CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 152 of 203 FirstFirst ... 132142144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160162172 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2023

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    Anyone else's barrel wobble when slipped into their upper receiver? Mines by no means a tight fit...
    Mine was looser than the DD and Aero’s I’ve built on in the past. Needed two layers of 0.001” shim stock to get a nice tight fit iirc.
    Last edited by JayCarver; 11-16-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Anyone else's barrel wobble when slipped into their upper receiver? Mines by no means a tight fit...
    Yes the three I have put together have been on the looser side. Besides a really old 70’s Colt M16a1 upper the MS is the loosest I have seen. With every barrel I have tried.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mileageman View Post
    Yes the three I have put together have been on the looser side. Besides a really old 70’s Colt M16a1 upper the MS is the loosest I have seen. With every barrel I have tried.
    Strange??

Delete
    Last edited by Patt08; 12-05-2019 at 11:57 PM.
    |CCFR|

Once i got a light amount of torque on the nut it tightened down good, and once i actually torqued the barrel nut on it seems alright. I happened to have a BA barrel kicking around so i tried it in the MS upper as well and it was also a bit wobbly. Tried both barrels in my stripped Aero upper and they fit tight (like had to force them on tight).

I ended up having to file down the end of my dust cover rod as it stuck out too far to allow my HG to mate up with the upper properly. Speaking of dust covers, I tried 3 different ones before i could find one that half-@ss stayed shut. The others i tried, especially my custom engraved one that I really wanted to use don't stay shut. I also have a small amount of wobble between the upper and lower on the finished rifle which I guess isn't uncommon when it comes to AR's either.
    Not all barrel extensions are created equal. From my experience dimensions vary. A couple of my barrels fit the MS receiver well and the other couple were a bit looser than I would have liked. But even the looser ones tightened down good and I don't see any noticeable negatives because of it.

They could have did what the other manufacturer did and make the receiver tolerances on the extremely tight side but people would still be complaining when their barrel extension that's tolerances are on the large side wouldn't fit. I had two barrels that wouldn't fit into the other brand of receiver no matter what I tried. They fit in my MS receiver perfect.

So far any dust cover I've tried has latched properly except for a DPMS cover. Aero Precision, Stag Arms, Phase 5 and some custom engraved ones I ordered from Tactical Expressions out of the US (not sure what brand they use) all latched properly.

Yes the dust cover port pin needs shortened a bit. Yes most grip screws need shortened.

My first batch slick side upper has a little wiggle but not any worse than your run of the mill AR. My forward assist uppers all fit very snug. Hopefully the rest of the receivers I'm waiting for will fit just as snug as the FA ones I already have.

A good thing is that all the pin holes are sized properly and assembly has been as smooth as butter.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Delete
    |CCFR|

The fit and finish is leaps and bounds better than my SLR.
    Agreed 1000%. While the Sporter does still have a couple little quirks the build and finish quality and attention to detail puts it at a level that the "other" one can only dream about.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

anyone know how to get the side-to-side play out of the upper + lower?

build so far:

ris2 (clone)
    m203
    wk180c barrel for carbine gas
    **fake reverse fit suppressor

still need:
    CH
    JP adjustable A2
    KAC rear sight
    LMT sopmod
    elcan?

Last edited by JaredP; 11-18-2019 at 11:53 AM.

I've read in threads long ago of people putting a wrap of electrical tape around the rear pin for a more snug fit. Maybe that will work in your case too.

Delete
    |CCFR|