Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Must have accessories for a new shooter?

Must have accessories for a new shooter?

Hey everyone,

I'm waiting on my PAL & RPAL and am looking to eat some of the cost of my new hobby as soon as possible. I'm trying to get any accessories I'd need out of the way ahead of time so I can focus on actual guns when the time comes.

So far I've got, or am getting:
    - Gun safe (might just go with a cabinet though, seems to be fine for restricted storage?)
    - Hearing protection
    - Ammo storage (just an old army can)

What else would one want to get, or what are some nice to haves for a shooter? Whether it's to help with storage, transportation, or just looking hella tacti*cool*.

Even better, if anyone can think of anything on eBay I can pick up.. eBay has a 15% off sale for EVERYTHING over $100 today. Might be good to take advantage of.

It's hard to tell where to start because it'll never end! If I'm going to suggest just one thing, get electronic earmuffs for hearing protection. Walkers have been working good enough for me. I shot for years and years with conventional muffs and I'd never go back.

CGN Regular
    Eye protection.
    Cleaning kit, solvent, oil, etc.
    Laser bore sighter.
    Hard / soft case and trigger lock for transportation.

if you want to make it way easier latter on please buy a box of trigger locks all keyed the same .
    one key opens all saves you from the dreaded flipn through keys to unlock at the range .
    buy a sturdy safe or cabinet. they are your guns and lets keep it that way. i think of it as a form of insurance and piece of mind
    knowing they wont end up in the wrong hands, and give us all a bad name.

Uplula mag loader!
    Go read that shlock to a soldier or a fireman or a football player or a bloody barber Theyll all knock your "this" right down your throat while sippin a beer and eating chicken wings.Then wipe their wee fingers on your pretty little pouch"

You can buy the "Stack on" safes for cheap now a days. I would rather buy a safe than a "Cabinet" unless you have a metal cabinet made.
    As for trigger locks. I would avoid the key ones. Nothing worse than getting to the range and finding that you forgot your keys. Go with the combo type one. yes they cost a bit more but when you have to break the other one off your firearm because you lost the keys then it becomes worth it.

I would also look at a range bag of some sorts. I know Cabelas just had some on sale. It's nice to have a place to store your eyes and ears. As for the rest wait and buy it as you need it. If you know you are going to buy a pistol then go buy the cleaning kit for it. You will find in no time that you collection will grow.

While you wait, you could always pick up some paper targets or even metal targets. I would also suggest you to buy some Silica gel packets, put them in your gun cabinet which helps keeps moisture out. I also put them in my ammo boxes as well. Maybe if you got the money invest in a good pair of binocular or a range finder.

This link and few hours to read 75 pages:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/

Shawn

BANNED
    Don't but Keyed locks. Buy combination locks. I've seen it a hundred times, guy goes down to the range and forgets his keys. Buy combo locks.
    If you know what guns you plan on getting in the future just watch for sales on accessories you think you might want, like mags and sights or optics.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer weasel1's Avatar
    Think about a place to work on your guns. My dad built me a work bench that fits the room my safe in. If you get a bench, get a bench vice. Also, think about lighting in that room.
    Combo locks, electronic hearing protection is worth its weight in gold and can be had as low as $50. Don't forget about a good gun cleaning kit. I have an Otis Master set and can clean anything. A good pull through kit ( NOT a Boresnake ) makes life a lot easier if you have lever guns and other unusual stuff. One more thing, I'll second the UpLula mag loader. So much faster to load and its a real thumb saver. You'll especially appreciate it when its really cold out and your loading mags.
    "We're only immortal, for a limited time." -Rush

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast