Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Had a issue today with my WK

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    I just figured out myself that it looks like my rifle is short throated. I tried chambering and ejecting a round of the Hornady v-max without firing it and this was the result.

Attachment 201643

You can clearly see the mark from the case where the bullet was seated plus there is a significant mark forward of that showing that the bullet jammed into the bore because the throat is too short.

It was stuck hard enough that the bullet was pulled pretty much out of the case by the time I got it ejected from the rifle. I finished pulling the bullet with my fingers.

This is definitely what is causing the pressure issues, at least with the Hornady v-max. Although I didn't have as serious of issues with this ammo as Smokinyotes did I still had fired brass with pressure signs. I didn't try this with any other ammo to see if it showed the same signs.

I'll be contacting Kodiak Defense

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    I just figured out myself that it looks like my rifle is short throated. I tried chambering and ejecting a round of the Hornady v-max without firing it and this was the result.

Attachment 201643

You can clearly see the mark from the case where the bullet was seated plus there is a significant mark forward of that showing that the bullet jammed into the bore because the throat is too short.

It was stuck hard enough that the bullet was pulled pretty much out of the case by the time I got it ejected from the rifle. I finished pulling the bullet with my fingers.

This is definitely what is causing the pressure issues, at least with the Hornady v-max. Although I didn't have as serious of issues with this ammo as Smokinyotes did I still had fired brass with pressure signs. I didn't try this with any other ammo to see if it showed the same signs.

I'll be contacting Kodiak Defense
    If you still have any of these intact rounds, can you measure the OAL off the ogive, or end of bearing surface length, and compare it other manufactures of ammo that you might have? Are you sure its a short throat? Could be a long bearing surface on the ammo.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    If you still have any of these intact rounds, can you measure the OAL off the ogive, or end of bearing surface length, and compare it other manufactures of ammo that you might have? Are you sure its a short throat? Could be a long bearing surface on the ammo.
    I'm not going to disagree with you. That's still a possibility. My calipers are at the shop and I'm home early so measurements won't happen tonight.

I do know that the Hornady v-max is loaded long. Almost to max mag length. The only thing that leads me to my assumption of the WK's chamber being short throated is that I've ran this ammo through 2 other Wylde chambered rifles without issue.

Only other 223 ammo I have handy to compare against is the Federal Premium 55gr NBT and it is noticeably shorter than the Hornady. I actually think the FP will run in my WK without issue. I'm going to give it a try before I get serious about sending my rifle into Kodiak but I will still make them aware of the Hornady issue anyways.

Federal Premium on the left. Hornady v-max on the right.

Attachment 201660

Judging by the marks on my v-max bullet I pulled out of the WK180-C I don't think the Federal ammo will have the same issue.

Anyone using the Hornady should stop using it immediately.

All too often what is perceived to be a firearm issue ends up being just a matter of finding compatible ammo. Hopefully the Federal works in mine, it's better ammo anyways.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ljones's Avatar
    I'm not going to disagree with you. That's still a possibility. My calipers are at the shop and I'm home early so measurements won't happen tonight.

I do know that the Hornady v-max is loaded long. Almost to max mag length. The only thing that leads me to my assumption of the WK's chamber being short throated is that I've ran this ammo through 2 other Wylde chambered rifles without issue.

Only other 223 ammo I have handy to compare against is the Federal Premium 55gr NBT and it is noticeably shorter than the Hornady. I actually think the FP will run in my WK without issue. I'm going to give it a try before I get serious about sending my rifle into Kodiak but I will still make them aware of the Hornady issue anyways.

Attachment 201660

Judging by the marks on my v-max bullet I pulled out of the WK180-C I don't think the Federal ammo will have the same issue.

All too often what is perceived to be a firearm issue ends up being just a matter of finding compatible ammo. Hopefully the Federal works in mine, it's better ammo anyways.
    The shoulder looks the same on both but the neck of the case looks longer on the Hornady as well. What is the overall case length of the Hornady, and is it in spec?
    No such thing as too much ammunition or toilet paper...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Attachment 201660

Forget the calipers. That picture says it all.

OF course make Kodiak and all of us aware, but for me, that would not be an issue. For others it might be, and to each their own.

