Page 79 of 238 FirstFirst ... 596971727374757677787980818283848586878999 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by docscoutjr View Post
    So to sort of get us back on track (I think there are other threads for the legal stuff)....to dust cover or not? Has a dust cover ever saved your bacon, or ruined your day?
    Comments from the sand box?
    Forward assist....beaten to death I know, i LOVE that I could get the "slick slide", my first AR was an SP1 so that is how I think they should come. It seems that the majority here are running a FA upper....is it for the potential stealth option of quietly sneaking a round into battery? Sand box players?? Has a FA saved you bacon or just made a function problem worse? I know beaten to death elsewhere, but I still can't see the logic of "lets just jam that round that won't go in, in"....but maybe it works.
    I think most want to sneak a round home and lock the bolt. I'll admit I've only had 1 ar and my stag 10 but it doesnt matter how slow I let the bolt go I dont need to use the fa. The fa was the us govts fix to a potential problem that is only compounded by jamming a round in the chamber. Lots of guys like to press check their rifle. After they drop the bolt they jam the fa just to ensure its seated in competition like 3g and such.. personally I love me a ss upper so fa wasnt even a thought for me. But I'm not a picky person. Having a gob on the side that serves no purpose to me makes no difference in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by docscoutjr View Post
    So to sort of get us back on track (I think there are other threads for the legal stuff)....to dust cover or not? Has a dust cover ever saved your bacon, or ruined your day?
    Comments from the sand box?
    Forward assist....beaten to death I know, i LOVE that I could get the "slick slide", my first AR was an SP1 so that is how I think they should come. It seems that the majority here are running a FA upper....is it for the potential stealth option of quietly sneaking a round into battery? Sand box players?? Has a FA saved you bacon or just made a function problem worse? I know beaten to death elsewhere, but I still can't see the logic of "lets just jam that round that won't go in, in"....but maybe it works.
    I'm running a dust cover. If you want the ability to be able to install and remove a dust cover without having to disassemble you rifle get a strike industries one.

I'm also running a FA for 2 reasons. 1 being able to quietly chamber a round while hunting. 2 I had my Modern Hunter not be able to chamber a round in the winter at the range, -10, too much of Fire Clean (thickens up real bad in the cold), 200+ rounds through the rifle since the previous cleaning. I've since changed to G96 and had no issuies. But it could just as easily happen while hunting, snow on rifle, get in warm truck, get out of truck & now some ice in the action. So I'll pay the extra for the FA.

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    I think most want to sneak a round home and lock the bolt. I'll admit I've only had 1 ar and my stag 10 but it doesnt matter how slow I let the bolt go I dont need to use the fa. The fa was the us govts fix to a potential problem that is only compounded by jamming a round in the chamber. Lots of guys like to press check their rifle. After they drop the bolt they jam the fa just to ensure its seated in competition like 3g and such.. personally I love me a ss upper so fa wasnt even a thought for me. But I'm not a picky person. Having a gob on the side that serves no purpose to me makes no difference in my eyes
    It wasn't just a US Government solution. The Dutch identified the same problem during testing of the AR10's they were manufacturing at Artillerie-Inrichtingen. They modified the 3rd pattern (Portuguese) of AR10's they manufactured to include a FA feature in the charging handle. Keep in mind this was several years before the the US army requested a FA on their M16's. Go to 14:35 in Gun Jesus's recent video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FXt5md6jPk

Everyone has their own opinions on FA.
    Some guys want it, some don't.
    ATRS is kind enough to offer both options no matter the reasons so kudos to them.
    I am going SS on both my uppers but I like the fact my Stag 10 has FA for a quiet chambering while hunting. I just want to be sure that the bolt is locked forward before pulling the trigger on an animal that may have cost me a pile of time and money to find and harvest. Peace of mind goes a long way.

At the end of the day people want what they want and have their own reasons, who really cares. Build yours the way you want, which is the point of this offering, and have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dietz View Post
    You're only seeing what you want to see. They didn't change the charging handle "to have a forward assit feature", it's not, they changed it to become telescopic and stop protruding from the back, and they made it so you had to push it down to contact and lock into the the BCG to stop it from touching the BCG all the time because the charging handle hooks were getting so hot people burned themselves touching them.
    Jim Sullivan was asked to and did correct that problem shortly after by designing the current rear charging handle design.
    You should probably go read pages 287 & 288 in the following book.

https://i0.wp.com/www.forgottenweapo...ng?w=560&ssl=1

Does anyone have a diagram or measurements for the Ballistic advantage dmr profile barrel? It's a toss up between that and an ibi colt hbar profile barrel.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    I have a BA 20" DMR in 224 Valkyrie. Mines fluted but that makes no difference to the main dimensions.

The rear section measures .850" diameter and the front section measures .725" diameter.

Hope that helps.
    Yes yes it does. Thank you very much. What about the breech section?

From those measurements it's a smidge heavier of a profile than colts hbar profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    Why aren’t anyone looking at the Jury barrels?
    Are they to expensive?
    From what I’m after reading, they should be more accurate than what’s currently available,in Canada.
    I agree with you that jury barrels are top notch and second to none in quality. I will have more of them in the future I just cant afford one right now. I currently have 5 of his barrels and every one is perfect.

I think its because he doesnt advertise and word of mouth or internet is the only way people find them. He and his barrels are well known by many but not many seem to give him credit which is a shame because is he not only a stellar guy is barrels are works of art

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."