Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legality of an unlicensed person holding a firearm in a store?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer colinjw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5x54R View Post
    Totally legal as long as licensed people are withing the range of intervention, I.e. within arm's reach

This is what I was taught years ago & what I teach students now.
    It is my understanding ( possibly wrong ) that the person within arm's length must be a license holder.

You know it

Thanks Firearms_eh and the rest of you for the warm welcome and answer to my question.

My logic on the whole thing is that if I was able to handle and fire a loaded firearm without a license, why would I not be able to examine an unloaded one in a store where they'd have to licensed?

But I get the store policy thing. It is what it is. But this place simply said because I had no license. Maybe she was gonna go for a smoke after she handed it to me, lol.

Either way, I certainly felt more welcome and the staff was more than helpful at the other store (ok it was Firearms Outlet Canada). Of course they were trying to make a sale or catch a new customer, but they took some time to answer some noob questions without making me feel like a dumb ass. Thanks to the fella there who quite informative to me - I still like that CZ Shadow!

Cheers,
    EZTRGT
    Kyle

If the sales man wants to take responsibility for your actions, he takes it on him if he hands you a firearm.

Im not sure what i would do.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneHorse View Post
    I can understand peoples frustration with certain store policies. Its all well & good until there is an incident. Then the litigation lawyers pop up like mushrooms. The bigger the company, the bigger the potential settlement. I don't blame business for CYA. As for "attitude" sometimes people get back what they dish out.
    maybe stores should display firearms with the firing pins removed ...... would please the lawyers I'm sure hehehe
    Most gun shops I frequent don't act wierd when a customer wants to handle a firearm for a potential sale , I was more or less referring to the big box stores that sell firearms like cabelas, can tire ect ect.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPKING View Post
    maybe stores should display firearms with the firing pins removed ...... would please the lawyers I'm sure hehehe
    Most gun shops I frequent don't act wierd when a customer wants to handle a firearm for a potential sale , I was more or less referring to the big box stores that sell firearms like cabelas, can tire ect ect.
    I wouldn't buy a firearm which had been fiddled with, by removing, then re-installing the firing pin.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPKING View Post
    Maybe but certainly no one else would be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    I wouldn't buy a firearm which had been fiddled with, by removing, then re-installing the firing pin.
    Certainly not a BNIB firearm.
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDanz View Post
    If the sales man wants to take responsibility for your actions, he takes it on him if he hands you a firearm.

Im not sure what i would do.
    If I was the salesman,I'd do it in a heartbeat. "Oh,you don't have your RPAL/PAL yet? No problem. With a deposit,we'll be glad to hold it for you." SOLD!!

Quote Originally Posted by EZTRGT View Post
    Hey Guys,

Getting my license soon and was preshopping for my first pistol. The store I had visited said I couldn't hold the pistol I was interested in due to the fact that I am unlicensed. However, the other store I had visited earlier let me examine anything I wanted to. And to top it off, the guy said that they were a gun store, but it was okay to ask to see anything I wanted - don't be shy.

I guess i already know the answer, considering I shot 100 rounds at the range with a SO at my side and that's a lot different from just looking at a locked pistol, but is is legal for an unlicensed person to examine a firearm in a store?

Thanks
    EZTRGT
    Kyle
    Same thing happened to me many years ago. Look at it this way, it's kinda like losing your virginity. You can't wait to do it, you just need to wait for the right girl (or gun store).

BANNED
    Totally legal......how the heck could a newbie get into firearms?

I remember holding a chrome desert eagle in my late teens.....guess what? I own a chrome desert eagle now!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast