Page 205 of 238 FirstFirst ... 185195197198199200201202203204205206207208209210211212213215225 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2374

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ssapach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bukwild View Post
    Folks I can not get my rifle to cycle the next round or catch the bolt on the last round. Gas block has been installed using the TNA dimpling jig and I have adjusted both the gas block and buffer through all increments. I'm wondering if the length of the carbine buffer system is the issue and I may need a rifle length system. When I charge the bolt it travels past the bolt catch about 3/16 - 1/4". I also have an upper in 6.5 Grendel which cycles but does not hold open (I did switch parts between uppers with the same results.) Any ideas? My parts are as follows:

MRA Match Stainless Barrels 18.6" in .223, (6.5 is 20")
    Superlative Arms, Adjustable Bleed-Off Gas Block,
    Strike Industries Enhanced Receiver Extension,
    Strike Industries Optimus Modular Weight Buffer,
    Strike Industries, Flat Wire Carbine Spring,
    Brownells M16 5.56 lightweight BCG,
    Hiperfire EDT Designated Marksman trigger
    rifle length gas system?
    I'd just double check the gas port size on the barrel itself. I had to open mine up, but it was actually undersized.

Some tips and tricks I found on my F/A Sporter build:

1) Standard Geissele handguard modification as discussed previously (I utilized a fibreglass grinding wheel and a dremel, cut like butter). CAREFUL.
    2) F/A Installation I had to go through 2 forward assist assemblies (Mil-spec) to find one that fit, no idea why.
    3) Strike Industries enhanced dust cover is only one that worked on my Upper that wouldn't have needed cutting of standard dust cover rod (Shortening)
    4) Required a shorter bolt to install my Ergo grip. Bolt that came with it was too long and bottomed out.
    5) TNA Reaction Rod used for majority of build. Lifesaver
    6) Buy good quality roll pin punches and use lots of grease/oil

Last edited by Dohhunter; 03-18-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ssapach View Post
    I'd just double check the gas port size on the barrel itself. I had to open mine up, but it was actually undersized.
    What should the diameter be?
    Member, CSSA, NFA, NRA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Damn dude that's some thick grass you got there.

Yes it is I even tried an old spring from an old mforgery. I also shortened that old spring about 3/4” to no avail.
    The buffer sets the travel, not the spring.

There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.

Yes, I just was not sure if the spring weight was holding the buffer back from its full stroke.
    Member, CSSA, NFA, NRA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ssapach's Avatar
    What should the diameter be?
    Not sure if there is a specific size for 18.6" barrels, but the recommendation for 20" barrels is 0.0935" or drill size #42.

I actually went #41 which is 0.096".

My barrel was undersized from the maker though, I can't recall the exact size of the gas port, but I want to say it was around 0.080"

Quote Originally Posted by ssapach View Post
    Not sure if there is a specific size for 18.6" barrels, but the recommendation for 20" barrels is 0.0935" or drill size #42.

I actually went #41 which is 0.096".

My barrel was undersized from the maker though, I can't recall the exact size of the gas port, but I want to say it was around 0.080"
    That fits with what I have been able to find in the google machine .09 up to about .123 for 18" will work. I will start at .09 when I get back in a few weeks.
    Member, CSSA, NFA, NRA

CGN Regular
    How far should the FA protrude into the chamber?

I swapped the pawl and spring on a Strike Industries FA with some from a mil-spec Colt FA assembly, and the pawl looks like it now sticks out further into the chamber than with the stock SI FA. Should it be flush or completely inside the recess to avoid hanging on the bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by J.L.C. View Post
    How far should the FA protrude into the chamber?

I swapped the pawl and spring on a Strike Industries FA with some from a mil-spec Colt FA assembly, and the pawl looks like it now sticks out further into the chamber than with the stock SI FA. Should it be flush or completely inside the recess to avoid hanging on the bolt?
    I had to file mine down. Took it down probably a good 3/16th. Still functions like it should.