Page 10 of 238 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

Does this receiver use standard take down pins?

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    Does this receiver use standard take down pins?
    Front yes, doesn’t require a rear pin.

Why are there even anti-rotation tabs .. they have to be a style thing ...
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    Some say it’s so the rail doesn’t rotate even if your barrel but comes loose, meaning your barrel nut can’t move. Others see it as just an alignment piece. I’m sure a few see it as a gimmick. If you take your time and build the rifle properly it isn’t needed. The rails I use have it as part of the design, the Aero Quantum MLOK.

Anti rotation tabs are important as the tension on the barrel nut is not usually enough to ensure no movement. Geisssele had to redesign the MK8 rail by adding tabs because customers complained about rails rotating.

The whole point of the Modern Sporter is to have compatibility with standard mil spec parts. I measured the Geissele MK13 rail and it is going to need like 7 thousands removed on each anti rotation tab to fit across the lower. That's not exactly a minor adjustment. I also don't want to have to take it in to a gunsmith to get it milled down and fit and pay for the service etc.

Not sure why you guys can't test fit a few of the most popular handguards from Geissele, Midwest, SLR, and Frotis etc to ensure a seamless fit and save the customer from the hassle of having to custom fit handguards...
    Last edited by GUNNZ; 08-17-2018 at 07:36 PM.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    Its the new " Kool " right now. Thats how it goes in the ever changing gun community... lol... Now it's the retro rifles making a comeback as well. A fix to a problem that didnt really exist.

Just buy a rail without them if you dont want them. easy peasy solution !

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNNZ View Post
    Anti rotation tabs are important as the tension on the barrel nut is not usually enough to ensure no movement. Geisssele had to redesign the MK8 rail by adding tabs because customers complained about rails rotating.

The whole point of the Modern Sporter is to have compatibility with standard mil spec parts. I measured the Geissele MK13 rail and it is going to need like 7 thousands removed on each anti rotation tab to fit across the lower. That's not exactly a minor adjustment. I also don't want to have to take it in to a gunsmith to get it milled down and fit and pay for the service etc.

Not sure why you guys can't test fit a few of the most popular handguards from Geissele, Midwest, SLR, and Frotis etc to ensure a seamless fit and save the customer from the hassle of having to custom fit handguards...
    If you can measure 7 thou then you can figure out how to operate a file.

CGN Regular
    0.007" with a file on aluminum isn't exactly a lot of work.... You're literally talking a couple minutes max...
    Why would atrs spend their valuable time worrying about what handguards fit and which don't. There are literally thousands of different handguards available, so what you consider popular, might seem obscure to others.
    There are so many options that don't require customizing, so why bother with one that does?

Quote Originally Posted by purplezuk View Post
    0.007" with a file on aluminum isn't exactly a lot of work.... You're literally talking a couple minutes max...
    Why would atrs spend their valuable time worrying about what handguards fit and which don't. There are literally thousands of different handguards available, so what you consider popular, might seem obscure to others.
    There are so many options that don't require customizing, so why bother with one that does?
    Yeah I get that but why not make the receiver close to AR mil specs so you can ensure a good proportion of different manufacturer handguards fit without adjustment?

If it's not a huge issue to change the CNC program on the upper and the changes don't alter function/form of the set I don't see why this would not be done.

Also, this forces me to cut up an expensive handguard to fit the ATRS receiver set. What if I want to put it on something else down the line...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 10:58 AM.