Page 77 of 238 FirstFirst ... 576769707172737475767778798081828384858797 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

My build, after some parts swapping....will be built on the SS upper first and then transferred to the FA when ready.

BCM buffer tube assy
    AAC nickle boron bcg
    V7 short throw single side safety selector
    Battle Arms mag release button
    ALG ACT trigger
    Raptor charging handle
    Magpul K grip
    Magpul fixed carbine stock (may swap out for a MFT Minimalist depending on final weight/balance)
    V7 titanium micro brake
    War Sport bolt catch
    Strike Industries dust cover
    BCM 15" MCMR handguard
    BCM low pro gas block
    Faxon 223 Wylde 20" heavy fluted barrel
    Stand and deliver - freedom is not free, and never has been. Resist the Reset!

The MS is going to replace my Modern Varmint as my go everywhere gun. I've already upgraded the optics on the MV so the MS can have the 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle. My side by side is already setup to carry my MV, MS or anything else that will fit in the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by techi870 View Post
    The MS is going to replace my Modern Varmint as my go everywhere gun. I've already upgraded the optics on the MV so the MS can have the 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle. My side by side is already setup to carry my MV, MS or anything else that will fit in the mount.

Love that mount . I’ll have to see about getting something similar for my commander . Just wonder how that will go over when the fish cops stop me to check plates and ins . Seems everytime me and the kids go out we get stopped
    Last edited by blupul; 01-20-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blupul View Post
    Love that mount . I’ll have to see about getting something similar for my commander . Just wonder how that will go over when the fish cops stop me to check plates and ins . Seems everytime me and the kids go out we get stopped
    Thanks! I bought the parts and custom built it to fit. This is going to get used out on my parents acreage the most. The only time I've been checked is on long weekends and then I'm usually doing Search and Rescue patrols so they don't bother us to much. The MV would not be with me for SAR work though.

Nice setup.

The disheartening thing about being stopped by the “fish” cops is if they call in to check the serial number of your legal NR rifle it will be added to the firearms call police database. Such bull####.
    CCFR — CSSA

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    Nice setup.

The disheartening thing about being stopped by the “fish” cops is if they call in to check the serial number of your legal NR rifle it will be added to the firearms call police database. Such bull####.
    Agreed BUT they will do that with any rifle refardless of brand

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ssapach's Avatar
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with carrying firearms like that on ATVs. Heck, I thought you could carry NR firearms on motorcycles. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by benwilliam View Post
    19 ounce - ATRS Upper/Lower (my lower weighs 10.23oz & the prototype upper I weighed was 9.53oz, so 19.76oz ish)
    1.4 ounce - Radian Raptor (1.36oz)
    7.9 ounce - V7 BCG (7.67oz with a Titanium Firing Pin)
    19 ounce - BSF 18.6" (not even close, see below)
    0.81 ounce - V7 Micro Brake (0.93oz with crush washer)
    0.96 ounce - BAD Rifle Length gas tube (0.97oz)
    0.8 ounce - SLR Titanium Gas Block, Adjustable (1.03oz for my 0.875 SlR Ti adjustable clamp on gas block)
    7.48 ounce - Faxon Carbon Fiber Handguard, 15" (7.56oz with a V7 Titanium barrel nut, 8.11oz with Faxon Steel barrel nut )
    0.3 ounce - Strike Ind Dust Cover (0.395oz for capsule style)
    2 ounce - Strike Ind lower parts kit (less fire control, safety) (1.55oz)
    2.2 ounce - geissele ssa (2.32oz)
    0.415 ounce - V7 Titanium Ambi Safety (4.23oz)
    3.1 ounce - Magpul MOE K2+ grip (3.3oz)
    5.34 ounce - JP Silent Capture Gen 2 (5.34oz)
    7.5 ounce - BAD Sabertube (6.99oz)

= 78.205 ounces (4.887 lbs)

I think you are a bit optimistic on weight. I've build a few lightweight AR's, a couple of Stag 10's, a Maccabee & soon a ATRS MS. I keep a spreadsheet of all the AR parts I've bought & weighed over the years. There is always some variation in weight of parts from batch to batch & year to year, manufacturers also change stuff without telling anyone. There is always rounding error in the scales and scales can be off as well. I put the weights I have for those parts beside your post in Red if they are vastly different than what I have and green if they are the same. And of the 5 or 6 builds that I have measured the weight of EVERY part before assembly and then weighed the completed rifle, the completed rifle always weighs a bit more. I attribute this to the above mentioned rounding errors, loctite, lube, etc.

Surprisingly I have all the parts in your build list, except a Strike Industries buffer retainer & spring. I substituted a DPMS buffer retainer & spring instead for the LPK weight. But really you don't need a buffer retainer if running a JP SCSS.

You'll still have a VERY nice rifle, just a bit heavier than you think.

There is no way the BSF barrel weighs that. See link to their website. I would say it is safe to guess the weight of a 18.6" would be between their listed weights for the 18" & 20".

https://www.bsfbarrels.com/product-page/223-wylde

And for those to lazy to click on a link

Weight Chart
    Length Fluted NOT Fluted
    10" 18.3 oz 19.2 oz
    12" 19.9 oz 22.1 oz
    14" 21.6 oz 25.1 oz
    16" 24.7 oz 26.9 oz
    18" 26.6 oz 31.2 oz
    20" 28.8 oz 33.7 oz
    PLEASE TAKE NOTE: THE WEIGHT OF A FLUTED BARREL MAY VARY AN OUNCE OR SO DUE TO THE PROCESS OF FLUTING.

Last edited by benwilliam; 05-09-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    1 cannot successfully legislate an object 2 control an action / If u have a problem & u think someone else is going to fix it for u; u actually have 2 problems / If guns kill people then pens misspell words,spoons make u fat & cars make u drive drunk

Quote Originally Posted by ssapach View Post
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with carrying firearms like that on ATVs. Heck, I thought you could carry NR firearms on motorcycles. Perhaps I'm wrong?
    Its perfectly legal , just more hassle . never knew there was a firearms call police database.