Page 64 of 238 FirstFirst ... 445456575859606162636465666768697071727484 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

I would like to stay under 7 pounds, but still on a reasonable budget. I was thinking about using a Black Creek labs stainless steel barrel like I have on my SLR because I wanted to stick with a mid length gas system, but there are probably lighter Barrel options with a longer gas system. Probably some kind of titanium bolt carrier group, but I'm still open to suggestion. I really would like to keep the weight down more than anything else. Can it be done for under two grand? I think so. My MDI was a $2,000 bill, and it weighs in it 7.4 pounds unloaded.
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM

BANNED
    Under 7lbs shouldn't be an issue. Im at 5.1lbs (3kg) without upper.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomiheko View Post
    Deciding between barrels and can't choose. It's going to be for a multipurpose rifle for target shooting, hunting and maybe some competition. Is a MRA pencil barrel good enough or go for a CF wrapped barrel like BSF? Looked into Proof but too expensive.
    ANY pencil thin barrel will deflect from heat faster than a heavier barrel will. The Proof or BSF barrels have the advantage of using the carbon fiber to stiffen the thin profile barrel down so it does not deflect with heat. The downside is the cost.
    If you are planning to run big mags and blast away all day a pencil barrel will not provide the accuracy, but then again what sort of accuarcy are you requiring. Some guys use volume of shots as a replacement for precise placement of shots. It is known as spray and pray.

The MRA barrel I have been shooting has proven to shoot well and is a good value. The Proof barrels on my MH and MV shoot very well and are close to the same weight as a light profile barrel, but cost is considerably higher.

BANNED
    Spray and pray is a harsh statement. Its more along the lines of accuracy thru volume :-)

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post

Looks like your muzzle is touching the table. Weight may not be accurate.

BANNED
    It wasnt touching, just looks like that in the picture for some reason. I also did all those parts individually and got the Same number.

BANNED
    It wasnt touching, just looks like that in the picture for some reason. I also did all those parts individually and got the Same number.
    Gotcha

Spray and pray is a harsh statement. Its more along the lines of accuracy thru volume :-)
    Hahahaha! I like this.
    I am a kit hor(der)

Quote Originally Posted by BCreserveMP View Post
    I would like to stay under 7 pounds, but still on a reasonable budget. I was thinking about using a Black Creek labs stainless steel barrel like I have on my SLR because I wanted to stick with a mid length gas system, but there are probably lighter Barrel options with a longer gas system. Probably some kind of titanium bolt carrier group, but I'm still open to suggestion. I really would like to keep the weight down more than anything else. Can it be done for under two grand? I think so. My MDI was a $2,000 bill, and it weighs in it 7.4 pounds unloaded.
    I'm sitting at about 1400....but I got some pretty good deals along the way. Weight isnt a huge concern for me though currently.
    Last edited by ThatM305Guy; 01-07-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    I am a kit hor(der)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar

Awesome pic!!
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!