Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to be a range member before first handgun purchase in Ontario?

The CFO required a copy of a valid range membership on file the last time I purchased a restricted firearm. I assume you have to validate that you have a place to use the restricted firearm in order to purchase/transfer one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Geer View Post
    The CFO required a copy of a valid range membership on file the last time I purchased a restricted firearm. I assume you have to validate that you have a place to use the restricted firearm in order to purchase/transfer one.
    The Ontario CFO used to do the same thing, until a judge told them that they had no authority in law to require this.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post
    (can't quote, the format went crazy on me!)
    Odinson, I've happily edited my comment, totally understand where it could be misconstrued. Let's get back to the question at hand and not worry about the anti's so much! It's unfortunate we all have to worry about our wording so much.
    Thanks. We don't want to give someone like that screaming witch windy anything to latch on to .......

We are going to have our hands full just dealing with the BS from our boy blunder and his henchmen/women.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post
    I'm also in Ontario. You 100% do not need a range membership to purchase restricted.

Right now I don't even have my PAL/RPAL and have paid in full for 2 restricted firearms (still sitting at the shop, will initiate transfer when my RPAL is in). 1 from a store in Ontario, 1 from BC. Both shops told me they wont need me to provide any range information since I'm in Ontario as it is not required. You should be good to go!

If you really want to be safe, you can even just tell them whatever club you plan on joining (if any) and tell them you'll probably be joining in the spring as it's a little late in the year.
    You found two different gun stores that would take your money knowing full well you don't even have an RPAL? Cool story.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    You found two different gun stores that would take your money knowing full well you don't even have an RPAL? Cool story.
    What's the matter with that? I had done the same thing. Paid in full and a few weeks later I sent them my PAL info when it came in.

All online stores have a box for entering the RPAL number (or offer an email address to mail the same). Most websites will allow you to complete the checkout process for buying. This does not mean that you purchased the gun!

They will review your queued order, call the CFO with your RPAL and verify that you can indeed make such a purchase.
    If there is no RPAL, they will contact you and get it... or cancel the transaction all together if you do not have the license appropriate for the purchase

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jza View Post
    What's the matter with that? I had done the same thing. Paid in full and a few weeks later I sent them my PAL info when it came in.
    It just seems strange to me that a store would take and be liable for holding someone's money before they even have a PAL, which they might not ever get.

CGN Regular
    In Ontario, you can write "actively researching" where it asks for range info.

Quote Originally Posted by EZTRGT View Post
    Hi Folks,

Got my courses out of the way, application will be arriving in Miramichi today and have a down payment on a new G17 gen 5.

As the title suggests, I'd like to know if I should get a range membership before I get my ticket and start the transfer process? Will this speed things up? Who/where would I send this proof of membership? And is it really required before I can accept my first purchase? I'd kind of like to be able to go to a few ranges first and try them out before I make a commitment to one or the other.

Thanks,
    EZTRGT
    Kyle
    No

Most stores will ask but in Ontario it's not a requirement. I personally think it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    It just seems strange to me that a store would take and be liable for holding someone's money before they even have a PAL, which they might not ever get.
    I dunno about the paid in full part that the OP mentioned... But from experience with the online stores I have used (site sponsors), the order is accepted but not charged until the PAL is verified... I have entered 1 digit incorrectly, and had stores call me because they are unable to verify my RPAL with the CFO... It isnt until those errors are corrected and the PAL verified that I see the charge actually going against my credit card.

So...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast