Page 34 of 238 FirstFirst ... 142426272829303132333435363738394041424454 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by docscoutjr View Post
    Ok I hope I got one of the last 9 spots on run 2. If I didn't can my dep be refunded?
    I would think if they took your money you have a lower. These guys are first rate operators in all of my experiences with them. I am willing to bet $$ that when they get back to work, you will be recieveing an email with a copy of your invoice, that seems to be the way these guys roll.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcullen View Post
    Just placed an order for a set with forward assist! Also ordered a BCL 5.56 barrel, and B5 stock and grip too. How does a guy go about picking a bolt carrier group? Lightweight? Coating? Also has anyone installed a Geissele trigger into their lower?
    I've installed a geissele trigger in mine, no issues as was expected. As far as bcg I wouldn't recommend a lightweight carrier unless you're running an adjustable gas block as it would kind of defeat the purpose. I wont speak to the different coatings as there's people far more knowledgeable than myself on here but I've never had an issue with either my phosphate or TiN coated bcgs. Just pick a reputable company and you should be fine.

Great thanks! I’m trying to decide between the SSA-E trigger or the G2S E which is on sale for 139us. I haven’t bought a gas block yet, is an adjustable one better? Also the barrel has a mid length gas system, Maybe adjustable would be better.

CGN Regular
    Great thanks! I’m trying to decide between the SSA-E trigger or the G2S E which is on sale for 139us. I haven’t bought a gas block yet, is an adjustable one better? Also the barrel has a mid length gas system, Maybe adjustable would be better.
    I'm a huge fan of the SSA-E, but have never used the g2s e. As far as the agb goes it can really depend on your barrel and what you want to get out of it. If you want the lightest recoiling rifle go lightweight bcg and agb, but this could come at a cost to reliability with differing ammunition. But if you're just throwing whatever ammo you found that day through the gun and not want to worry about adjusting anything then maybe a standard gas block and bcg may be the better choice.

CGN Regular
    I've got a giessele S3G SD in mine and it's running great.
    I really prefer a single stage with less creep and over travel, but it's still very nice.
    As far as the BCG and gas block, if you're building an 18.6-20" 223 Wylde with rifle gas and a full mass bolt carrier, your just wasting your money on the adjustable gas block.
    My 20" setup with rifle gas and an ascend armory titanium brake is probably the softest AR I've ever shot and over 1000 rounds without a single failure of any kind.

Now I'm doing some testing with an 18.6" 300 blackout, and it's not going to work with standard parts... I've got it cycling perfectly after some modifications, but I'm going to try a light weight carrier in it with standard parts elsewhere because ideally id like to not have to swap parts in the lower when I change uppers.
    I will give details on what I find so that others interested in doing a blackout can get a reliably functioning NR setup

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by purplezuk View Post
    I've got a giessele S3G SD in mine and it's running great.
    I really prefer a single stage with less creep and over travel, but it's still very nice.
    As far as the BCG and gas block, if you're building an 18.6-20" 223 Wylde with rifle gas and a full mass bolt carrier, your just wasting your money on the adjustable gas block.
    My 20" setup with rifle gas and an ascend armory titanium brake is probably the softest AR I've ever shot and over 1000 rounds without a single failure of any kind.

Now I'm doing some testing with an 18.6" 300 blackout, and it's not going to work with standard parts... I've got it cycling perfectly after some modifications, but I'm going to try a light weight carrier in it with standard parts elsewhere because ideally id like to not have to swap parts in the lower when I change uppers.
    I will give details on what I find so that others interested in doing a blackout can get a reliably functioning NR setup
    Great info! So if I’m running a mid-length gas system with an 18.6 barrel in 5.56. What would be the best setup to reduce recoil? I’ll mainly be shooting surplus ammo, I’ve been looking into the Geissele buffer spring as well. Sorry I’m pretty new to this and never built a gun before.

Just placed an order for a set with forward assist! Also ordered a BCL 5.56 barrel, and B5 stock and grip too. How does a guy go about picking a bolt carrier group? Lightweight? Coating? Also has anyone installed a Geissele trigger into their lower?
    Probably gonna catch alot of hate for putting almost entirely BCL and NEA parts onto an ATRS receiver set lol....but I'm balling on a budget so.....
    If all goes well I'll have a kick ass honeybadger clone for under 1500 bones

From what I understand mid length has a little more recoil, but also will reliably feed just about anything.

As far as coatings, they are pretty much only going to be useful under extreme heat. Beyond that it's more so a selling point. Most of us dont sling enough rounds to be able to justify NEEDING the coatings. Other than having a gold BCG looks freaking cool haha.
    Last edited by ThatM305Guy; 11-16-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    I am a kit hor(der)

CGN Regular
    If anything is looking for parts on a budget, I'd strongly recommend looking at Brownells parts such as bolt Carriers before buying some of the cheap " Canadian" brands. I'll be testing a Brownells light weight TiN bolt carrier very soon, and it was under 200$ Canadian

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    The SSP is way is better than the G2 but it’s probably twice the price.
    Also , I found the reset to be faster on the SSP.
    But I guess we’re splitting hairs on all the pricy triggers.
    I’m not expert enough to really tell the dif
    As my Timney felt excellent as well

I find the SSP is better for target shooting, it’s light and crisp.
    My HSNM is a two stage, but I have it set up ,that the first stage is barely noticeable.

If you’re looking for a half decent trigger that won’t break the bank, check out the ALG acts

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatM305Guy View Post
    Probably gonna catch alot of hate for putting almost entirely BCL and NEA parts onto an ATRS receiver set lol....but I'm balling on a budget so.....
    Seems kind of a shame to put a bunch of lowest quality crap parts into a really nice lower. Why not by a Norc and strip it, at least that way you get better quality cheap parts?