Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legality of an unlicensed person holding a firearm in a store?

Prior to receiving my RPAL/PAL last month I had the following experience at my local Cabela’s:

Being a polite, “normal” looking person, they allowed me to examine the non-restricted firearms with trigger locks in place. However, I was informed that I would need to have my RPAL in hand before I was allowed to check out the pistols, etc...

Great customer service and I’m now the proud owner of a Norinco 1911 in 9mm and a Winchester SXP with two barrels... and a Ruger 22... and an 18” barreled custom-built AR platform rifle! Ha ha... but only the first 2 were purchased at the helpful Cabela’s!

I've worked in store on the firearms counter where there was no policy to ask for a licence to handle firearms. One day a guy while handling a pistol tried to make a run for the door. He was intercepted and thrown out. Next day new store policy to handle restricted firearms you need to produce a licence. Some guys get bent out of shape when you ask to produce a licence but what they don't realize is that each restricted is registered to that store and if one goes missing the store could loose their license. This is why stores ask to produce a license, not because they have a stick up their butt, its to cover their own ass. :-)

The license is only "purchase and acquisition". As long as someone licensed is there with you, you can absolutely hold the firearm. But ultimately you're at the mercy of the person at the counter helping you.
    Proud member of CCFR

Only store policy and it's up to them.
    I was in a big store near Orillia once and was looking for a Smith part and they wanted to see my RPAL before they would even take me to the handgun section. It was just their policy at the time.

I was in Cabela's last night to buy a gun safe. I asked the associate if I'd be able to look into some of my options for a first gun without having my PAL yet. He said I'd be able to look at them but couldn't handle them.

No arguments from me, that guy was very helpful.
    Proud member of CCFR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    I found that its only the large stores have this policy in place. And also now that I'm not a young kid anymore, most places are okay with letting you handle a gun for inspection. I wouldn't want to buy a gun that a bunch of twenty year olds have been dry firing and slamming around before me.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post
    I've worked in store on the firearms counter where there was no policy to ask for a licence to handle firearms. One day a guy while handling a pistol tried to make a run for the door. He was intercepted and thrown out. Next day new store policy to handle restricted firearms you need to produce a licence. Some guys get bent out of shape when you ask to produce a licence but what they don't realize is that each restricted is registered to that store and if one goes missing the store could loose their license. This is why stores ask to produce a license, not because they have a stick up their butt, its to cover their own ass. :-)
    That makes a lot of sense...I would not have a problem with it if they did not know me..

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EZTRGT View Post
    Hey Guys,

Getting my license soon and was preshopping for my first pistol. The store I had visited said I couldn't hold the pistol I was interested in due to the fact that I am unlicensed. However, the other store I had visited earlier let me examine anything I wanted to. And to top it off, the guy said that they were a gun store, but it was okay to ask to see anything I wanted - don't be shy.

I guess i already know the answer, considering I shot 100 rounds at the range with a SO at my side and that's a lot different from just looking at a locked pistol, but is is legal for an unlicensed person to examine a firearm in a store?

Thanks
    EZTRGT
    Kyle
    Does one have to produce a Valid Drivers Lic. to take a vehicle from a dealership for a test drive?
    No brainer it would seem.
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    Does one have to produce a Valid Drivers Lic. to take a vehicle from a dealership for a test drive?
    No brainer it would seem.
    Rob
    Apples and oranges sir.

But I totally get the security aspect of it and understand that certain stores have their policies and the right to enforce them.

The smart stores make the sales tho. Flaherty's will sell you anything without a license. All you have to do is pay for it in full and they release it when you show them a PAL/RPAL. If you fail to secure your license, they'll issue you a store credit. Buyer beware, right?

But maybe a new shooter gets to secure a firearm so that the day their license arrives, they can pick up or get started on the transfer of their new firearm and its already in stock awaiting them. It can suck when you see the one you want in the store only to see it sell the day before your license arrives. And the store gets a sale, even if it turns out not to be a firearm in the end.

Cheers,
    EZTRGT
    Kyle

Cool

1/4" aircraft cable secured under/to counter...lock through eyelet on cable and trigger guard?
    Smaller version works on cell phones and portable computers...
    Don't tell me the computer geeks are better at practical knowledge than outdoorsy types?!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast