Page 56 of 238 FirstFirst ... 364648495051525354555657585960616263646676 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    To answer the BEV block question:

Isn’t a BEV block for AR15’s? I guess that’s why it will not work on the MS because it’s not an AR15. Simple, no?
    CCFR — CSSA

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    After some thought, maybe you’re right.
    I deleted the post.
    I just figured ,as they don’t sell 6mm, they wouldn’t give a ####.
    As I recall the guys said YES to a 6mm Grendel option when it was asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    I think they said 6.5 Grendel.
    They can get the 6MM AR barrel but maybe not the dies and BCG.

6mmAR is a different cat and hard to source everything at one place.for a reasonable cost.
    Bcg is the same as 6.5 grendel

Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    Isn’t a BEV block for AR15’s? I guess that’s why it will not work on the MS because it’s not an AR15. Simple, no?
    So for those that have a Bev Block and don't want to buy another tool just drive out the pin in the center of the Bev Block, move the central metal part upwards in the housing until you can engage both the barrel extension and the hole for the front pivot pin. I know this works for my MV and I assume the MS is similar.

Quick question. I’m looking at all the different BCG’s available and I’m a little overwhelmed. I’m going to build a .223, looking to put together a quality rifle. Not saying I’m looking to pour money into this MS unnecessarily, but at the same I don’t plan to cheap out either. Could you guys offer some recommendations on BCG’s? I’ve looked at Aero Precision...? But which one? Or another brand?Does the “bolt” come with these when purchased? Or is that something needed to be purchased separately? Everyone seems to be gung-ho on the JP Enterprises 6.5 grendel bolt.

Currently I’m planning Mapleridge Armoury for much of the build. Stainless 18.6 barrel, plus many of their other parts.

No clue on trigger?

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    Quick question. I’m looking at all the different BCG’s available and I’m a little overwhelmed. I’m going to build a .223, looking to put together a quality rifle. Not saying I’m looking to pour money into this MS unnecessarily, but at the same I don’t plan to cheap out either. Could you guys offer some recommendations on BCG’s? I’ve looked at Aero Precision...? But which one? Or another brand?Does the “bolt” come with these when purchased? Or is that something needed to be purchased separately? Everyone seems to be gung-ho on the JP Enterprises 6.5 grendel bolt.

Currently I’m planning Mapleridge Armoury for much of the build. Stainless 18.6 barrel, plus many of their other parts.

No clue on trigger?

Thanks guys.
    JP bolt is because of the reliability/durability with the design. It’s proven itself not prone to breaking, like many of the predecessors in the type 1 and type 2 (and 7.62 bolts). This is due to the size of cartridges means removal of material on the bolt to accommodate... which made them prone to breaking.

Since you’re going 223, there aren’t many bolts these days that won’t be good. The bcg itself is essentially one in the same, as most companies are using the same steel to make it, so essentially paying for a name. But if you want weight reduction, this is the place to look at cutting some of that mass.

Brownells bcg/bolts are hard to beat for the price.

Triggers are subjective to what you prefer. Timney, Geisselle, triggertech, etc... or lower costs would be 2 stage in a brand like Armalite or the likes. If you can, get your hands (or finger) on some firearms with a curve, flat, different pull weights, etc to find what you like.

CGN Regular
    The Brownells bolt Carriers are very affordable, and have lifetime warranty.
    If you want to keep it basic and reliable, simply get a full mass ( standard ) bolt carrier in any coating you desire, and simply pair it with a standard gas block.
    There are no weight savings here, but you also don't get the headaches that can accompany lighter parts.
    As far as triggers, it's all preference.. and how much you can spend.

For anyone on Facebook, there is a modern Sporter build page. Some very helpful people on there, and easy to share pictures/ ideas

CGN Regular
    I have a brownells light weight. I’m happy with it so far. It’s nicely built.

If you can I’d try to find one in either Black Nitride, Nickel Boron, or Titanium Nitride. They have a nice slick coating that makes cleaning very easy!

Thank you so much, guys! These Brownells, are they something that you’re purchasing online in the USA and importing into Canada? Is there a lot of red tape associated with that process?

Regarding the Black Nitride, Nicole Boron and TiNi... I read somewhere that the extra coating on the bolt carrier can cause fitment issues? Any truth to that?

Keep those trigger recommendations coming

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    Thank you so much, guys! These Brownells, are they something that you’re purchasing online in the USA and importing into Canada? Is there a lot of red tape associated with that process?

Regarding the Black Nitride, Nicole Boron and TiNi... I read somewhere that the extra coating on the bolt carrier can cause fitment issues? Any truth to that?

Keep those trigger recommendations coming
    The coatings are microns thick. Like anodizing. Never heard of an issue like that.