Page 175 of 238 FirstFirst ... 155165167168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183185195 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 2374

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

CGN Regular
    Some things are definitely better left to people who know what they are doing assembling rifles.
    Inertia definitely works fine if the pin hasn’t been “ hammered” into place...
    what I do to remove the rod:
    The port door will move slightly front to back. Slide the door to the rear, then twist the door slightly so that it “grabs” the rod, and slide it forward. Repeat this multiple times until the rod protrudes enough to grab it with pliers.
    Very simple, doesn’t require any special tools, and also prevents the less skilled from damaging the barrel nut threads.
    This has worked for me every time.

Certain rods I have found to be slightly too long for these uppers paired with certain barrel nuts. Generally I shorten the rod, but on my own personal rifles, I drill the hole slightly deeper with a very long drill bit. I don’t recommend anyone doing this unless you actually know what you’re doing!

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    What the #@$& are you going on about???

I have 8 uppers and mil spec dust covers fit like a glove on every one of them.
    You have 8 Modern Sporter Uppers? Yes mil-spec dust covers may vary manufacturer to manufacture. I have Colt, Geissele, BCM upper parts kits and the rod/cover are all slightly different sizes. Sometimes the pin/detent does not align properly with the upper. Sometime the rod is too long. The only way to know for sure is to install, and they remove if you have trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by purplezuk View Post
    Some things are definitely better left to people who know what they are doing assembling rifles.

Certain rods I have found to be slightly too long for these uppers paired with certain barrel nuts. Generally I shorten the rod, but on my own personal rifles, I drill the hole slightly deeper with a very long drill bit. I don’t recommend anyone doing this unless you actually know what you’re doing!
    I've assembled dozens of AR15/AR10 pattern rifles this year. The MS is the only one with this dust cover/port design and being frank it's a design flaw/cop-out. At the price these are coming in at I would expect more.

Cope more I guess...

But hey, ATRS have been doing in the same way for 12 years so why bother improving something? The absolute state of innovation and engineering in Canada....

Good enough!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by takeyerswing View Post
    I've assembled dozens of AR15/AR10 pattern rifles this year. The MS is the only one with this dust cover/port design and being frank it's a design flaw/cop-out. At the price these are coming in at I would expect more.
    Sounds like you're just looking for something to ##### about, Krylon that sh!t and go shoot FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by purplezuk View Post

This is CGN, Watching a youtube vid and building a few ars makes you a expert !!!!

I did have trouble with the first gen MS upper using the Strike industry aluminum Ultimate dust cover.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
    Adolf Hitler, 1935

You have 8 Modern Sporter Uppers?
    And 6 lowers. Out of all the parts I bought I have came across a grand total of 3 parts that weren't 100% compatible.

One is the Strike Industries forward assist assembly. The other two were caused by "issues" with first batch receivers. One was the Trigger Tech Adaptive not fitting due to the size of the rear hook on the upper. The other was the rifle length receiver extension tube not capturing the buffer retainer pin because the rear of the receiver was longer. Both of these "issues" have long been resolved by ATRS.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Sometime the rod is too long. The only way to know for sure is to install, and they remove if you have trouble.
    Test fit the rod BEFORE you put the dust cover and spring on it. Removal is much easier this way (not that it's hard to begin with). You can shorten it a bit and then do the final install with the cover and spring on.

If anyone f's up their receiver because of the dust cover rod it's their own damn fault. Expecting ATRS to be liable for damage caused by someone who doesn't know what they are doing is absurd.

Test fit the rod BEFORE you put the dust cover and spring on it. Removal is much easier this way (not that it's hard to begin with). You can shorten it a bit and then do the final install with the cover and spring on.

If anyone f's up their receiver because of the dust cover rod it's their own damn fault. Expecting ATRS to be liable for damage caused by someone who doesn't know what they are doing is absurd.
    How can you test fit the dust cover detent and seal without first installing it? The rod length is only 1 issue here.

No one is saying ATRS should be liable. I'm contributing in the build discussion page and giving my 2 cents about future design improvements. Current design is not optimal. Many people are choosing to use after market Strike Industries options (including Shaun LOL)...

I thought that's what this forum was for? Or is it just for complaining about lead times?

Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Man there is no "issue" here. You always test fit parts before final assembly. And when you are test fitting parts you don't do it as if you were doing the final assembly.

Before you shorten the rod (if it needs shortened) you could try the cover for fitment by assembling it BUT only push the pin in far enough that it starts into the rear hole just enough to hold things in place. That way there will still be enough of the pin sticking out the front of the receiver that you can grab onto and pull it out.

After you have confirmed the cover fitment you can then go ahead and test fit the pin for length without the parts installed like I recommended you do.

Reassemble everything and you're done.

There is always a way to do things.
    Once the rod for the dust cover is seated, it is nearly impossible to remove (your tolerances may vary). Using the method you suggested would not move the dust cover at all. Even yanking with needle nose pliers on the protruding end of the rod wouldn't get it out.

This is on latest generation FA upper. Brand new Aero Precision UPK for reference.