Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Had a issue today with my WK

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    ALSO: ....Took a chunk out of my knucle on the gun, trying to slam the bolt back, and a couple times trying to force it into baterry.
    You should NEVER have to force a round into baterry. And if you do you should NEVER fire it.

BANNED
    Im really curious if Kodiak checks headspace on every single rifle before it goes out the door as part of QC?

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    You blew 203 primers and you plan to shoot it some more?
    Sounds to me like you should stop while you are ahead and contact the rifle manufacturer.
    If it is having that much trouble digesting factory ammo, I’d suspect an issue with the chamber and/or headspace.
    Sorry. 2-3 primers. Not 203.
    f:P

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    You should NEVER have to force a round into baterry. And if you do you should NEVER fire it.
    Well ####. Gopd thing I was.wearing eye pro.
    f:P

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    Well ####. Gopd thing I was.wearing eye pro.
    I be worried about more than just eye protection!

The thing here seems to Hornady brass cased ammo seems to be fine with these rifles. I've seen this behavior before with Hornady Superformance and Kel tec RFBS; my suspect is soft primers.

Firstly these are newly manufactured rifles with a warranty, please contact Kodiak defence if you have a problem, we do not expect you to have to fix a problem yourself.

Secondly if you have trouble chambering a round, STOP. Could be a foreign object in the chamber (I had it happen to me with a hunting rifles when a tiny piece of plastic from the cartridge packet was stuck to the round) If you force a round into the chamber you may have a catastrophic failure, something that should be avoided.

I have just had a discussion with Steve at Kodiak and have learnt the following.

In order to source enough chamber reamers (.223 Wylde) Kodiak sourced them from more than one manufacture. All reamers give correct head space but as .223 Wylde is a “new” caliber there are no SAMI specifications for the chamber. We are now seeing that some chambers are “tighter” than others and this is why we are seeing some problems with some ammo. Unfortunately we do not know which rifles were chambered with which reamers.

If you are experiencing any issues at all, please stop shooting with any “suspect ammo” and contact Service@Kodiakdefence.com

BANNED
    ^^^^Thanks for the clarification wolverine we know you got our back 100% if issues arise

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Firstly these are newly manufactured rifles with a warranty, please contact Kodiak defence if you have a problem, we do not expect you to have to fix a problem yourself.

Secondly if you have trouble chambering a round, STOP. Could be a foreign object in the chamber (I had it happen to me with a hunting rifles when a tiny piece of plastic from the cartridge packet was stuck to the round) If you force a round into the chamber you may have a catastrophic failure, something that should be avoided.

I have just had a discussion with Steve at Kodiak and have learnt the following.

In order to source enough chamber reamers (.223 Wylde) Kodiak sourced them from more than one manufacture. All reamers give correct head space but as .223 Wylde is a “new” caliber there are no SAMI specifications for the chamber. We are now seeing that some chambers are “tighter” than others and this is why we are seeing some problems with some ammo. Unfortunately we do not know which rifles were chambered with which reamers.

If you are experiencing any issues at all, please stop shooting with any “suspect ammo” and contact Service@Kodiakdefence.com
    I will concede that I don't know much about the chamber dimensions of .223 Wylde, but I can't reconcile these two comments.

1) All reamers give correct head space
    2) some chambers are “tighter” than others and this is why we are seeing some problems with some ammo

Based on the photos provided above, and given that the issues is common across firearms with a particular ammo manufacturer, I am confident it IS in fact an ammo issue. But that said, if all your reamers have correct head space, what variation is there in the reamers that causes some of them to be "tight" and therefore experiencing issues? What dimension on some of the ammo is causing the problem, if not head space? Is the diameter at the case body, or case neck? Something else?

I have two of these on order. Have all of the barrels for the next two thousand rifles been made? Now that you know about the issue, what can be done? How will I know if my rifles are right or loose when they show up?

I will reload for this rifle eventually, so measuring fired brass shouldn't be an issue. Is it possible to get the dimensions of the chamber reamer or of the intended chamber dimensions for reloading purposes? You mention there is no SAMI specs. Thats fine, but can we get YOUR specs?

Should I just avoid a certain type of ammo? I'm fine if thats the case, but it would be nice to know it definitively?

Just curious what the resolution might be. Still Can't wait to get these rifles.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post

Just going by a visual inspection of my fired brass I would say the chamber is on the tight side. There is virtually no visible expansion of my brass. I'll measure some fired and unfired rounds when I get a chance