Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Must have accessories for a new shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    This link and few hours to read 75 pages:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/

Shawn

I added this to my home screen, awesome accurate and fast info!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marco594 View Post
    Don’t get the trigger locks with keys. Get the coded ones.
    If you're absent minded and can't seem to keep track of keys, Google "how to remove a trigger lock". It's really quite simple with a small flat screw driver that should be in any range box, anyways.
    I color code my locks to the keys with nail polish.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    If you're absent minded and can't seem to keep track of keys, Google "how to remove a trigger lock". It's really quite simple with a small flat screw driver that should be in any range box, anyways.
    I color code my locks to the keys with nail polish.
    Yeah, I can't be bothered with combo locks. I bought a 3 pack of good Masterlock keyed trigger locks with matching keys. Put one on my key ring, one on my wallet, one in a pretty nice little hiding spot in my car. Gave my fiance one to put in her purse, and got 2 spares.
    There's no way in hell I'm going to show up to the range without the ability to open up my trigger locks. Haha.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I've got pretty much everything I need at this point. Heck, I've even paid for some guns that I can't get transferred to me yet until my PAL comes in. Haha.
    Not sure if I'm missing much else at this point. I mean, I could always use a bigger safe... but I'm going with pretty cheap options for a few months or a year or 2 so I can save up for one really solid legitimate 20-30 gun safe and do it right. Might so with a 30-40 gun safe that offers 1/3rd of the safe space in shelves or something until I ever need to take them out for more guns. Seems like a better option so I can store ammo with my guns & pistols in boxes, etc.

ive always wondered how much of a deterrent are these stack on safes really? watch collecting is my main hobby, and this stuff gets suggested quite often. ive read stories on the forums where people have had break ins where they just took the whole safe. or the burglars just somehow managed to use the master code/key and opened them anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond.Emsley View Post
    You can buy the "Stack on" safes for cheap now a days. I would rather buy a safe than a "Cabinet" unless you have a metal cabinet made.
    As for trigger locks. I would avoid the key ones. Nothing worse than getting to the range and finding that you forgot your keys. Go with the combo type one. yes they cost a bit more but when you have to break the other one off your firearm because you lost the keys then it becomes worth it.

I would also look at a range bag of some sorts. I know Cabelas just had some on sale. It's nice to have a place to store your eyes and ears. As for the rest wait and buy it as you need it. If you know you are going to buy a pistol then go buy the cleaning kit for it. You will find in no time that you collection will grow.

I agree with buying multiple trigger locks all keyed alike, if you decide to go with the key type. Depending on what and where you are shooting, a spotting scope is a good thing to have.
    CPC, NFA & NRA Member.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Cameron SS;15208291]Books. Pick up a book on how to shoot. How to maintain your guns. How to hunt if thats in your plans.

Don't just
    Last edited by jdmaks; 06-28-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm waiting on my PAL & RPAL and am looking to eat some of the cost of my new hobby as soon as possible. I'm trying to get any accessories I'd need out of the way ahead of time so I can focus on actual guns when the time comes.

So far I've got, or am getting:
    - Gun safe (might just go with a cabinet though, seems to be fine for restricted storage?)
    - Hearing protection
    - Ammo storage (just an old army can)

What else would one want to get, or what are some nice to haves for a shooter? Whether it's to help with storage, transportation, or just looking hella tacti*cool*.

Even better, if anyone can think of anything on eBay I can pick up.. eBay has a 15% off sale for EVERYTHING over $100 today. Might be good to take advantage of.
    Everybody has pretty much nailed it here for you. Books, cleaning kit, locks, safe, ammo, and I love the Visa comment, just get the line of credit I cover it!!! Think about what you will be doing with your firearms and that will lead you more towards what you NEED vs what you WANT. Looking hella tacti*cool* is fun and may get you noticed but what you do out there and how you do it is far more important. Books will help you focus on the basics and some advanced stuff but nothing is worth more than sitting down with a good experienced shooter and having them pass on some of their wisdom, which should include tips on stance, sighting and trigger pull. If you practical and tactical go get yourself a good holster so you’re not always downing tour firearms in the dirt or on beat up range tables. A good thumb drive drop shank should do, you don’t need a leg drop rig yet if you’re just starting out.

Have fun and play safe

I grabbed my safe and hearing protection last night while waiting for my PAL. I'd suggest picking up eye protection, a range bag, some cleaning tools, carrying cases, possibly a holster to use with handguns at the range. You can buy basically everything except guns and ammo, so pick up whatever you can.
    Proud member of CCFR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123