Page 193 of 238 FirstFirst ... 173183185186187188189190191192193194195196197198199200201203213 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2374

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayf01 View Post
    With the talk regarding buffer tube length and cycling, am I going to run in to an issue using a standard mil spec tube, buffer and spring? I was trying to budget a little less and found a set from True North, but want to make sure it will work. Unless I need to go with the PWS tub which is substantially more.
    Try the aero enhanced buffer tube, it’s much cheaper than PWS but offers the lip. Realistically 98-99 percent of the time you won’t notice it but using mil spec mine is actually on the shorter end of the travel and did cause problems twice.
    I want you to be pleased with your purchase, so do not hesitate one bit to ask questions before purchase! If we do decide to go forward with payment, I assume that you are satisfied with all info provided before payment. This is a polite as-is disclaimer.

I ship at least once a week on my day off.

What I found was using a milspec buffer tube once the gun broke in I was having failures to lock back around 80 percent of the time. When I would check clearance pulling the charging handle back it looked like I had about 2mm of clearance. But to really test it I took the upper off the lower and put the buffer in the buffer tube without a spring, then pushed the bolt as far as it would go forward in the carrier, then slid the bcg into the buffer tube. This showed me clearly that without modification the bolt face wasn't clearing the catch by about half 1mm. When you pull the charging handle to check clearance your not actually getting the bolt pushed all the way forward in the carrier unless you physically do push forward while holding the charging handle back. Also have to consider play in the bolt catch because it will tilt slightly back when the magazine pushes on the front of it. This is just my experience with the problem and think it is too bad Atrs has this oversight. Either way the pws tube worked good for me but it does bother me that I am missing 1 thread of engagement on the buffer tube to make my gun function with an unmodified buffer. Also on modified buffers be careful on how much you cut off the bumper because the bolt may contact the rear of the reciever. Mine contacted after I trimmed a 1/4 inch off. No contact and locks back now with pws tube turned out 1 turn with regular buffer.

CGN Regular
    Are guys with the JP SCS system facing the same problems?

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    Are guys with the JP SCS system facing the same problems?
    I haven't experienced any issues with my JP SCS, but..... I also haven't encountered any issues on the standard buffer systems we've assembled, nor has anyone brought one in to show us this issue.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I am saying I haven't seen it, and we have not been able to duplicate the issue in house.

I have not seen any evidence, so if one of you guys who are experiencing this is in the Calgary area, please stop by the shop so we can take a look at it.

What I have seen that could contribute to this, and why perhaps I am overly skeptical:

I HAVE seen that a shipment of US made, commercial spec receiver extensions came into the country that are not properly sized internally with a large bump inside and have seen buffers get jammed up in them.

I HAVE seen several commonly available Canadian barrels with undersized gas ports that we've had to open up.

and

I HAVE seen people using AR10 buffers and springs, without knowing it. (the buffer is visibly different, the spring is harder to tell)

And seperately, I have also seen that a huge number of LAR15 magazines using orange followers came into the country, where the magazine was deformed during production causing the front corners to actually be crushed making pointed tips that stick outwards and scratch up the inside of any receiver they are used in. If you have them, check them, if they are pointed, file them. [We do not carry them, nor have we ever sold them]

Thanks for the tip on the LAR15 mags with orange followers, I have a couple so I'll check them for deformation as noted.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    And seperately, I have also seen that a huge number of LAR15 magazines using orange followers came into the country, where the magazine was deformed during production causing the front corners to actually be crushed making pointed tips that stick outwards and scratch up the inside of any receiver they are used in. If you have them, check them, if they are pointed, file them. [We do not carry them, nor have we ever sold them]
    Sanded down the sharp points a long time ago with 220 and 1000 wet sandpaper.

These came from SFRC in 2013.

There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Yeah there's got to be a million of those things in the country, some are fine, some appear to have gotten slightly crunched when being folded in to shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisan View Post
    has anyone tried the new Cross Industries Mags in their modern sporter yet? How is the fit?

I found that my hera mags were pretty tight.
    Couldn't wait for a response so I went and bought the Cross Mags. Can confirm that they fit well and drop free

https://imgur.com/a/3bDoCGP

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisan View Post
    Couldn't wait for a response so I went and bought the Cross Mags. Can confirm that they fit well and drop free

https://imgur.com/a/3bDoCGP
    Are they a hard 10 rounds or are they 10.9? I guess my question is do they close on a locked bolt?

Finally got to assembling my ss upper/lower the fitment is a little looser then I would have liked, but the more bothersome issue is that pmags and Mil-Spec mags have to be jammed in and pulled out,it seems like too much material in the front of the upper receiver mag well area