Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Had a issue today with my WK

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Just came back from blasting away with the WK to test functionality...its awesome!

I fed it Norinco 5.56, and some reloads i had from a few years ago that are on the mild side. Primary concern was popping primers and tight chamber.

So far no issues. It fed from all my mags issue free other than the IMI beowulf mags but thats because the back rib where the follower rides up is too narrow and the mag trips the bolt hold open.

Its awesome...im giddy with it...other than the craptastic trigger, this thing is awesome...soft shooting, LIGHT, its almost as light as my SU16.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumlee Bumsnag View Post
    DON'T SHOOT FEDERAL INDEPENDENCE IN YOUR WK 180.
    People that are having problems are not having them where it can be attributed to any one particular brand of ammo.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    People that are having problems are not having them where it can be attributed to any one particular brand of ammo.
    With mine I have shot AE 55gr FMJ, Hornady steel match 55gr hp, Nosler custom 60 gr. They all ran perfectly until I tried Hornady Varmint express 55gr vmax. That’s when the blown / pierced primers started.

CGN Regular William_mississauga's Avatar
    How would you know if the primer was blown or it was the firing pin pericing a primer that is thin?
    Last edited by William_mississauga; 09-04-2018 at 10:21 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    No. You're wrong. Numerous posts on this thread and other WK threads stating the Federal Independence is causing problems is fairly indicative that it's not a good match for 'some' of these rifles.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by William_mississauga View Post
    How would you know if the primer was blown or it was the firing pin pericing a primer that is thin?
    The primer actually was blown right out of the case.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    More detailed update coming later I'm still out playing. This one's eating ammo much better

Here's a better pic just for a tease. Loving the decision to use the Troy irons instead of an optic.

Attachment 203518

Thought I'd take a few minutes and post this while I'm letting her cool off a bit. Can't hold the handguard with bare hands
    ***time for update on rifle #2***

I'm much happier with this one

To no surprise it ran the Federal Premium 55gr NBT with no issue. No pressure signs. Only ran 20 rounds of this because I wasn't going to keep wasting expensive ammo for no reason.

Ran 200 rounds of cheap MFS 55gr FMJ. Once again no issues and no pressure signs. The rifle actually loves eating this junk.

Now on to the Hornady 55gr v-max. Because this ammo was a problem in my first WK I chambered and ejected a few rounds without firing so I could inspect them first.

They did not get jammed into the bore and come apart when being extracted like on my first rifle HOWEVER there were still faint marks on the bullet where it did touch the lands. This is consistent with the marks my 3 other Wylde chambered barrels leave on this ammo. IMHO the Hornady v-max is too long for the Wylde chamber.

I went ahead and ran 120 rounds of the Hornady. I was determined to get it to pop a few primers like was happening on my first rifle but nope, not one. Fed and ejected perfectly fine. Only thing I noticed is that the rifle cycled a little harder.

Basically I ran the Hornady just to try and verify that my first rifle indeed has a problem and after seeing the difference between it and this one I'm convinced the chamber on my first rifle is a little out of spec.

Even though the Hornady v-max ran in my second WK it does still touch the lands and I would not recommend anyone use it in their rifle.

Now for the little bit of bad news.

I ran 80 rounds of the Winchester White Box 45gr JHP varmint "value pack" ammo and it does not work in this rifle either HOWEVER seeing that it exhibits the same behavior in this rifle as my other one I'm thinking it's ammo related and not the rifle.

The ammo runs good when the rifle is cooler. Feeds, extracts and ejects fine. Once the rifle gets hot it starts blowing primers and the extractor chews up the case rim.

Since on both rifles the Winchester works fine when the rifle is cool but not once it gets hot I'm thinking it's something to do with the ammo.

Attachment 203591

Attachment 203592

I'll get a few different kinds of ammo and run in this rifle but I'm pretty sure there won't be any issues.

I'll be keeping this rifle but my first one will be going back in to get the chamber checked.

Thanks for the update on your second rifle, interesting that it doesn’t show over pressure signs when cold but does when hot. Hopefully they use the correct reamer from here on out.
    Someone stop the planet and let me off for awhile. I need a break from all this stupidity!!! - posted by Northern Amateur

That's funny as I did contact them and they just said send the rifle to them. Not sure why they didn't do that.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalSparky25 View Post
    Thanks for the update on your second rifle, interesting that it doesn’t show over pressure signs when cold but does when hot. Hopefully they use the correct reamer from here on out.
    Ya kinda strange but I've seen stranger things than that before. I'll try the Winchester in a couple other semi-auto rifles and see if it does the same thing. That will confirm if it's definitely an ammo issue or not. I've only used it in a couple bolt actions before and never got them hot using it. It's not really the greatest ammo