Page 9 of 238 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN Regular
    ^I agree! The selfish me just wants to fit the RIS II on it, as well as another set for the Geissele SMK anti rotational tabs at the bottom. Is mil spec front portion a good place to start? I'm by no means an expert though, but chances are if you mimic the Vltor front portion, compatibility might jump from 50%(just a guess) now to 95%, which I'm sure will make most if not all of us very happy
    Last edited by PinaKaleada; 08-15-2018 at 01:50 PM.

A spec more on the larger side? Would rather do some fitting to the tabs then have to take them completely off.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

BANNED
    I rather have to fit the anti rotation tabs on the handgaurd to ensure a perfect fit.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 10:57 AM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    I rather have to fit the anti rotation tabs on the handgaurd to ensure a perfect fit.
    Only problem that might happen is if ATRS uses a specs that require the complete removal of tabs for some handguards, that might be quite undesirable since there won’t be any anti rotational ability for some handguards

My understanding is that the anti rotation tabs are a “back up” just in case the barrel nut loosens, and still allowing the rifle to go into battery and fire just fine and won’t disassemble itself, despite front sight loses zero slightly. But by no means was it for making sure the barrel nut stays tight. I might be wrong though, and your suggested use of anti rotational tabs doesn’t sound bad either. I’m just not big in modifying equipments.
    Last edited by PinaKaleada; 08-15-2018 at 03:11 PM.

BANNED
    The tabs on the most of the handguards listed here have plenty of meat on them. We are talking about a few thou of material that will take just a couple of passes with a fine file.

Fitting handguards that have these types of anti rotation built in is common practice on billet receivers and is more fun then just bolting crap together.

Once the uppers make it out to the public im sure their will be a list made up of witch ones work and witch ones require fitting. Buying cool new rifles out of the gate is always a fun trial and error experiment.

CGN Regular
    ^if a few thou is all it takes I don’t mind. What do you use for modifying the tabs? Just a jewelry file?

This X2

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    This has been our thinking hence not messing with what we know works. In the thousands of AR style rifles we have done over the years only 1 comes to mind where the hand guard backed off causing any sort of issue. This was easily remedied.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Maybe it would be good to sticky a post with the parts that we know for sure will be compatible? To avoid having people buy things that won't be usable. Just a thought.

Do we know handguards that will fit 100% without fiddling around?
    CCFR Member