Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Must have accessories for a new shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond.Emsley View Post
    You can buy the "Stack on" safes for cheap now a days. I would rather buy a safe than a "Cabinet" unless you have a metal cabinet made.
    As for trigger locks. I would avoid the key ones. Nothing worse than getting to the range and finding that you forgot your keys. Go with the combo type one. yes they cost a bit more but when you have to break the other one off your firearm because you lost the keys then it becomes worth it.

I would also look at a range bag of some sorts. I know Cabelas just had some on sale. It's nice to have a place to store your eyes and ears. As for the rest wait and buy it as you need it. If you know you are going to buy a pistol then go buy the cleaning kit for it. You will find in no time that you collection will grow.
    I still don't get sentiment against lock using keys. Just put those keys, just one if you get the same keyed ones, on the same key ring with your house keys and store the spare key separately. This way whenever you leave you would have all the keys with you! Plus it's easier to unlock when you really need it

People already mention to get cleaning kit. Remember to get some kind of cleaner and oil or CLP like stuff. Personally I use Ballistol. Also you need eye protection as well, especially if you plan to shoot steel.

CGN Regular
    Don’t get the trigger locks with keys. Get the coded ones.

Well, the title says 'new shooter' so carry a basic first aid kit. Cloth bandaids and antiseptic spray at least. Slide bite WILL get you, it's a rite of passage. You probably won't notice until you look down at your hand and see the blood.

Visa

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lacroian View Post
    Visa
    One with cash back. Nothing like seeing you get yourself enough to further crowd up the safe/cabinet.

I was in Nebraska on work with a guy and went to Cabela’s in Sydney with him. He has a Cabela’s credit card, which he also uses as his corporate expense card. Walked in, grabbed a Colt AR and case of ammo, paid for it all with Cabela’s rewards and took it home. Didn’t cost him a thing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skoal View Post
    Uplula mag loader!
    If you plan on shooting a lot of centerfire handgun, I totally second this!!!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    Ammo!! Plenty of ammo!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Books. Pick up a book on how to shoot. How to maintain your guns. How to hunt if thats in your plans.

Don't just go spending money to accumulate stuff to fill your house. Fill your mind with knowledge.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Ideal things to have

Eye protection
    Ear Protection
    Gun cleaning kit
    Cleaning solvents, oils,
    Case for transporting firearms
    Range Bag

Notes: In terms of gun cleaning kits, I'd go with a manufacturer known for quality. I love Otis technology!
    Here's a resource I followed that helped me determine what exactly I needed in a cleaning kit. https://combated.com/gun-cleaning-kits-101/

Also bring plenty of ammo!

Super Moderator
    Club membership for range access.
    Professional level coaching will flatten the learning curve substantially.
    A large mirror can assist greatly for assessing tackiekewl appearance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast