-27-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast