Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ammo to avoid.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by twyeh View Post
    FYI Independence is rebranded milspec IMI M193. Shows you the WK180 is only meant to run civy .223 and not 5.56x45.
    Absolutely correct .. there are a lot of warnings about using NATO specs ammo in civilian market rifles ...even marked 5.56 or combined and with Wylde chambers

This one from DPMS, found it when deciding which ammo to get for my Oracle: http://www.dpmsinc.com/Ammunitions-Warning_ep_59-1.html

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    A 5.56 chambered gun is perfectly fine shooting 5.56 NATO spec ammo! That's what it was designed to shoot. Where the problems lie is shooting 5.56 NATO spec ammo in a .223 Remington chambered gun. You can (not always) run into problems doing so.

The WC180 is chambered in .223 Wylde which is supposed to be safe shooting both! Sounds like they are tighter spec than that and are having some problems running 5,56. Not a big deal if you are fine running .223 ammo but if you shoot 5.56 you may be out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by crashcollins View Post
    A 5.56 chambered gun is perfectly fine shooting 5.56 NATO spec ammo! That's what it was designed to shoot. Where the problems lie is shooting 5.56 NATO spec ammo in a .223 Remington chambered gun. You can (not always) run into problems doing so.

The WC180 is chambered in .223 Wylde which is supposed to be safe shooting both! Sounds like they are tighter spec than that and are having some problems running 5,56. Not a big deal if you are fine running .223 ammo but if you shoot 5.56 you may be out of luck.
    This was my immediate reaction, if its chambered for this round it should shoot it no issues, I am happy I'm not the only one who has run into this issue.

I have contacted Federal, but they have been of little help. Talked to David, the gunsmith at Wolverine, sent me to Steve from Kodiak, so far no response but I am sure he is busy.

Firstly these are newly manufactured rifles with a warranty, please contact Kodiak defence if you have a problem, we do not expect you to have to fix a problem yourself.

Secondly if you have trouble chambering a round, STOP. Could be a foreign object in the chamber (I had it happen to me with a hunting rifles when a tiny piece of plastic from the cartridge packet was stuck to the round) If you force a round into the chamber you may have a catastrophic failure, something that should be avoided.

I have just had a discussion with Steve at Kodiak and have learnt the following.

In order to source enough chamber reamers (.223 Wylde) Kodiak sourced them from more than one manufacture. All reamers give correct head space but as .223 Wylde is a “new” caliber there are no SAMI specifications for the chamber. We are now seeing that some chambers are “tighter” than others and this is why we are seeing some problems with some ammo. Unfortunately we do not know which rifles were chambered with which reamers.

If you are experiencing any issues at all, please stop shooting with any “suspect ammo” and contact Service@Kodiakdefence.com I am not an engineer, this is the situation as I understand it.

Headspace is measured from the bolt face to a datum point on the case shoulder with bottle neck cartridges like the .223. the exact location of that point varies from one type of cartridge to another.

All WK180-C rifles have their head spaced checked before leaving Kodiak

When headspace is set correctly, there is a tiny bit of extra length in the chamber to accommodate the slight variations in cartridge length that occur in even the most rigorously manufactured commercial ammunition.

Head space gauges are manufactured undersize in that they do not contact the chamber wall that could give a false reading.

The chamber dimensions are what the reamer manufacture produces their reamer to and when the headspace is correct.

We have a situation where some chambers are tight with some ammo.

Now Kodiak are aware of this situation I can assure you that all future rifles will be correct.

At this point I must refer any customers who have problems or concerns, please take it up with Kodiak as they are the experts in this area, not me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345