Page 48 of 238 FirstFirst ... 283840414243444546474849505152535455565868 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by koesdibyo View Post
    Anyone planning on running a 7.62x39 upper?

I know 223 is relatively cheap as is - but for lots of trigger time, hard to beat the cost of surplus 7.62.

Personally, I’m fine shooting/hunting a deer with a 223, albeit I know the argument for some is ‘how humane’ is it.
    I’ve got my stag10 in 308 as well, but the practical part of me wants everything rolled into one.

223 is my go to for long to mid-range precision matches. 308 is also another favourite for long range, but for trigger time it’s definitely more costly.

Thought about 6.5 Grendel, but it gets back to the $/round cost
    Reloading knocks the cost per round down huge plus the added advantage of tuning a load perfect for the rifle and. I reload 223 for $320 per 1000. That's pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure a person could get the cost of grendel ammo down considerably. $1.75 per round including the cost of the case which is $1.18 of the cost. So if you reload 5he cost goes down everytime. And if you get once fired brass at a discounted price it's even better or buy hornady ammo and not include the $1.18. Without the case price its 57 cents a round for grendel. That's cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    Reloading knocks the cost per round down huge plus the added advantage of tuning a load perfect for the rifle and. I reload 223 for $320 per 1000. That's pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure a person could get the cost of grendel ammo down considerably. $1.75 per round including the cost of the case which is $1.18 of the cost. So if you reload 5he cost goes down everytime. And if you get once fired brass at a discounted price it's even better or buy hornady ammo and not include the $1.18. Without the case price its 57 cents a round for grendel. That's cheap.
    Wasn’t sure if semi auto reloading was worth it.
    I do tend to reload for my 223 and 308 bolt, but I don’t put out many rounds per hour as someone with a Dillon, as I use a single stage.

2019 I am carving more time out for myself, as the last few years have been sunk into work-work-work (joys of being my own boss though).

How long will brass last in the semi-auto?
    I always found the tedious work of trimming and deburring the most time consuming to get the brass just right

Whereas at gotenda I could pick up a case of 1000 .223 for $329 (on sale) and stock it deep
    7.62 bulk is on average 15-25c/round - which is hard to beat for no time out into it.

But the obvious downside is the lack of accuracy with it, and ballastically the 7.62x39 definitely isn’t the same as a Grendel
    Moreover the lean towards the 7.62 would be for luxury of laziness and the cost effectiveness

Quote Originally Posted by koesdibyo View Post
    Wasn’t sure if semi auto reloading was worth it.
    I do tend to reload for my 223 and 308 bolt, but I don’t put out many rounds per hour as someone with a Dillon, as I use a single stage.

2019 I am carving more time out for myself, as the last few years have been sunk into work-work-work (joys of being my own boss though).

How long will brass last in the semi-auto?
    I always found the tedious work of trimming and deburring the most time consuming to get the brass just right

Whereas at gotenda I could pick up a case of 1000 .223 for $329 (on sale) and stock it deep
    7.62 bulk is on average 15-25c/round - which is hard to beat for no time out into it.

But the obvious downside is the lack of accuracy with it, and ballastically the 7.62x39 definitely isn’t the same as a Grendel
    Moreover the lean towards the 7.62 would be for luxury of laziness and the cost effectiveness
    There are lots of brass trimmers that cut down prep time immensely. I have a frankford arsenal powered prep center with a trimmer on it. Makes prep work 1000x less terrible. Chargemasters are also a life saver. I will never be without one now. I want a progressive for 9mm and 223 but I wont be buying a dillon. The lee loadmaster is finicky but for the price I'll deal with finicky and the powder measures are very very accurate.

Proper brass prep will extend the life of it greatly. Oversizing is the main killer of brass. If you anneal and minimally size the case they last for a long time if you dont run them to hot. Cant run to hot in a semi or you risk damaging the rifle after prolonged use. The bolts cant handle over pressure rounds like a bolt gun can. Plus primer pockets get sloppy on the case.

I usually prep brass one day and load the next. I can usually make about 600 rounds a day on a single stage if it's all been prepped.

CGN Regular
    With reloading for a semi, you must small base resize, so you are working it as much as possible. But you'll still get many loadings from each case.
    It's easy to get 223 to under 300$/1000, and you'll end up with more accurate ammo than the cheap bulk stuff.
    As far as using a Lee, vs buying a Dillon...... Save your money and your sanity and just buy a Dillon, you'll thank me in the long run.
    I also do allot of brass prep for friends and even the odd " customer".. quality tooling makes all the difference.

Going with the 6.5 grendal is a reloaders specialty, and if you happen upon a stash of 7.62x39 brass, you can convert to grendal... I recently bought the tooling to do this, but haven't tried it yet

Has anyone installed the Daniel Defense lower parts kit in the MS lower? I read some mixed reviews about the quality of some of the parts.

CGN frequent flyer
    Call me lame, but Im just transferring over a Colt Canada SA20 onto mine.
    f:P

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    Call me lame, but Im just transferring over a Colt Canada SA20 onto mine.
    I have the exact same intensions with one of my sets.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by purplezuk View Post
    With reloading for a semi, you must small base resize, so you are working it as much as possible. But you'll still get many loadings from each case.
    It's easy to get 223 to under 300$/1000, and you'll end up with more accurate ammo than the cheap bulk stuff.
    As far as using a Lee, vs buying a Dillon...... Save your money and your sanity and just buy a Dillon, you'll thank me in the long run.
    I also do allot of brass prep for friends and even the odd " customer".. quality tooling makes all the difference.

Going with the 6.5 grendal is a reloaders specialty, and if you happen upon a stash of 7.62x39 brass, you can convert to grendal... I recently bought the tooling to do this, but haven't tried it yet
    I've been have fantastic results in my stag 10 with shoulder bump neck size. No failure to feed no jams.. it has a min samii spec 7mm-08 chamber. Results may vary but I haven't had any problems. Some chambers need small base some dont. That's the best thing about reloading. Experimenting

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    I’ve never used SB dies for .223 or .308 in my Semis and have never had a problem.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    I have the exact same intensions with one of my sets.
    I wish I could afford a second set. Panick bought an SLR when I had a chance.
    f:P