CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 153 of 203 FirstFirst ... 133143145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161163173 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 2027

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

  1. #1521
    CGN Regular greg olmstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    alberta
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    Also wondering this. Maybe the electrical tape thing? Thatís the only complaints I really have is the barrel fitting loosely into the upper receiver (so loose if I tilted the upper the barrel would slide out onto the floor) and the wobble between the upper and lower is Mildly annoying but not really of much concern.

    Back to the barrel fitting loosely into the upper part, perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in on whether or not this is normal/safe? It shot good and tightened up well. The barrel looks to be seated securely where it should be.
    Sounds like a barrel problem not an upper problem. Both of my uppers fit the barrels very tight and I had to use the barrel nut to seat the barrel completely

  2. #1522
    CGN Regular sphen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Toronto North
    Posts
    554
    My barrel fit loosly as well, I tried a couple different ones and it was the same for all of them. Didn't really think much of it as they tightened up just fine with the barrel nut.
    WTB: Surefire 300 Ultra

  3. #1523
    Super GunNutz Patt08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East of the Rockies... West of the rest.
    Posts
    2,311
    If it was a barrel problem then how did this same barrel fit my SLR? I also tried this barrel in a spare upper I had kicking around and it fit snug. I tried my ballistic advantage barrel in my MS upper and it was also loose.


    Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    Sounds like a barrel problem not an upper problem. Both of my uppers fit the barrels very tight and I had to use the barrel nut to seat the barrel completely
    |CCFR|

  4. #1524
    CGN Regular greg olmstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    alberta
    Posts
    641
    It still fits the Ms upper. Every dimension on the uppers are checked after they get them back from ano and if it's not within spec they don't ship it out. Tolerance stacking is a problem. If you have a barrel extension on the small side and an upper on the bigger side of the tolerance its going to be loose. If you are worried about it send it back to atrs and get them to double check it with your barrel.

  5. #1525
    Super GunNutz Patt08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East of the Rockies... West of the rest.
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    It still fits the Ms upper. Every dimension on the uppers are checked after they get them back from ano and if it's not within spec they don't ship it out. Tolerance stacking is a problem. If you have a barrel extension on the small side and an upper on the bigger side of the tolerance its going to be loose. If you are worried about it send it back to atrs and get them to double check it with your barrel.
    My question was should I be worried about it. Everything is put together and shoots good so idk. I just don't have experience with this particular issue is all. I emailed them anyways, so ill see what they say when they get back to me.
    |CCFR|

  6. #1526
    Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    My question was should I be worried about it. Everything is put together and shoots good so idk. I just don't have experience with this particular issue is all. I emailed them anyways, so ill see what they say when they get back to me.
    There is no safety concern in regards to what you are describing. If a tighter fit is desired I have heard from some folks that they bed their barrel extension into all upper receivers using loctite 620. This is not a method that I have experience using myself, and am merely passing along a customers recommendation. Use at your own risk. [Although I am told there is no risk]

  7. #1527
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    My question was should I be worried about it. Everything is put together and shoots good so idk. I just don't have experience with this particular issue is all. I emailed them anyways, so ill see what they say when they get back to me.
    One option I’ve seen is people use Indian head (brand name) basket shellac compound. Check out “fifty%” on YouTube. He swears by the stuff. I’d sooner use than that a locktite, at least this you can remove easily.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  8. #1528
    GunNutz ColinD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Rural Alberta
    Posts
    658
    The green loctite 620 isn't a thread locker, it's a retaining compound designed for cylindrical applications, seems perfect. We use this stuff at work all the time, it will fill a gap of 0.015.

    I never thought of using it, but I will definitely "borrow" a few drops from work if needed for my barrel/upper.

  9. #1529
    CGN Regular AMET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Strath-vegas
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    There is no safety concern in regards to what you are describing. If a tighter fit is desired I have heard from some folks that they bed their barrel extension into all upper receivers using loctite 620. This is not a method that I have experience using myself, and am merely passing along a customers recommendation. Use at your own risk. [Although I am told there is no risk]
    Just remember, 620 is permanent. You would need to heat it up to over 500deg F to get the loctite to break it's bond before you hammer it out. Lots of people do it, but I would rather not since I change my mind on barrels pretty often.
    ��
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
    Adolf Hitler, 1935

  10. #1530
    CGN Regular RobbieLaidlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    181
    Not seeing many builds, lets see more photos guys.


    -Robbie L

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •