Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varmint vs. Sporter

Varmint vs. Sporter

I am just trying to figure out what the difference is between them other than the fact that the Sporter is sold as just the receiver and the Varmint is a whole rifle.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    They have different receivers, the sportser has less proprietary parts and more ar parts. I beleive the sportster has an ar 15 bcg, charging handle , barrel and buffer retaining system. Whyle the varmint has side charging handle, proprietary bolt carrier, barrel mounting system, trigger and an uncaptured jp silent buffer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Similar in general reciever shape, however the rear mounting point is a plunger, the sporter just kinda has a tounge and groove design.

Varmint has a proprietary side charger that requires the BCG be notched, and the reciever is proprietary to Timney single pin trigger packs, and the barrel index pin was inverted to further distance itself from AR lineage. The Varmint also features an ambi bolt release that I am really disappointed was omitted from the sporter.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye 009 View Post
    I am just trying to figure out what the difference is between them other than the fact that the Sporter is sold as just the receiver and the Varmint is a whole rifle.
    The Sporter is a bare bones version that is identical in shape to the Modern Varmint but has many differences. The biggest being it will employ almost any AR15 parts such as BCG, LPK, furniture etc.. The varmint upper is held onto the lower with a single front take down pin and the rear is controlled by a spring loaded trunion. The Varmint employs a proprietary side charge handle and only will work with a Timney trigger. The Sporter will work with 99% of the AR triggers, employs a front take down pin and the rear of the upper is retained by a crosspin that engages into a hook in the rear of the upper.

In order to keep costs as low as possible we dropped many of the features that all the rest of our semi autos have, such as ambi bolt release, captured detents and springs as well as custom engraving or custom serial numbers.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Similar in general reciever shape, however the rear mounting point is a plunger, the sporter just kinda has a tounge and groove design.

Varmint has a proprietary side charger that requires the BCG be notched, and the reciever is proprietary to Timney single pin trigger packs, and the barrel index pin was inverted to further distance itself from AR lineage. The Varmint also features an ambi bolt release that I am really disappointed was omitted from the sporter.
    Everyone wanted cheap!! You can't have all the frills without added cost.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

GunNutz
    Are the bolt and barrel in the MV compatible with standard AR-15 bolt and barrel? I’m considering getting a heavier barrel for my MV and using my light barrel for my MS project.

Quote Originally Posted by rberresheim View Post
    Are the bolt and barrel in the MV compatible with standard AR-15 bolt and barrel? I’m considering getting a heavier barrel for my MV and using my light barrel for my MS project.
    The bolt heads are the same, the carriers only differ in the fact that for the side charge handle to engage in the carrier a slot is cut along 1 side a little ways down. the bolt assembly from a Varmint WILL work in the Sporter or any AR but to make an AR bolt assembly work in a Varmint requires minor modification.

The barrel extension on a Varmint has the index pin 180 degrees out of phase, so again it can be made to fit a Sporter or AR with minor modification.

CGN Regular
    do they open/separate differently? i havent seen any pics or vids. Im wondering how easy this is to field strip compared to an SLR, which has a screw that you have to remove before sliding the upper off.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjuice View Post
    do they open/separate differently? i havent seen any pics or vids. Im wondering how easy this is to field strip compared to an SLR, which has a screw that you have to remove before sliding the upper off.
    They separate very easily, I'll see what I can do about a video to show swapping uppers tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jjuice View Post
    The Varmint is very easy to field strip. Push the front pin out, slide the upper forward and your done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast