Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.6 Blackout Maverick SBR Truck/ATV/Tractor Gun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

8.6 Blackout Maverick SBR Truck/ATV/Tractor Gun

8.6 Blackout is designed to get high energy without a long barrel in a full powered rifle cartridge in .308 mags. Any thought on a 8.6 Blackout Maverick SBR Truck/ATV/Tractor Gun?

Cartridge and barrel overview:
    https://blog.refactortactical.com/bl...axon-firearms/

Kentucky Ballistics Watemelon Time:
    https://youtu.be/KoI00snJ8dM

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Would subsonic 8.6 Blackout help mitigate some hearing loss in SHTF predator self defense scenarios?

Without a can subsonics are quieter but still loud AF. So...kinda?
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

CCFR/NFA Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by vultr View Post
    Without a can subsonics are quieter but still loud AF. So...kinda?
    Thanks, thinking you might not have time for ear pro if a bear pops out at you. Would a subsonic 8.6 Blackout do enough damage to a griz it might go elsewhere for the meal?

If you listen to the podcast by the manufacturer, Q, the owner intends on taking it to Africa for big game and for moose. He does seem a bit bombastic, but it seems to be close to 338 Federal with lighter bullets. There's a few videos on YouTube as well that are worth the watch. Now if only we could own suppressors...
    Slava Ukraini!

CGN Regular
    This all seems nice but meanwhile still waiting on NRCAN to approve .277 fury ammo for sale/import into Canada.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hifiwasabi View Post
    If you listen to the podcast by the manufacturer, Q, the owner intends on taking it to Africa for big game and for moose. He does seem a bit bombastic, but it seems to be close to 338 Federal with lighter bullets. There's a few videos on YouTube as well that are worth the watch. Now if only we could own suppressors...
    And that is where I see the issue with this caliber. For those of us who can't own a suppressor I have troubles believing it'll do anything that a 338fed won't; and the 338fed didn't exactly take over the market...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

No it certainly didn't, but I acquired a Savage 99 with the sole purpose of being rebarreled to the Fed. I'm sure 8.6 would still be a nice hunting and target round, but you might have issues finding those 300+ grain projectiles for subsonic hunting.
    Slava Ukraini!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hifiwasabi View Post
    No it certainly didn't, but I acquired a Savage 99 with the sole purpose of being rebarreled to the Fed. I'm sure 8.6 would still be a nice hunting and target round, but you might have issues finding those 300+ grain projectiles for subsonic hunting.
    I would also be concerned about how much drop a 300+ gr bullet going barely over 1000fps is gonna have. At 8" they claim 950fps, and 1020fps from a 12" barrel. Extrapolate out to a 20" barrel and you're only at like 1160fps.

Now, that load is specifically designed to be sub-sonic, so I'm sure you can get more than that out of a 300, but I still can't imagine where this becomes anything more than a fancy 338 Fed without a suppressor. At least it uses common brass...sorta...

But then again there is so many cartridges out there that basically everything is redundant in one way or another. If you like unique stuff that would certainly fit the bill.
    Last edited by Suther; 08-30-2022 at 10:31 PM.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If you plan to use their specified 1:3 twist rate, first look up the spin drift of that. You'd be surprised how much it will be. A 270gr ELD-X at 2200 fps (not sure about load data but just a guess) will drift 7.7 inches at 400 yards just from spin drift. Kind of annoying, IMO. With a subsonic 1000 fps, you'll hit 7 inches of spin drift at 250 yards.

Whereas the spin drift on most cartridges at that distance is under an inch. Food for thought.
    ***** FREE THE WEST *****

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast