Page 185 of 238 FirstFirst ... 165175177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193195205 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2374

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN Regular
    A lot of times, and 100% out of good faith, I'd wish I can participate in the designing process at ATRS (Like even volunteering). Critical dimensions like BCG travel distance should've been caught had they double checked. Perhaps the reason was they had to make room for the buffer retaining plunger milling so plunger was moved forward, but I'd rather have a half moon notch up on top under the charging handle so that the retaining plunger would be at the right spot, than have my bolt not lock back sometimes. This happened to me too last week.

Where can I hand in my resume? LOL
    Last edited by PinaKaleada; 01-19-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer deadman's Avatar
    So to beat this horse a little more, after reading about the bcg travel issues I'm looking at a modern sporter that was assembled using an a1 rifle extension. Hasn't been fired yet. Bcg travels back approx. 1/8" (by eye) beyond the bolt stop when cycled by hand. Compared to approx. 1/4" in two Colt AR's on hand, so definitely a difference in travel length. Any harm in firing it as-is to see if it cycles properly and engages the stop? Old stock 20" pencil barrel with original fsb.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

-JP Silent capture buffer system using the black spring ( came with 4 different weight springs i think)
    -JP Full mass BCG with Enhanced JP bolt 223
    -Maple Ridge Armoury 18.6″ Match V1 Nitride SPR Straight fluted 223 Wylde Barrel
    -SLR Adjustable Gas block
    -Geissele ssa-e Trigger
    - Radian raptor CH, BCM LPK
    So the few others that have said a similar situation, changed tubes, etc. What barrels were you all running?

As I have some degree of insider knowledge, and as it's a Sunday (so I'm here for free) , figure I'll start taking bets on the problem....

someone earlier on mentioned a good checklist to follow, but I'll add check the alignment of your gas rings inside your carrier. If you've gone over all of that, it's likely a small gas port.

Reducing the force necessary to send your bcg backwards will also solve the same problem.

What buffer tube are you using?

Also, I believe it was you who asked if the are any longer tubes out there, besides a rifle length tube, I think it's v7 that makes an "a5" buffer tube, spring, and buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by PinaKaleada View Post
    A lot of times, and 100% out of good faith, I'd wish I can participate in the designing process at ATRS (Like even volunteering). Critical dimensions like BCG travel distance should've been caught had they double checked. Perhaps the reason was they had to make room for the buffer retaining plunger milling so plunger was moved forward, but I'd rather have a half moon notch up on top under the charging handle so that the retaining plunger would be at the right spot, than have my bolt not lock back sometimes. This happened to me too last week.

Where can I hand in my resume? LOL
    ...... I don't know what to politely say to that... Here's my best attempt.....

This is NOT an AR15.

Has a single person come back with the issue that there bolt carrier won't clear the bolt catch?

No, you're all just saying "it doesn't clear it by as far as my ar15 does".

Looks like BCM and a few others started them too.
    https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...5-buffer-tube/

For what it's worth, this is not the route I would advise to remedy the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman View Post
    So to beat this horse a little more, after reading about the bcg travel issues I'm looking at a modern sporter that was assembled using an a1 rifle extension. Hasn't been fired yet. Bcg travels back approx. 1/8" (by eye) beyond the bolt stop when cycled by hand. Compared to approx. 1/4" in two Colt AR's on hand, so definitely a difference in travel length. Any harm in firing it as-is to see if it cycles properly and engages the stop? Old stock 20" pencil barrel with original fsb.....
    I’m running a 20” pencil Norinco barrel , rifle length tube. I have 1/8 inch clearance and mine runs 100%.
    "Victory favours the prepared"

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Looks like BCM and a few others started them too.
    https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...5-buffer-tube/

For what it's worth, this is not the route I would advise to remedy the situation.
    So if I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that if the rifle is properly gassed, the BCG clearing the catch by 1/8" or so is enough for BCG to catch on the bolt face and not the carrier itself?

BANNED
    Not sure why some of you guys keep trying different tubes when the PWS is know to work 100%. And has all the clearance in the world.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer deadman's Avatar
    Dilligaf: I used the tube I had because when I started I (maybe mistakenly) thought it was a direct transfer of parts to receiver. Only after it was done found out some have had an issue, which is why I asked my question. Just trying to learn.

ATRS Shaun: As for the statement that its NOT an AR, I get that. Was only looking at my Colt for a comparison of the internal parts in relation to each other. Again, here to try to learn.

What I get from this is: if clearances are good, a failure in function at this point would be a gas/buffer issue.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman View Post
    Dilligaf: I used the tube I had because when I started I (maybe mistakenly) thought it was a direct transfer of parts to receiver. Only after it was done found out some have had an issue, which is why I asked my question. Just trying to learn.

ATRS Shaun: As for the statement that its NOT an AR, I get that. Was only looking at my Colt for a comparison of the internal parts in relation to each other. Again, here to try to learn.

What I get from this is: if clearances are good, a failure in function at this point would be a gas/buffer issue.
    That is my opinion, now if you could not clear the bolt catch manually, I'd start to wonder some more