Thread: Gun ranges near Edmonton area

Gun ranges near Edmonton area

So I’m in a bit of a pickle. I’ve always shot on a family friend‘s land but now we’re converting the land for animal use (though I’m fully on board, I’ve got a horse out there now).

I’m wondering if any CGN’ers know of outdoor or longer range gun ranges in the area. Basically Edmonton area besides south of it (I’m north, and I wouldn’t want to go straight through town or on a hen day drive for the day unless I had to).

I’ve heard the spruce grove range is closed, which is unfortunate because that likely would have been my best bet. Phoenix gun range in town is a little far and doesn’t sound too great for rifle shooting.

Thoughts anyone?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gnome75's Avatar
    There is the Sherwood park range but if you are northside you are looking at 1-1.5 hr drive. The range is awesome but the people are terrible, very snobby and breathing down your neck all the time. Chances are there is a waiting list right now also

There is Canadian Historical Arms society (CHAS) some times called Genesse range. I have never been there but its probably the best range around here. Its west of the city and probably an hour drive from the north side.

Phoenix is great for handgun shooting. Unless you go twice a month or more just pay for the day use. 40yards for rifle is pretty lame, especially coming from bush shooting. It is convenient for sighting in your hunting rifle though. Just wish they had the means for 25yards, much easier to sight in rifles at 25yards

Wild west is a tourist attraction.

CHAS to the West of the city is where I go. Ranges out to 800 Meters, lots of club steel targets, Cowboy action, Service Rifle, and 3 Gun leagues, and lots of positive direction with the range itself. Phoenix is nice too and is the place for IPSC if you're into that.
    I write on huntinggearguy.com

CHAS/Genesse for me
    pandering to paranoia produces pointless prosecutions of people

CHAS is about an hour and a quarter at most from the Namao (hwy 37) area. It’s a superb range and worth the drive. Typically it’s not too busy, especially if you can get there during the day on a weekday, so the drive time is offset by more time at the bench. The fee is 160 yearly. Check out www.chasclub.com.

Wildwood is ok too

inexpensive, guests are free for first few visits

CHAS is my vote. Supposed to be adding some more long ranges too

CGN Regular
    Smokey lake has range but it is a bit of a drive.

Wildwood is good but rustic