This is certainly a compatibility issue. I'm sure Kodiak will work a solution for anyone who needs one.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Regular
    Kodiak Defence has asked me to send my rifle back to inspect the throat and firing pin. I will be sending it back tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jza View Post
    Could someone educate me as to why they would chamber this in 223 Wylde over 5.56? I've shot a lot of .223 out of rifles chambed in 5.56. Have I been doing something wrong?
    223 wydle is nothing more than an excuse for sloppy manufacturing and the answer to a problem that never existed. I was down to buy a WK until i found out it was in 223 wylde. Now i will hold off until they are offered in a different caliber .
    Id Rather Be Judged By 12 Than Carried By 6

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
    Kodiak Defence has asked me to send my rifle back to inspect the throat and firing pin. I will be sending it back tomorrow.
    Good to hear......hope they pay the return shipping as it is not your problem there are issues with the rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcintyre1220 View Post
    223 wydle is nothing more than an excuse for sloppy manufacturing and the answer to a problem that never existed. I was down to buy a WK until i found out it was in 223 wylde. Now i will hold off until they are offered in a different caliber .
    I'd suggest maybe you do some research on the subject. I'm sure Bill Wylde would not agree with your determination.

Jiffx: you should mic those Hornady rounds. I've not seen factory .223/5.56 that wouldn't chamber in anything other than a custom cut/chambered barrel. Don't discount the possiblity the reaming of your chamber was done incorrectly.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

***update***

So I'm 90% convinced the Hornady v-max problem is only an ammo compatibility issue. I'll cover the other 10% that still leaves a little doubt in a bit.

I just tried 20 rounds of the Federal Premium 55gr NBT and 20 rounds of Winchester white box 45gr JHP varmint ammo. Neither ammo showed any pressure signs. I also chambered and ejected (without firing) a couple rounds of both and none showed any signs of being jammed into the bore like the Hornady was.

I took a couple measurements of the 3 ammo types:

-Hornady 55gr v-max
    Cartridge OAL 2.241
    Case Length 1.754

-Federal Premium 55gr NBT
    Cartridge OAL 2.177
    Case Length 1.737

-Winchester white box 45gr JHP
    Cartridge OAL 2.215
    Case Length 1.751

Now the measurements of the Hornady and Winchester aren't too much different. The only thing different is that the Winchester bullet starts to taper as soon as it is out of the case whereas the Hornady v-max has a long bearing surface that comes out of the case a ways before the bullet starts to taper. It's the long bearing surface of the v-max that is causing it to jam into the bore of my rifle.

Now the part that still causes me to doubt that this is entirely an ammo issue is that I've ran over 1500 rounds of the Hornady through various rifles without issue.

As beltfed said "I've not seen factory .223/5.56 that wouldn't chamber in anything other than a custom cut/chambered barrel. Don't discount the possiblity the reaming of your chamber was done incorrectly."

I've ran it through 3 different 5.56 chambered rifles. No issue. Yes I know the 5.56 has a longer throat.

I've ran it through 2 different 223 Wylde chambered rifles. Again no issue. At least until I tried it in them again today.

Fired a few rounds of Hornady in each of the Wylde chambered rifles. Fired brass showed no pressure signs. However when I tried chambering and ejecting a couple rounds without firing them the rounds from both rifles did have faint marks where they contacted the lands.

These marks were the same on rounds from both my other Wylde chambered rifles. They were no where as severe as the marks left on the round out of my WK's chamber and were not severe enough that the bullet would be jammed into the bore like is happening on my WK.

From my observations the Hornady v-max is loaded too long to use in my 223 Wylde chambered rifles. Not just the WK.

Now the part that is still leaving me believing that the chamber on my WK is short throated is due to my visual comparisons of unfired rounds ejected from the WK and two other Wylde chambered rifles.

Although the two other rifles did leave contact marks on the bullet they were wery faint. Whereas on the WK the rounds were clearly jammed into the bore far enough to get stuck and come apart when extracted.

Now that I have a better idea what's going on here should I simply stick to using ammo that I know is compatible with my WK? It's not the first rifle I've had to figure out what ammo works best in it.

Or should I see if Kodiak wants it back for inspection? Just to be on the safe side.