Page 161 of 238 FirstFirst ... 141151153154155156157158159160161162163164165166167168169171181 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 2374

Thread: Modern Sporter - Build Discussions

Last edited by mclmm; 06-01-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Last edited by greg olmstead; 06-01-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    I had zero issues running that same bcg with a rifle length gas system, standard non adjustable gas block, carbine length buffer tube with a standard "H1" buffer (3.8oz). Also no issue after I swapped the buffer and spring out for the standard weight JP SCS system.
    Going to be running the same setup: rifle length gas, .750 non adjustable, milspec weight BCG, JP SCS standard, did you/would you suggest playing with the different springs for the JP?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-18-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

OK, my first report for my first of a few builds.

The build specs.
    Lower;
    ATRS of course
    Trigger tech AR diamond
    DD pistol grip
    DD adjustable stock
    V7 titanium safety, bolt catch, mag release (black)
    DD buffer tube
    Brownells silicone coated buffer spring
    Spikes carbine buffer

Upper;
    ATRS SS
    18.6 MRA .223 wylde mid length gas (the best gas)
    superlative adjustable gas block
    MRA 15" V1 handguard
    Geissele ACH
    Brownells lightweight BCG
    SI dust cover

optic;
    Nikon Black 1-4x24
    Nightforce unimount

I'll start with the mags, I used LAR15 (10 body, 20 body, 30 body), CPD 50 beowulf, AA 50 beowulf (30 body), IMI 50 beowulf, and 458 socom (30 body).

No fully loaded mag locked in on a closed bolt except for the IMI beowulf mag. However, that IMI mag would not work at all. The bolt won't pick up a round on the way home, no matter how much I tired or prayed.

All the mags I used dropped free, unloaded. Spit out like a hot potato.

The shorter mags like the LAR15 10, 20 bodies and the CDP beowulf gave me trouble when closing the bolt on the first round. The bolt would grab the round and it seemed to just get stuck between the bolt and feed ramp. I'd have to pull the bolt back with the CH to get the needed inertia. The 30 body mags did not have this problem. The guns favorite mag was the 458 socom.

I shot 500 rds today using each mag as equal as possible.

As for the rifle, it was well worth the 13 months I waited. Assembly with this build was a breeze. My upper and lower fit together really tight. There is a slight movement, but much less than all the AR's I have. We are talking very very minor, I have to almost force the wobble. I don't even know why I brought it up?

Another observation is the upper receiver "tang" that meets with the charging handle doesn't stick out far enough to close the gap on top, and the machined part that the hook of the charging handle rests in seems to be too far back. I'm guess that was on purpose? The first few mags worth of ammo I shot I noticed the CH moving backward 1/8-3/16". That seemed to have stopped altogether now.

I had ATRS cerakote my receivers, handguards, and barrels. It was well worth the extra couple weeks and $. The uniform color between receiver and handguard make it look like it came straight from a factory or something. Very sexy. I chose black, and for the barrel I went with vortex bronze.

I would have taken pictures of it in the wild, but "they" still can't make a smartphone that doesn't die from -15C weather. I"ll put one up later in the photo thread.

The only issues I had in 500rds were the ones I talked about regarding mags. I have a couple more reports to do once I finish building my other receivers.

This build, with optic is 7.8lbs using a bathroom scale.
    Last edited by ColinD; 12-05-2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: weight and observation

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinD View Post
    I would have taken pictures of it in the wild, but "they" still can't make a smartphone that doesn't die from -15C weather. I"ll put one up later in the photo thread.
    Might want to get a better smartphone. All my Galaxy Note series of phones have proven to be reliable as low as -40°c for as long as I can stand to use them at that temp.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

anyone running an aero precision atlas r-one handguard on their modern sporter? hows the quality/colour matching?

Quote Originally Posted by Feralmetal View Post
    anyone running an aero precision atlas r-one handguard on their modern sporter? hows the quality/colour matching?
    You would have to cut it in order to fit it flush with the upper. A guy on here posted a picture, I don't think he ended up using that handguard.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Feralmetal View Post
    Idk about R-one but S-one needs a hacksaw.

Edit I looked at the R-one, grab a hacksaw also lol