Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATC for Protection of Life (not wilderness, just from wilderpeople)

ATC for Protection of Life (not wilderness, just from wilderpeople)

I know there's another thread about everyone applying for an ATC as a sign of rebellion or whatever, but I'd like to inquire a bit more around the specifics of applying for an ATC for Protection of Life.

Is this still a thing you can feasibly do? Is there any information about people who h ave been approved in the last couple of years?
    Is the final decision made by the RCMP, or the CFO of your Province, or both? Better question, when you apply with the RCMP form, do they automatically send it to the CFO? Or do they vet it first and decide if there's enough merit?
    Is there some kind of special way to apply? It appears there is no section on the ATC to apply for general protection of life, and nowhere to explain what justifies it. Would attaching a letter to the application even get looked at?

Any insight or feedback would be appreciated. Not sure if anyone around here has applied for this before?

One last question, does anyone have the old RCMP ATC form that DOES include the Protection of Life section? Did anyone save it? I'd just apply with that form if so.
    Last edited by MoMoney; 08-15-2018 at 09:37 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    Generally,the first reaction from the CFO is a flat-out denial unless one can show a clear and present danger of grievous bodily harm or death with time of the essence and clear evidence that Police have no way to protect an individual (that's the easy part,believe it or not). Even then,they'll fight you tooth and nail. I have no idea what your circumstances are,but,I'm fairly certain an ATC for personal protection isn't likely to happen. Please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Trimmer 905 View Post
    Generally,the first reaction from the CFO is a flat-out denial unless one can show a clear and present danger of grievous bodily harm or death with time of the essence and clear evidence that Police have no way to protect an individual (that's the easy part,believe it or not). Even then,they'll fight you tooth and nail. I have no idea what your circumstances are,but,I'm fairly certain an ATC for personal protection isn't likely to happen. Please keep us posted.
    Yeah, I've heard as much. It's pretty clear too with how they removed the section from the application, they don't want to make it feasible for anyone at all to apply let alone get approved. I guess that's my biggest problem. Right now, I can't see any way I can actually make my case in my application.. meaning it'll inevitably be rejected because there's nowhere to explain myself. If I can get over that hurdle and figure out the appropriate way to make my case, I can at least move forward and try.

Right now, I have no idea how to proceed. Applying without being able to explain will surely get me rejected. But.. where can I explain? Where can I bring my RCMP notes/letters, etc? Will they read random letters I put in the envelope with my application?

If anyone has went through the process. Should I apply with no explanation, and then when/if they contact me (hopefully before rejecting?) I fight my case and send the mentioned letters/documentation? I don't even know.

Are there specialized lawyers for this kind of thing? Can a lawyer even be involved on my behalf in an application like this? If not a lawyer, maybe some kind of mediator or firearms law expert?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post
    Yeah, I've heard as much. It's pretty clear too with how they removed the section from the application, they don't want to make it feasible for anyone at all to apply let alone get approved. I guess that's my biggest problem. Right now, I can't see any way I can actually make my case in my application.. meaning it'll inevitably be rejected because there's nowhere to explain myself. If I can get over that hurdle and figure out the appropriate way to make my case, I can at least move forward and try.

Right now, I have no idea how to proceed. Applying without being able to explain will surely get me rejected. But.. where can I explain? Where can I bring my RCMP notes/letters, etc? Will they read random letters I put in the envelope with my application?

If anyone has went through the process. Should I apply with no explanation, and then when/if they contact me (hopefully before rejecting?) I fight my case and send the mentioned letters/documentation? I don't even know.

Are there specialized lawyers for this kind of thing? Can a lawyer even be involved on my behalf in an application like this? If not a lawyer, maybe some kind of mediator or firearms law expert?
    The only advice I can give is to call the Ontario CFO office in Orillia and talk to an information officer. They're very approachable people that will listen to your particular circumstance,especially,when there's a clear and present danger to you or your family. Good luck.

buy a lottery ticket, you will have more luck in winning.

OP, you don't have an RPAL or PAL?
    FJT

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dempster View Post
    OP, you don't have an RPAL or PAL?
    Waiting on it. Not looking to apply for an ATC any time in the very near future, but wanting to get as much information as possible about it. Honestly though, if someone legitimately needed an ATC for protection of life, chances are they probably wouldn't have had a PAL/RPAL for many years beforehand. I'm not sure if anyone else follows that logic, but I think that makes sense.

Whether or not someone should need an extremely well documented case in order to carry is a whole other conversation.. but with Canada's current laws, seems like you need a hell of a lot of documentation and a real threat to your life. Not everyone in that situation may have a PAL/RPAL before looking at the possibility of protecting themselves. Just my opinion though, but again, I have no intention of applying for a long time, if at all.

Why?

If you have no intention of applying for a long time, you probably don't have a real threat to your life. Therefore, they would reject based on that statement.

BANNED
    Are you a rat?

Quote Originally Posted by smokeater40 View Post
    If you have no intention of applying for a long time, you probably don't have a real threat to your life. Therefore, they would reject based on that statement.
    Appreciate the input. Unfortunately I'm not here to get into nonsensical fights. As you probably guessed, my explanation of "I'm not applying for a while" was to avoid a nonsensical debate about someone who hasn't had their PAL/RPAL for a long time carrying a gun daily. Unfortunately, my deflection of that nonsensical debate has turned into another nonsensical debate about whether or not I'm in immediate danger.

Let's just say this: It doesn't matter when I apply. My life could be in danger if certain people find out where I live. I will give into this debate a little bit and say this: Maybe my life isn't in imminent danger in this province, but next year if I choose to travel to where I grew up, the RCMP themselves have identified people who would be of high risk to me in 3 different provinces. So while I may not be in immediate danger TODAY where I live, depending where I go, I may be. And depending what circumstances out of my control could possibly lead to someone finding out where I live from these provinces, my life could indeed be in danger in the province I currently live in.

Anyway, with that said. Can we keep the topic to answering questions about the ATC in general? And avoid getting into too many details about my specific case?

I'm just trying to figure out how one can apply for an ATC for protection of life. If one would leave everything blank and hope they understand the threat, or if an attached paper would work, etc. As well as the other questions I've outlined above.

If you're not the CFO yourself, I'm probably not interested in your opinion of whether or not you'd approve me. I'm here asking how I can give enough info to the RCMP/CFO so they can make an informed decision.
    Last edited by MoMoney; 08-14-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast