Page 38 of 238 FirstFirst ... 182830313233343536373839404142434445464858 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Buy a JP bolt. Problem solved.
    I second that, BUT I also have a Brownells bolt on order just to see how they stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    There is no other logical option for a 6.5 bolt other than jp
    Ive been searching and google aint helping. Can you use an JP ALuminum carrier with that 6.5G Bolt? I understand the aluminum will wear more, but for hunting it should be ok?

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suchee View Post
    Ive been searching and google aint helping. Can you use an JP ALuminum carrier with that 6.5G Bolt? I understand the aluminum will wear more, but for hunting it should be ok?
    The bolt heads should be compatible with all carriers. In theory an aluminum carrier should work fine, maybe just not as long wearing as the steel carrier. I would be careful as to what cleaning solutions are used however.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Yes you can. That is what I’m currently running. I emailed JP to confirm this before purchasing. JP Ultra Low Mass Carrier with their 6.5 Grendel bolt completion kit. Works fine so far, have about 200 rounds through it with no issues. Haven’t cleaned it yet, to be honest. But apparently they do wear faster than a steel one.

Hey thanks for that, and your build post, how's that FAXON Handguard ?
    Off a different forum
    "'Ive shot two JP Grendels with low mass systems and a parts gun with a standard weight parts. All had AGB's. The low mass guns had a snappier, less pleasant recoil impulse but the reticle moved less and spotting hits/misses was easier. The full mass system had a slower, chunkier impulse with less felt recoil. From a prone supported position the full mass was more pleasant and easily controlled. From field positions or barricades the low mass was superior."
    This is making me think this through!

Off a different forum
    "'Ive shot two JP Grendels with low mass systems and a parts gun with a standard weight parts. All had AGB's. The low mass guns had a snappier, less pleasant recoil impulse but the reticle moved less and spotting hits/misses was easier. The full mass system had a slower, chunkier impulse with less felt recoil. From a prone supported position the full mass was more pleasant and easily controlled. From field positions or barricades the low mass was superior."
    Use a Regular carrier and practice. shooting from any position is easy when you practice.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
    Adolf Hitler, 1935

Just a reminder to anyone with a Modern Sporter on order that tomorrow Friday Nov 23rd 2018 at NOON, 1200 hours is the cut off to get in for the deal on the JP buffer system. The deal we worked out with JP is a one time only thing.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Off a different forum
    I really like the handguard. It was One of the lightest options I could find. Benefits, no top rail (don’t need one on my huntin rifle), mlok so I can easily place a short picatiny rail for my bipod & place my QD for my sling where I wanted it, smooth other profile so it doesn’t snag, and Carbon fiber sucks less heat out of your hands in the cold. Cons: cost.

I went with the lightweight BCG simply because it was lighter to carry, not for any faster cycling or less recoil impulse.

CGN Regular
    Spent some serious time testing the Odin 18.6” barrel in 300 blackout.
    As far as functionality, I’m not impressed with it out of the box. Odin decided to use a carbine gas system which really isn’t enough for the caliber.... that being said, after extensive trial and error, I have it functioning 100%. The gas port needed to be opened up substantially, an adjustable gas block is required to block some gas only on the hottest of rounds. A lighter buffer spring, paired with an H1 buffer and a brownells lightweight BCG is where I got it to reliably cycle 220gr Remington subsonic ammo and achieve bolt lock on last round.

If someone wants to run this caliber, I’d strongly suggest finding a barrel with a pistol length gas system or having one made by ATRS. I’m not impressed with having to change buffer springs when changing uppers as it’s just one more thing to carry.
    I will do some testing with the 223 setup and the lighter spring to see if that will still function or not.

Anyways, I’m happy with the accuracy while standing at 50 yards. I’ll try to get some prone shooting in this weekend.

And the window to get in on the JP deal is now closed.