Page 5 of 238 FirstFirst 123456789101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCarver View Post
    Shaun, do you know the weight of the jury light profile?
    2.5lbs IIRC for the ones we spin up.

Quote Originally Posted by PinaKaleada View Post
    Here’s mine!

- 20” FN CHF barrel cut down to 18.5” with integral flash hider
    - Daniel Defense M4A1 Ris II
    - Geissele SD-E
    - Sopmod stock
    - EXPS3-0 Tan

Hey Shaun, does the DD RIS II lock up ok with the upper?
    No, the screws need to be ground down to reduce their diameter just a little bit. We can do it, or honestly any machine shop and most competent guys with some garage tools and a steady hand could.

Quote Originally Posted by Clvland View Post
    Does the upper receiver have a hole for the anti rotation pin on the hodge Defense or noveske handguards?
    No, we aren't putting a hole in to accommodate only a few hand guards out there that use that system.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    2.5lbs IIRC for the ones we spin up.

No, the screws need to be ground down to reduce their diameter just a little bit. We can do it, or honestly any machine shop and most competent guys with some garage tools and a steady hand could.

No, we aren't putting a hole in to accommodate only a few hand guards out there that use that system.
    Would this have the same issue? Would definitely #### up my plans!
    DD MFR
    https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...lokr-rail.html
    CCFR Member

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaden View Post
    Would this have the same issue? Would definitely #### up my plans!
    DD MFR
    https://danieldefense.com/rail-syste...lokr-rail.html
    Most likely. The photos don't really show an end view well enough to be certain, but I would suspect some minor alteration would be required simply as our uppers are larger in diameter than milspec uppers.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

BANNED
    Can you post the dimentions of the width of the picrail where the handguard antirotation mates up.

My MI combat handguard fit the NEA billet upper and was tight as hell !

Ill mesure it up tonight :-)

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I’m actually more worried about the two anti rotation tabs that lock back into the top of the receiver, since it’s shaped for standard round forged upper. Any clues?

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PinaKaleada View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I’m actually more worried about the two anti rotation tabs that lock back into the top of the receiver, since it’s shaped for standard round forged upper. Any clues?
    Chances are good you will need to file or modify the anti rotation tabs a little bit. We have had to do this on many handguards in order to get them to fit properly.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Super GunNutz
    Geissele trigger
    Geissele handguard
    Radian CH&safety
    JP everything else

Quote Originally Posted by RedGaiter View Post
    This will be my first build, so I know almost nothing. I'm taking lots of notes in this thread. I just know I want 18.6" in 223 and for the entire rifle to be relatively light (8ish lbs)

Question: What is the difference between mid-length and rifle-length gas system? I have googled a bit, and got mixed results. Which would be preferable for an 18.6" barrel?
    So the difference is the length of the gas tube (obviously), which has important results when it comes to how the rifle functions. A rifle-length gas system is usually done in barrels 18 inches and longer (but some use mid-length up to 18).
    The main difference between the two is known as dwell time. This refers to the amount of time that there is pressure in the barrel that allows gas to keep going back into the bolt carrier group to have it cycle backwards.
    This difference has two main results - one, it affects how much recoil the shooter feels, and two, it affects reliability when it comes to the type of ammo the rifle can cycle consistently.

For example, rifle-length gas systems in barrels 18 and above are known to be very soft shooting but are often finicky with the ammo they will reliabiy cycle, because there is less time available to cycle the bolt carrier when compared to a 18" barrel that has a mid-length gas.
    As a result, softer powered ammunition (less powder and less pressure) may have a problem being reliable in a rifle gas system because there may not been enough gas pressure to fully cycle the bolt backwards to the rear and to properly take another round out of the mag and into the chamber.
    This is known as short stroking and I have personally had this problem when shooting Independence brand 5.56 in my 18" rifle gas AR. It short stroked almost every round on an H2 buffer. In comparison, black box American Eagle XM ammo worked just fine because I assume it's loaded a bit hotter.

A lot of people say that mid-length gas systems are the best compromise between reliability and recoil feel when it comes to 5.56 / .223 ammunition.

It's a whole can of worms if you also want to talk about the effects of how buffer weight (milspec rifle buffers vs carbine buffers vs rifle buffer springs vs carbine buffer springs vs H2, H3 buffers). All of these things have an effect on reliability and recoil as well.
    Even different calibers run better with different gas systems. For example, more barrels chambered in 300 Blackout have pistol-length gas systems, while 7.62x39 have carbine-length gas because they work the best with those calibers.

I know it's as clear as mud but I hope it helps.

For what it's worth, I would go with a mid-length gas system and start off with a milspec buffer (either rifle or carbine-length depending on if you're using an A2 length stock or an adjustable stock) and then play with it from there if you want to optimize your setup.
    Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik123 View Post
    For the 7.62x39 would you only need a specific 7.62x39 bolt and barrel? Is there anything else that needs to be done to the feed ramps etc?
    I’ll have to do more research into that, I think you can have feed issues with that round in an unmodified AR style upper. When I get to that one I’ll be sure to report the issues I have, if any.

mil-spec BCG titanium-nitrite coated from of gunworx.ca
    MRA 18.6 mid length spiral fluted 416 barrel.
    Bravo company enhanced milspec LPK
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6

Have not fully decided on handguard. 12-14" ultra light m-lok something
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?