Page 12 of 238 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213141516171819202232 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    I don't understand all the chitter chatter about anti-rotation tabs. Put the gun together properly and they aren't even necessary. If your rail comes with them simply file or cut them to fit and if worse comes to worse cut them off. We're only talking about a 3-4 hundred dollar part. FFS I buy a 50K pickup truck and beat it to hell. I just don't get the fretting over something that's only worth a few bucks...

No matter what ATRS does or doesn't do about the handguard fitment "issue" there is no way to accommodate every manufturers handguard and more so there is no way to please everyone.

I think they are doing an excellent job at building a first class product for everyone. Keep up the good work boys
    Could not have said it better myself.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffv View Post
    Thank you. All this talk and complaining about needing to possibly file a little material off is more exhausting than actually filing the tabs.
    Yes and the fact is that even on some of the "milspec" uppers some fitting is still required as "milspec" is not a true standard specification. The dimensions vary several thousanths of an inch between manufacturers anyway, so the fitting of "useless features" is still required.

ATRS kindly posted dimensions so purchase your hand guards accordingly. What other manufacturer would do that let alone listen to the unwashed masses as to what they should make and to what dimensions?

Well, I am late to the party but, between examining all of the latest AR10/ type models as a potential buyer... what would be the optimal *HUNTING* build for the Modern Sporter look like and the rough cost in this kind of basic configuration?

My goal is simple, being in densely packed forest and running up mountains, creeks and swamps in BC:

*Low weight being key.*
    My optic is predetermined as a 3-9X scope due to short range, anyways.

* Light, or lighter <20"-20" barrel.
    * Slick-side receiver, if possible.
    * Basic, telescoping stock for ease of handling between multiple users/body types.
    * Simple, even abbreviated forend that is not needless weight, offers only mounting solutions on the bottom for a potential bipod or optional grip/sling: fully enclosed, or full length being a waste.
    * Lightened bolt

...And is the trigger good to go, or do I have to upgrade it for something less than a 'milspec' performance?

My ideal setup for a modern alternative to the Browning BAR, and I will gladly listen to anyone offering up an addition, or alternative, should they have some additional experience that made it relevant.

Cheers!

~ Thomas H.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7offsuit2 View Post
    Well, I am late to the party but, between examining all of the latest AR10/ type models as a potential buyer... what would be the optimal *HUNTING* build for the Modern Sporter look like and the rough cost in this kind of basic configuration?

My goal is simple, being in densely packed forest and running up mountains, creeks and swamps in BC:

*Low weight being key.*
    My optic is predetermined as a 3-9X scope due to short range, anyways.

* Light, or lighter <20"-20" barrel.
    * Slick-side receiver, if possible.
    * Basic, telescoping stock for ease of handling between multiple users/body types.
    * Simple, even abbreviated forend that is not needless weight, offers only mounting solutions on the bottom for a potential bipod or optional grip/sling: fully enclosed, or full length being a waste.
    * Lightened bolt

...And is the trigger good to go, or do I have to upgrade it for something less than a 'milspec' performance?

My ideal setup for a modern alternative to the Browning BAR, and I will gladly listen to anyone offering up an addition, or alternative, should they have some additional experience that made it relevant.

Cheers!

~ Thomas H.

I would get

6.5 Grendel barrel from Maple ridge barrel $400
    Adjustable Gas block and tube $150
    Brownells Grendel BCG $130 or you could go with a V Seven with a JP Bolt $800. (You will only save 4 oz for $670, a lightweight handguard would be better upgrade)
    V-Seven Hyperlight handguard $500
    BCM enhanced LPK $180
    BCM Buffer kit $100
    Magpul CTR $100
    Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 $600
    Vortex Cantilever $150
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

I wish to build the most accurate, lightest weight and most compact and modular Modern Sporter possible.
    It'll be switch barrel between 223 and 6.5 Grendel. I'm going with :
    - BSF carbon fiber shrouded barrels (less then half the price of Proof... 18.6" in 223 and 20" in 6.5G) and SLR adjustable gas block
    - Fortis Switch hand guard (same as DRD Tactical for half the cost)
    - Dead Foot Arms BCG with folding stock adapter and T-Rex stock with JP captive buffer
    - Timney Elite trigger
    It wont be a cheap build but I think it'll be awesome. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin86 View Post
    I would get

6.5 Grendel barrel from Maple ridge barrel $400
    Adjustable Gas block and tube $150
    Brownells Grendel BCG $130 or you could go with a V Seven with a JP Bolt $800. (You will only save 4 oz for $670, a lightweight handguard would be better upgrade)
    V-Seven Hyperlight handguard $500
    BCM enhanced LPK $180
    BCM Buffer kit $100
    Magpul CTR $100
    Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 $600
    Vortex Cantilever $150
    That sounds like a great build, and in the news today... we are also able to supply Maple Ridge Armoury barrels as an authorised dealer.

Uber Super GunNutz davide montini's Avatar
    Eh you guys please keep up the good work (arts)....anyone here who has to yip yap about how things are made ..
    Go to frigging school learn the trade and come up with your own stuff ....
    And if you wanna snip or bit#h about things .....bit$h about over politics and the ones running our country
    Till then !!!!
    Enjoy your/our sport ....
    And enjoy Canadian made products
    viva la FICA ..E va fan culo!!!!!..Ontario government is like the nazis ..too many family and friends in the government...it's who you know and blow

CGN Regular
    Thats fantastic. So if we order a receiver off you guys, you would be able to install the barrel onto our receiver?

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by upinsmokeweldinginc View Post
    Thats fantastic. So if we order a receiver off you guys, you would be able to install the barrel onto our receiver?
    I don't see a problem with that. we are able to do full assemblies if requested.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Jp 6.5 grendal bcg
    6mm ppc jury barrel 20"
    Trigger tech
    Jp scs
    Jp mklll 15.5 handguard
    Magpul acs-l
    Sightron Slll 6-24 lrmoa2
    And of course atrs rings