Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CMMG .22lr proprietary conversions

CMMG .22lr proprietary conversions

So with the SLR and now MS Hitting the markets, I see there definitely being a need for proprietary (to maintain non-restricted status) .22lr chambered AR barrels as well as BCGs.

The only one I've seen so far is the CMMG bolt and barrel kits in various lengths. I know you carry some of their other conversions, so Is this something you will consider bringing in? I know of at least 2 people who are interested in a "Honey badger" .22lr NR clone.

Thanks!
    I am a kit hor(der)

CGN frequent flyer
    I’ve said this in another thread for the MS, someone needs to check that the CMMG barrels are stamped 22LR or that the adapter collar is permanent on the barrel. The reason being is if there is any way to shoot 223 through that barrel and its under NR length you’ll be in possession of a non registered restricted rifle. I would ask CMMG before buying one of their kits to be sure.

I have a Spikes Bolt and barrel and the barrel collar and barrel are one solid machined part, marking it impossible to shoot 223 through it without heavy modification. It is an 11.5” barrel (just barely has a 26” OAL with a fixed carbine stock).

Good point. The CMMG doesn't have a gas port. It claims to have a .22lr chamber in the description but hard to know without holding one.
    I am a kit hor(der)

CGN frequent flyer
    Gas port is irrelevant in this case, if the RCMP lab can fire one round that’s all they need (when classifying for FRT that’s the case anyways). I believe Shaun from ATRS was looking into it as well for the CMMG barrels. If anyone asks them please post the response on CGN!

Yes obviously but my point is if you are taking an AR barrel and adding a .22lr collar then there would be a gas port. As a machinist i can tell you that if I am making a barrel for a proprietary .22lr bolt and not cutting a gas port, I sure as hell ain't reaming out a chamber for .223....
    Its possible, but I'm gonna say there is a next to 0 chance that you will be firing .223 out of that barrel without rechambering it.
    I am a kit hor(der)

CGN frequent flyer
    I totally agree with you. But what I don’t understand is why the collar? From the pictures it’s separate from the barrel. My Spikes barrel is a single piece of metal, collar and all. That’s why I’d confirm. Could be cheaper to make 223 barrels with no port and slap an adapter in place then to machine proprietary 22LR barrels separately.

Can’t find the email but I asked cmmg if the 9” dedicated barrel was stamped .22lr and they said it is stamped or engraved .
    Last edited by Tungsten316; 08-28-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Maybe it is just a barrel extension similar to how an AR has one. It's possible they did it in an effort to save machine time and material on the barrel, but hard to say. Either way my gut still tells me they should be good to go. But we'll have to see one first.
    I am a kit hor(der)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LuckyLuc82's Avatar
    Um JP enterprises sells a .22lr stamped barred kit that fits an AR receiver... no gas port, it’s what I bought

What about those conversion bolts?
    The ones where you pull out your 5.56 bolt, put in the .22lr bolt with the integrated chamber and drop in a new magazine and away you go.
    That should still be plenty good.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -- George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast