Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Had a issue today with my WK

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleDude View Post
    I'm betting that his "Wylde" chamber is in reality a .223 chamber. I've several AR15s chambered with a Wylde chamber. I shoot 75gr AMAX bullets with an overall length of 2.490". 55gr VMAX Hornadys would not come even close to touching the lands in any of my Wylde chambered ARs
    By the sounds of it, these aren't even chambered to .223 SAAMI specs. I'm going to go with rifles assembed with a short chamber and not finish reamed or reamed with a dull or otherwise N/S reamer.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMan View Post
    In my WK I shot Norinco 5.56 that would chamber and fire reliably.

However, inserting a round by racking the bolt, and then racking the bolt again to extract without firing would result in a slightly more difficult to extract round. I found this to be unusual as I routinely press check my C8 - not something I could do with the WK loaded with 5.56

I thought it could be due to the ammo.

That is to say; my serial number 2X rifle runs well but I suspect the 5.56 is engaging the lands upon chambering.

I have little concern as I’ve not had bullet separation as of yet.
    This doesn't sound right either. I'd recommend doing some measurements with an OAL guage at the least and following up with Kodiak.

As further info, I've created a bunch of dummy ammo with OALs out to 2.300" with popular rounds and all fit in and extracted from the chamber just fine.
    My serial number is in or about the 250 range.
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Cranky Pants's Avatar
    N.S.--Not far from the guy who killed bill C-391
    I had problems with the federal independance ammo seperating. No issues with blown primers but i will inspect spent cartridges closer in the future. My serial is under 20.
    "You can't fix stupid but you can bury it."
    CCFR member

The ogive on the Independence seems to reach out more than others.
    Managed a box of them no problem so far, though.
    Подай набої, є що стріляти. Think Plink!

There seems to be confusion ongoing so I'm going to quote Mr. Wolverine's answer from page 3. Some reamers are cutting chamber leades too tight to accept some 5.56. The solution is to contact Kodiak Defense and they'll ream out your barrel to solve this problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Firstly these are newly manufactured rifles with a warranty, please contact Kodiak defence if you have a problem, we do not expect you to have to fix a problem yourself.

Secondly if you have trouble chambering a round, STOP. Could be a foreign object in the chamber (I had it happen to me with a hunting rifles when a tiny piece of plastic from the cartridge packet was stuck to the round) If you force a round into the chamber you may have a catastrophic failure, something that should be avoided.

I have just had a discussion with Steve at Kodiak and have learnt the following.

In order to source enough chamber reamers (.223 Wylde) Kodiak sourced them from more than one manufacture. All reamers give correct head space but as .223 Wylde is a “new” caliber there are no SAMI specifications for the chamber. We are now seeing that some chambers are “tighter” than others and this is why we are seeing some problems with some ammo. Unfortunately we do not know which rifles were chambered with which reamers.

If you are experiencing any issues at all, please stop shooting with any “suspect ammo” and contact Service@Kodiakdefence.com

I'd like to offer an explaination if anyone would like to learn about what part of the chamber is causing these problems.

The leade, throat or freebore, is the part of the chamber where the bullet sits when the cartridge is chambered. There needs to be a sufficient amount of space to allow the whole cartridge to fit into the chamber. If the throat is not cut deep enough, the bullet is seated out further than spec or the bullet shape isn't compatible, the bullet will be jammed into the rifling of the bore. This causes problems when the round is fired as the initial pressure spike of the powder igniting is raised if there is no freebore for the bullet to have to travel through. The bullet is taken from stationary to being forced through the rifling immediately. Also, if the bullet is rammed further into the case, it can compress the powder charge and raise pressures as well. Which is what we are seeing. Cratered, pierced, and blown primers are all signs of over pressure.

The reason this problem wasn't caught by QC is a headspace gauge doesn't check this. It makes sure there's not excessive space for the cartridge brass to expand into to cause a case to stretch enough to rupture when fired. Unfortunately the only way to find out your chamber leade isn't long enough is to discover a bullet will jam itself into the lands of the rifling when it's chambered.

I hope that brick of text explains it well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Levon12345 View Post
    Some reamers are cutting chamber leades too tight to accept some 5.56
    Sorry, but that’s a poor excuse, and I’m not buying it. It’s quite frankly a cop-out. I’ve not encountered 5.56 NATO spec. (All loaded to mag. Length of 2.250” oal remember) Factory ammo that didn’t fit just fine in a .223 chamber, which is considerably shorter than wylde, but still sufficient to chamber any factory ammo loaded to mag length.

Quote Originally Posted by Levon12345 View Post
    The reason this problem wasn't caught by QC.... Unfortunately the only way to find out your chamber leade isn't long enough is to discover a bullet will jam itself into the lands of the rifling when it's chambered.
    This is pure Bullsh!t. They could run an OAL or a comparator gauge to check. I wouldn’t expect every one, but a few at the start of a run, one every 10 or 20 or so in the middle and a few at the end on the lathe would suffice.
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

Customer has a problem.
    Company discovers what caused the problem.
    Comapany takes steps to ensure problem doesn't continue.
    Comapny takes corrective action on existing unshipped stock.
    Comapany discovers they do not know which shipped rifles have said problem.
    Company takes ownership of problem and will fix any customer rifles under warranty.
    Everywhere else this would be called customer service.
    Not on this forum.
    The end.

L
    --------------------------------------------------
    "If sense is so common ..... why is it in such short supply?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Pants View Post
    I had problems with the federal independance ammo seperating. No issues with blown primers but i will inspect spent cartridges closer in the future. My serial is under 20.
    I just checked my rifle with the independence ammo. On an unfired round I need to mortar the rifle, while applying pressure on the charging handle to extract.

That seems too tight.

Should I send it back to have it resized?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by lmar View Post
    Customer has a problem.
    Company discovers what caused the problem.
    Comapany takes steps to ensure problem doesn't continue.
    Comapny takes corrective action on existing unshipped stock.
    Comapany discovers they do not know which shipped rifles have said problem.
    Company takes ownership of problem and will fix any customer rifles under warranty.
    Everywhere else this would be called customer service.
    Not on this forum.
    The end.

L
    Yup. Everything must be perfect to every last detail or the tantrums ensue. Should be the CGN motto.

I just checked my rifle with the independence ammo. On an unfired round I need to mortar the rifle, while applying pressure on the charging handle to extract.

That seems too tight.

If you have to mortar a live round out of the chamber, either the round has been damaged, improperly sized or trimmed to length (which on factory ammo is unlikely), or your chamber is non-serviceable. I'd recommend you get a hold of Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by driller212 View Post
    Everything must be perfect to every last detail or the tantrums ensue
    Aimed at me? I'm throwing a tantrum by discussing the issues and shedding light on what is the most likely cause?

First off, I'd say an improperly sized chamber is hardly a small detail, and second, it appears this isn't localized to just a couple of rifles.
    While I'm positive both Wolverine and Kodiak stand behind these rifles, I'd be expecting a recall at best, and at the very least some form of notification or acknowledgement by the Manufacturer to warn owners of potential issues, tell-tail signs and diagnosis. Outside of this particular thread, I haven't heard boo on this issue. I'm sure there are many purchasers of this rifle who may not even be aware of the thread or the issue.
    But whatever, my gun's fine - You guys enjoy your new rifles.

That seems too tight.

What do you mean by "mortar the rifle"?. I have never heard that.