Page 65 of 238 FirstFirst ... 455557585960616263646566676869707172737585 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by no-one special View Post
    ANY pencil thin barrel will deflect from heat faster than a heavier barrel will. The Proof or BSF barrels have the advantage of using the carbon fiber to stiffen the thin profile barrel down so it does not deflect with heat. The downside is the cost.
    If you are planning to run big mags and blast away all day a pencil barrel will not provide the accuracy, but then again what sort of accuarcy are you requiring. Some guys use volume of shots as a replacement for precise placement of shots. It is known as spray and pray.

The MRA barrel I have been shooting has proven to shoot well and is a good value. The Proof barrels on my MH and MV shoot very well and are close to the same weight as a light profile barrel, but cost is considerably higher.
    Thanks! I don't think I'll be shooting a lot in a session anyways, maybe at most 100 rounds or so and definitely not in quick succession but maybe CF helps with longevity? Do you think it's worth the extra $500?

Still looking for the price per .oz post

Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    It wasnt touching, just looks like that in the picture for some reason. I also did all those parts individually and got the Same number.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomiheko View Post
    Thanks! I don't think I'll be shooting a lot in a session anyways, maybe at most 100 rounds or so and definitely not in quick succession but maybe CF helps with longevity? Do you think it's worth the extra $500?
    Proof claims that their CFW barrels last longer as they cool better but I truly believe this is marketing hype. The stainless steel barrel liner is still subject to the exact same instant heat and flame from the burning powder. I went CFW barrels stricly for the look cool factor, but they do shoot extremely well which is a bonus. Do they shoot any better than a conventional match grade barrel? Not in my experience.

Anybody else using the MFT Minimalist having issues with the stock being super tight on the buffer tube? I have a mil-spec one and about have to go Cro-Magnon on it to move it on the tube.
    Stand and deliver - freedom is not free, and never has been. Resist the Reset!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by docscoutjr View Post
    Still looking for the price per .oz post
    Im a cheap bastard and buy everything on sale :-) or factory 2nds. The only parts here that I didnt get a deal on is the upper and lower. Heck that geissele has seen over 5k rounds thru my ACR...lol

My price per oz is probbaly pretty low. But im still not gonna look into it.
    Last edited by DILLIGAF; 01-08-2019 at 01:06 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Deciding between barrels and can't choose. It's going to be for a multipurpose rifle for target shooting, hunting and maybe some competition. Is a MRA pencil barrel good enough or go for a CF wrapped barrel like BSF? Looked into Proof but too expensive.
    If your doing any type of bench shooting, small groups , load development,etc, then the pencil barrel will suck.
    After three rnds
    I’ve read of a couple of issues with the BSF carbon wrap, separating from the steel.Not sure if it was a one off or not, but enough for me to steer clear.

I got a Christensen arms CFW ( am I allowed to say that?)
    I’ve had a couple of proof CFW and a couple of CA CFW and both performed equally.

But if I couldn’t have a CFW I’d go with a maximum profile.
    My gun should weigh just under 8 lbs.

Any gun that can’t shoot sub MOA is useless , to me.

CGN Regular
    I hope you’re better at building guns than math. ��

You’re at 6.6lbs ( 3KG x 2.2 ) without an upper.

Looks like a good build though, just poking fun where I can.

Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    Under 7lbs shouldn't be an issue. Im at 5.1lbs (3kg) without upper.

Last edited by purplezuk; 01-08-2019 at 11:23 AM.

BANNED
    I really needs to stay off CGN when im drinking.... LoL or at least double check my math. Hahahhah

CGN frequent flyer
    Something being worth an extra $500 is pretty subjective. I would look at one of the fluted barrels to bring down weight if it is that big of a concern. Just dont go with a bull barrel and I am sure you will be fine.

Lug around a large frame semi and anything on the sporter build will feel light.

CGN frequent flyer
    Anyone know when then next preorders are up? I'm losing my will to resist these...
    The sell price for any item(s) I sell on the EE are for the item(s) only, and do not include shipping, unless otherwise stated. Any agreed upon shipping costs do not include insurance, unless otherwise discussed.