Thread: SAO or DA/SA for first pistol?

SAO or DA/SA for first pistol?

Hey everyone,

Sorry for hijacking the Newbie FAQs section lately.. I have literally no friends who are into the gun world, so I'll probably have to rely on all of you for some input.

I'm looking to pick up my first pistol. Al's has a sale on the DA/SA P226 Legion for under $1400, and that's my dream gun. I'm just not sure if DA/SA is the best choice if I'm spending over $1k? I want this to be a gun I can use for many situations. Hell, even concealed carry if I move to the states some day or something, so I want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

Would anyone recommend getting SAO over the DA/SA? Most of what I see, people suggest DA/SA for new shooters which makes sense. I don't want to be beating myself up a year from now though when I get more experienced for not getting SAO.

Unfortunately the SAO isn't on sale, so that kind of has an effect on my decision as well, but not a complete deciding factor.

I have the DA/SA P226 Legion and I recommend it. I really love it. My first pistol was a M9A3 in DASA. I prefer the two different triggers to practice at the range. For me I can't think of a reason to spend more money to buy SAO.
    CCFR, CSSA

Alright.. I did it.. pulled the trigger on the Legion DA/SA P226.

My license wont even be here for another couple of months, just got my app in last week but Al's is going to hold it for me. Couldn't resist, and the sale price seems to be the cheapest it'll ever be!

Now let's just hope my application doesn't get rejected or held up for some reason. It'll be an extra painful wait if it does.

CGN Regular
    nice man

Super Moderator
    As a new pistol shooter, you will find that there are numerous skills to master. Learning to master two trigger pulls rather than one makes for a steeper learning curve and adds an extra complication. If, forever reason, you want that specific pistol, go for it. Perhaps you will enjoy the additional challenge.

Get whatever you want to get. You’ll get more later once you get used to shooting and try other guns/calibers.

I routinely outshoot people with sig legions, dan wessons, ed browns, shadows etc, and I’m using a bone stock 1st gen m&p 40.
    The gun doesn’t make the shooter.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Personally SAO or DA/SA has nothing to do with experience level. Both can be learned to a functional level quickly. Both take time to master. Either one is perfectly suitable for all of the circumstances where you will want to use a gun.

If you commit to SAO, You will also be forced to decide whether or not you want a manual safety, and whether or not you want to get a striker fired vs hammer fired. I look forward to you eventually posting those questions as well.

In the grand scheme of your life, the amount of money you spend on a pistol is meaningless. You will likely spend many more times the price of a good gun on ammo for it. Also, seriously consider buying used. There is a truck load of lightly used pistols out there, and when it comes to modern combat pistols, asides from cosmetic wear marks, they are all as good as new. Most can be had with either a significant discount to retail price, or can be had with a significant amount of free accessories, such as mags, holsters, belts etc. Unless you are buying a gift or a show piece, there is really no reason to buy new asides from ego, which comes at a premium.

And despite what some people will tell you, a box stock Glock 17 is not a 'show piece'.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.