CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 1 of 20 12345678911 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 196

Thread: Had a issue today with my WK

  1. #1
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Onoway Ab
    Posts
    182

    Had a issue today with my WK

    I have been using Hornady steel match, Nosler custom 60 gr and AE 55gr Fmj through my WK180C since I got it and have about 300 rounds through it without a problem.

    The other day I bought two boxes of Hornady 55 gr vmax. I fired a 3 shot group with the AE 55 gr to foul the barrel as I just cleaned it. After letting the rifle cool right down I loaded up 3 rounds of the Hornady 55 gr vmax. 1st shot fired but didnít eject and I couldnít get the empty case off the bolt face. I split the gun and pulled out the springs, guide rods and bolt. Here the primer had protruded so far out of the case it was hung up on the bolt face. After getting the spent shell out I put the rifle back together and loaded up 3 more. Of these 3 shots one primer had came out about 1/3 of the way and all 3 primers had been pierced. I loaded up two more rounds and had the same issues.

    Iím not sure if any one else has tried this ammo in their WK180C but it definitely doesnít work in mine. I then went back to using the AE 55gr and fired another 40 rounds without a problem.

  2. #2
    Wolverine Supplies - CGN Sponsor Mr Wolverine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manitoba. Canada
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
    I have been using Hornady steel match, Nosler custom 60 gr and AE 55gr Fmj through my WK180C since I got it and have about 300 rounds through it without a problem.

    The other day I bought two boxes of Hornady 55 gr vmax. I fired a 3 shot group with the AE 55 gr to foul the barrel as I just cleaned it. After letting the rifle cool right down I loaded up 3 rounds of the Hornady 55 gr vmax. 1st shot fired but didn’t eject and I couldn’t get the empty case off the bolt face. I split the gun and pulled out the springs, guide rods and bolt. Here the primer had protruded so far out of the case it was hung up on the bolt face. After getting the spent shell out I put the rifle back together and loaded up 3 more. Of these 3 shots one primer had came out about 1/3 of the way and all 3 primers had been pierced. I loaded up two more rounds and had the same issues.

    I’m not sure if any one else has tried this ammo in their WK180C but it definitely doesn’t work in mine. I then went back to using the AE 55gr and fired another 40 rounds without a problem.
    Please forward a full report to Kodiak, they can be reached at Service@kodiakdefence.com Thanks
    John Hipwell
    Wolverine Supplies
    Phone: (204) 748-2454
    Fax: (204) 748-1805
    E-mail: John@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com


  3. #3
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    317
    That sounds like an ammo issue, not a gun issue.

    Youza.
    NFA Ė CSSA

  4. #4
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Onoway Ab
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Youzawhale View Post
    That sounds like an ammo issue, not a gun issue.

    Youza.
    This is what I was thinking. After the issues I had with the Hornady vmax I took a good look at the primers and brass on the AE ammo. I couldn’t find any issues.

  5. #5
    Super GunNutz
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,855
    Just took my WK out today with 100 rounds of Hornady 55 grain v-max. I made out fine until round #98.

    This is how all of the first 97 looked after firing

    Name:  20180826_215725.jpg
Views: 6860
Size:  55.1 KB

    Name:  20180826_215417.jpg
Views: 6869
Size:  72.8 KB


    This is how round #98 looked after firing

    Name:  20180826_174938.jpg
Views: 6839
Size:  59.6 KB

    Ya that's unburned powder in the chamber and the bullet stuck in the bore just forward of the chamber. I've shot over 1500 rounds of the Hornady through semi-autos (mostly my xcr-l) and this was my first dud round.


    I use the Hornady when shooting a lot because it isn't priced too bad yet but if you're looking for a factory .223 round for yotes etc. you should pick up some of this stuff to try

    Name:  20180826_220706.jpg
Views: 6822
Size:  54.0 KB

    The Federal Premium isn't cheap but it is far better ammo than the Hornady. I only use the Federal Premium in my MV and it is more accurate than the Hornady.

    I'll have to give the Federal a try in my 180-C

  6. #6
    Super GunNutz
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,855
    ***EDIT***
    I just found one of these in my brass that I didn't notice until I looked closer

    Name:  20180826_221553.jpg
Views: 6758
Size:  46.5 KB

    Name:  20180826_221829.jpg
Views: 6748
Size:  43.5 KB

    You can clearly see the primer protruding where the pin struck it. This is the only round out of 98 fired.

    On all the other brass it seems the firing pin mark is very deep. Possibly soft primers in the Hornady ammo?

  7. #7
    CGN Regular bjjzak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The city that rhymes with "Fun"!
    Posts
    922
    Ammo she be. Too bad, greŗt way to ruin a day ŗt the range.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    -H. L. Mencken

  8. #8
    Big Mouth SigWig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,196
    Next time stop shooting sooner.
    Last edited by SigWig; 08-27-2018 at 08:31 PM.

  9. #9
    CGN Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Onoway Ab
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    ***EDIT***
    I just found one of these in my brass that I didn't notice until I looked closer

    Name:  20180826_221553.jpg
Views: 6758
Size:  46.5 KB

    Name:  20180826_221829.jpg
Views: 6748
Size:  43.5 KB


    You can clearly see the primer protruding where the pin struck it. This is the only round out of 98 fired.


    On all the other brass it seems the firing pin mark is very deep. Possibly soft primers in the Hornady ammo?
    Yup that’s what mine look like except with a little more black around them with the exception of one that the primer came completely out. After pulling it apart it looks as though the flame has damaged the tip of my firing pin and burnt the plating off it. I have sent pics of the ammo and firing pin to Kodiak Defence. This Hornady 55gr vmax is the exact same velocity as the Hornady Steel match that works so well in my rifle.

  10. #10
    Super GunNutz
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
    Yup thatís what mine look like except with a little more black around them with the exception of one that the primer came completely out. After pulling it apart it looks as though the flame has damaged the tip of my firing pin and burnt the plating off it. I have sent pics of the ammo and firing pin to Kodiak Defence. This Hornady 55gr vmax is the exact same velocity as the Hornady Steel match that works so well in my rifle.
    Thanks for posting Smokinyotes.

    Although I got through more rounds than you mine does show signs of issues and I will definitely discontinue using the v-max ammo.

    I'm going to give the Federal Premium NBT a try and see how it goes. I've noticed before that the Federal is better quality ammo than the Hornady.

    Sucks that you're firing pin got damaged because of crappy ammo

Page 1 of 20 12345678911 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •