Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1222242526272829303132

Thread: Liberal Handgun Ban?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rocket Surgery's Avatar
    It's most likely going to be some weird system of central storage, grandfathering, and limits to the amounts of purchases you can make. None of which will keep the criminals from buying off the black market, but an innocent person will be made a criminal because they didn't have his papers in order, that I can assure you.

I've warned my non-political firearms owning friends, donated $1600.00 to gun friendly politicians, and I'm rethinking about joining an advocacy group. I was surprised that all of them got to speak in the Senate. My only question is, which one of them is the least incompetent? I stopped giving them money, but perhaps I should rethink my decision.

Well worst case (which I hope NEVER happens), I hope if they do the whole "handgun/assault ban" that crime rates go way way up. I understand that means innocent people will be hurt or killed but it will look good on all those who know F all about Canadian firearm ownership or the history of violence in humans. We all know this will solve nothing, and more then likely decrease safety in our communities. So hopefully it will make them then realize the narrow sighted solution of the situation.

Murder, rape, drugs, theft, racism, etc have all been seen as sins or crimes for millennia, and will continue on for millennia. No amount of additional laws or tree hugging "Sunny-ways" will ever stop it. The gang-bangers and life long criminals will always have access to firearms/weapons and will use them to do their dirty work. Toronto and other major cities will not skip a beat with the violence it has seen grow over the years. I don't know how many times I've read news articles in Canada about someone found with X amount of Drugs/cash and a handgun or rifle and they also have priors and parole violations etc.

All we can do is our best to involve new people who have never shot before to change their views or encourage them to get into the sport/hobby to grow our license holders, join gun clubs and associations and support politicians who have our best interests and understand what ownership means. And most importantly, follow the laws to not give them the chance to say, "I told you so" or "see they don't follow the laws either". Outside of that it's really out of our control. Snap decisions and fear mongering is hard to fight back against sometimes.

2019 is a very important year for Canada and us as a community. For the first in maybe Canada's history there is somewhat of a balance to our political parties. We now have two Left (Liberal) parties and two right (Conservative) parties. Hopefully long gone are the days of 2 v 1 with minority governments and the PPC and CPC will work together like we have seen the NDP and Liberals do in the past. Be informed and get out and vote. Don't listen to the polls from the MSM to trick you and don't let a politician tell you who or who not to vote for because so and so might win instead of them. Vote for someone who shares your views and interest and F'n Make Canada Great Again!

And a BIG thank you to GCN personnel who give us this great site to come on, talk issues, be informed and connect with other great Canadians to enjoy our passion and love for firearms and the skill that is marksmanship. Who knows where we would be without it!
    An armed individual is a citizen, an unarmed individual is a subject. Gun control is not about controlling guns, it’s about controlling those who use the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by MBaker View Post
    Well worst case (which I hope NEVER happens), I hope if they do the whole "handgun/assault ban" that crime rates go way way up.....
    Honestly, tl;dr

But I can tell you what's going to happen with crime rates under any sort of firearm prohibition: nothing. Any kind of ban will have absolutely no effect on crime rates, because as it is obvious to anybody with an ounce of sense, the guns that are being used in crimes in Canada are not part of the legal gun ownership framework.

What will happen, however, is there will be a very slight (almost immeasurable) dip in suicides by firearm, which the government quilt out as the greatest saving of lives in history. They will take the one or two examples of someone who didn't commit suicide by other means because they didn't have a handgun in the house as proof that gun prohibition save countless lives and is the greatest thing ever.

And speaking of things that should be obvious to anyone with a lick of sense, splitting the conservative vote is a terrible idea right now. If that doesn't make sense to you, look at the historical impact the NDP has had on liberal governments in the past. Bernier's ego and hubris will guarantee another liberal majority. The PCC is the best thing to happen to the Liberal Party since Kim Campbell. Just watch.
    Last edited by BCreserveMP; 02-21-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM

Simple solution...bring back the "Death Penalty"...

Any person or persons that commit a crime with a handgun that results in a "Death", will be given the "Death Penalty"...

CGN Regular groundskeeper willy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCreserveMP View Post
    Honestly, tl;dr

But I can tell you what's going to happen with crime rates under any sort of firearm prohibition: nothing. Any kind of ban will have absolutely no effect on crime rates, because as it is obvious to anybody with an ounce of sense, the guns that are being used in crimes in Canada are not part of the legal gun ownership framework.

What will happen, however, is there will be a very slight (almost immeasurable) dip in suicides by firearm, which the government quilt out as the greatest saving of lives in history. They will take the one or two examples of someone who didn't commit suicide by other means because they didn't have a handgun in the house as proof that gun prohibition save countless lives and is the greatest thing ever.

And speaking of things that should be obvious to anyone with a lick of sense, splitting the conservative vote is a terrible idea right now. If that doesn't make sense to you, look at the historical impact the NDP has had on liberal governments in the past. Bernier's ego and hubris will guarantee another liberal majority. The PCC is the best thing to happen to the Liberal Party since Kim Campbell. Just watch.
    Trust me when I say PPC will not have an impact on the election. Party is too new and membership too small- so small in fact it won’t register a blip on anybodys scale. Maybe a few elections down the line it might be a factor but it has a long long way to go before making a dent. I am hopeful for the PPC but realistic. I doubt they will even get 2 seats. Maybe not even 1. I like Bernier alot and wish him well and its too bad he isnt CPC party leader.
    Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer, Now I are one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBadge View Post
    Simple solution...bring back the "Death Penalty"...

Any person or persons that commit a crime with a handgun that results in a "Death", will be given the "Death Penalty"...
    Theres a recommendation that will cause a massive increase in handgun crime and cop shootings.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    Theres a recommendation that will cause a massive increase in handgun crime and cop shootings.
    Well, it's not something we ever have to worry about, because Canada will never bring back capital punishment. However, it's worth considering that it wouldn't have any impact anyway, because nobody ever commits a crime thinking they won't get away with it. There's no difference in Murder statistics between states that have capital punishment in those that do not. Criminals never think they're going to get caught. They don't consider the consequences of their actions.
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

Quote Originally Posted by groundskeeper willy View Post
    Trust me when I say PPC will not have an impact on the election. Party is too new and membership too small- so small in fact it won’t register a blip on anybodys scale. Maybe a few elections down the line it might be a factor but it has a long long way to go before making a dent. I am hopeful for the PPC but realistic. I doubt they will even get 2 seats. Maybe not even 1. I like Bernier alot and wish him well and its too bad he isnt CPC party leader.
    Don't be surprised if you see the PCC getting a lot of positive press in the lead-up to the next election. I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with you. The media is going to play up the PPC is a viable option very specifically so more people will vote for them, therefore splitting the conservative vote.