Page 179 of 238 FirstFirst ... 159169171172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187189199 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2374

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer View Post
    You sir have just helped me make my mind up as to which gas block I am buying!
    Glad I could help, I prefer the clamp on but any should work fine.

So all this talk of dust covers, I'm still looking at ordering one for my slick slide upper, is there somewhere that has compatible ones in stock?

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by Feralmetal View Post
    So all this talk of dust covers, I'm still looking at ordering one for my slick slide upper, is there somewhere that has compatible ones in stock?
    I had a cheap Brownells one on a SS , no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 45C View Post
    I had a cheap Brownells one on a SS , no issues.
    Good to hear, I really need to make a brownells order already

BANNED
    There's no way that I can read through 179 pages here. I'm looking for a quick recap from anyone that's built one of these.

Is there anything specific that I need to look out for beyond a standard AR build? I've built dozens of AR's, so I'm not a noob in that category.

I plan on building the lower with a standard LPK and trigger with a carbine buffer tube. The upper is going to have a MRA barrel and an American Defense 15" rail.

GunNutz
    Has anyone installed an Aero Precision forward assist on their MS? I've done AR builds before but never installed a forward assist. When I put the forward assist into the upper and look thru the roll pin hole, I can see that the flat on the FA protrudes into the hole and the roll pin won't insert. My roll pin punch, which measures .086" won't go thru but my punch that measures .077" will. The roll pin that came with measures about .095" (3/32").

Is the hole on my upper a bit off, FA out of spec or? I could file down the FA so it doesn't protrude into the hole or use a smaller pin but I'm looking for other opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by BooSSted View Post
    There's no way that I can read through 179 pages here. I'm looking for a quick recap from anyone that's built one of these.

Is there anything specific that I need to look out for beyond a standard AR build? I've built dozens of AR's, so I'm not a noob in that category.

I plan on building the lower with a standard LPK and trigger with a carbine buffer tube. The upper is going to have a MRA barrel and an American Defense 15" rail.
    Most everything fits. Stuff that doesn't work that comes to my mind quickly as follows:

Uppers: if you have a early Forward Assist Upper, some of them were made with the FA too close to the centerline of the BCG (0.080" if memory serves me correctly), thus some forward assists will interfere with the BCG (strike industries).

Triggers: Hiperfire Competition (24C) style trigger will not fit, Geissele High Speed National Match trigger will not fit unless you have the rear pin mod done. All other Geissel triggers are fine as far as I know.

Handguards: some with anti rotation tabs (to fit a milspec forged upper) will have to have the tabs either modified or removed.

Port Door / LW BCG issue: Some lightweight BCG's (like the brownells one) are shaped in such a way that it will not open the port door. But the same BCG will in a normal AR15, so we suspect the ATRS upper has the port door sitting a little bit further away from the centerline of the BCG. Also you will need a straight port door rod, milspec with the tiny c-clip removed is fine.

JP Enterprises .22lr barrel & .22lr specific bolt carrier group: A small notch needs to be cut in the barrel extension so the upper can be assembled. This is due to the MS having a shorter upper than a AR15.

Magazine Catch: I believe someone had problems with a magazine catch???? I don't remember which one, might have been strike industries or some titanium one. I don't remember exactly.

Those are the 'big' issues I see people mentioning in the threads.

Has any one done a big bore build. 450 bm 458 socom or 50 baowulf. Just curious to know if nr barrels are available.
    If no big bore then what about pistol calibers.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 302paterson View Post
    Has any one done a big bore build. 450 bm 458 socom or 50 baowulf. Just curious to know if nr barrels are available.
    If no big bore then what about pistol calibers.
    I used a TNA barrel for 50 Beowulf.
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

There was a mag catch that didnt fit but the other one from the same company fit. The mag catches have a different pattern on them