Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WK180C at the range

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar

WK180C at the range

Took the 180 to the range yesterday. Took a couple of hours to run 50 rounds due to the lengthy 'break-in' procedure as per the Owners Manual.

Fit and finish is good, the rifle feels good. The comment from people who pick it up is "it is light".

Ran it well lubed with CLP as per a couple of threads already running here.

Note that I had to remove the Magpul M-Lok Hand Stop from right behind the bipod mount as the (Harris) bipod will not fit otherwise. Bit of a pain really, if the guard was another M-Lok hole longer it would be OK.
    If you are thinking of mounting a Hand Stop and a Bipod mount be aware of this.

Here are some comments and my experience with this rifle:

Mags - dropped free (empty)
    Supplied Hera Mags
    RRA LAR mags

Mags - did not drop free (empty)
    MFT LAR mags
    PMAG Gen 2
    PMAG Gen 3

During the first 40 rounds I had 1 FTF with the PMAG Gen 3, then during the last 10 rounds 4 FTF with the RRA LAR mag.
    Had issues with a couple of full 10 round mags that would not lock in place without a good smack.

Trigger on mine has no creep but it is 'very' gritty. I want to run it for a bit before I install the ALG trigger I bought.

I ran AE 55gr bulk ammo - from other threads this is not very accurate with this rifle and I would agree. Unfortunately for me I have 3 cases of it, lol.

10 shot group at 50 yards - one is a known flyer, so vertical is 4MOA. I made some spikes for my bipod and am preloading it pretty hard. Some of the vertical could have been me.

5 shot group at 100 shows same 4MOA, if the top shot is my crap shooting then I could say this is between 3-4MOA with AE 55 grain. Seems to fit what has been reported elsewhere using that ammo.

After 50 rounds the receiver shows a lot of ejection dings. This is not brass being left, it is marks in the finish.

Final words:

Get a new trigger.

Try different ammo. In my experience (and others that have posted) the AE 55 grain is not up to snuff in this barrel, but it is cheap and 3MOA is good enough to plink with.

It is light, well built, seems to function well enough. The FTF and difficulties locking full 10 round mags may get better with more use - will see. 50 rounds is not enough for proper judgement IMHO.

Take down is easy, getting the bolt back in was a bit fiddly until I figured out the proper way to do it.
    The double return springs and guide rods sometimes take some sticking your tongue out and wiggling the assembly around to get them to go into the bolt. The ends of the springs may want to attach themselves together if you turn the assembly sideways.

The marks on the receiver from the brass ejecting - whatever...not an issue to me. For some it might be.

For the price of this rifle and the fact it is Made In Canada I am very pleased with it.
    Last edited by Paul_T; 08-21-2018 at 01:03 AM.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

BANNED
    Thanks for the review its grealty appreciated that you took the time to do this!

I really hope the 10 rounds mags drop free and get better over time, in regards to the brass marks on the receiver, that is not a problem in my books. Just wear and tear.......it is what it

I wonder if the trigger can get better overtime?

Sorry not an AR guy here.....but is there such thing as "trigger break in" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheart View Post
    I wonder if the trigger can get better overtime?

Sorry not an AR guy here.....but is there such thing as "trigger break in" ?
    Yes, in some regards it could get better due to the surfaces wearing and smoothing out. You could also take the trigger parts out and polish certain areas of them.
    Tons of info on the internet how to do it.

For me the mags not dropping was less important than the full 10 rounders not always locking in properly. I suspect (hope) this will get better with use.

The $2000+ Benelli MR1 has the same issue with brass kisses by the ejection port.

Happy to hear the 180 feels light, because the MR1 did not.
    I don’t have a signature block.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    Yes, in some regards it could get better due to the surfaces wearing and smoothing out. You could also take the trigger parts out and polish certain areas of them.
    Tons of info on the internet how to do it.

For me the mags not dropping was less important than the full 10 rounders not always locking in properly. I suspect (hope) this will get better with use.
    Thank you I will definitely look into some videos about polishing the trigger

Another guy who received his rifle posted that he had no trouble with the mags dropping free and no FTF with them loaded up to 10 round capacity......i guess time will tell and seems to vary from rifle to rifle

But then again anyone can write anything on CGN!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    The $2000+ Benelli MR1 has the same issue with brass kisses by the ejection port.

Happy to hear the 180 feels light, because the MR1 did not.
    So does the 4000 dollar Swiss Arms. Imo, non issue.

Nice write up. Thanks for providing feedback. Do you reload? Would be curious what a guy could get accuracy wise with a decent plinking load. I'm not looking for ultra precision or anything

Quote Originally Posted by laker415 View Post
    Do you reload? Would be curious what a guy could get accuracy wise with a decent plinking load. I'm not looking for ultra precision or anything
    Yes, I have 1000 ready to add powder and projectiles. Will be 55gr Campro and a couple of different powders to test.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_T View Post
    Yes, I have 1000 ready to add powder and projectiles. Will be 55gr Campro and a couple of different powders to test.
    Awesome. Please let us know your results. I also have 1000 campro waiting and a bunch of powder. I will work on some load development next week when i am home and can get the rifle to the range

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast