Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legality of an unlicensed person holding a firearm in a store?

Legality of an unlicensed person holding a firearm in a store?

Hey Guys,

Getting my license soon and was preshopping for my first pistol. The store I had visited said I couldn't hold the pistol I was interested in due to the fact that I am unlicensed. However, the other store I had visited earlier let me examine anything I wanted to. And to top it off, the guy said that they were a gun store, but it was okay to ask to see anything I wanted - don't be shy.

I guess i already know the answer, considering I shot 100 rounds at the range with a SO at my side and that's a lot different from just looking at a locked pistol, but is is legal for an unlicensed person to examine a firearm in a store?

Thanks
    EZTRGT
    Kyle

Totally legal.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Welcome to CGN.
    Store policies differ from store to store. Large chain stores are the most strict.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    Store policies differ from store to store. Large chain stores are the most strict.
    My experience is pretty well all stores ask for a liscense . I had to hold the pistol in my hand while my daughter tried the grip to see if it fits her .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    It's absolutely 100% legal..... as long as the unlicensed individual is under the immediate supervision of a license holder for the class of firearm being examined, handled, and yes this covers using/operating said firearm as well be it target shooting or hunting.....

I don't shop in stores that have sticks so far up thier azzes that they don't cater to new people in the sport nor do I shop at the ones where everyone behind the counter thinks they are special somehow and treat every unfamiliar faces with paranoia and attitude.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ACPKING View Post
    I don't shop in stores that have sticks so far up thier azzes that they don't cater to new people in the sport nor do I shop at the ones where everyone behind the counter thinks they are special somehow and treat every unfamiliar faces with paranoia and attitude.
    I can understand peoples frustration with certain store policies. Its all well & good until there is an incident. Then the litigation lawyers pop up like mushrooms. The bigger the company, the bigger the potential settlement. I don't blame business for CYA. As for "attitude" sometimes people get back what they dish out.
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

I've never been asked for my PAL to handle firearms at any store. Only when I said the magic words : "I'll take it".

Big box stores are pretty firm on it, I was in cabelas and a farther was buying his kid their first rifle (.22) he wanted to let the kid hold it and see if it fit or not or if he could even hold it(had a physical disability). The guy behind the counter lost his mind screaming at him that he's kid can't touch it becouse he dosnt have a pal.
    Go read that shlock to a soldier or a fireman or a football player or a bloody barber Theyll all knock your "this" right down your throat while sippin a beer and eating chicken wings.Then wipe their wee fingers on your pretty little pouch"

Totally legal as long as licensed people are withing the range of intervention, I.e. within arm's reach

Welcome to CGN bud.

Looking forward to adding some shooting to our herfs now
    Last edited by firearms_eh; 08-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.
    Proud member of the CCFR and CSSA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast