Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to be a range member before first handgun purchase in Ontario?

Do I need to be a range member before first handgun purchase in Ontario?

Hi Folks,

Got my courses out of the way, application will be arriving in Miramichi today and have a down payment on a new G17 gen 5.

As the title suggests, I'd like to know if I should get a range membership before I get my ticket and start the transfer process? Will this speed things up? Who/where would I send this proof of membership? And is it really required before I can accept my first purchase? I'd kind of like to be able to go to a few ranges first and try them out before I make a commitment to one or the other.

Thanks,
    EZTRGT
    Kyle

CGN Regular
    It totally depends on what province you're in. I'm in Ontario and I got one of my most recent pistols before I got my range membership. In my experience the CFC doesn't even ask and in Ontario the CFO doesn't make it a requirement. That said, in other provinces I believe the CFO asks for your range membership before they will finalize the transfer.

I'm also in Ontario. You 100% do not need a range membership to purchase restricted.

Right now I don't even have my PAL/RPAL and have paid in full for 2 restricted firearms (still sitting at the shop, will initiate transfer when my RPAL is in). 1 from a store in Ontario, 1 from BC. Both shops told me they wont need me to provide any range information since I'm in Ontario as it is not required. You should be good to go!

If you really want to be safe, you can even just tell them whatever club you plan on joining (if any) and tell them you'll probably be joining in the spring as it's a little late in the year.
    Last edited by MoMoney; 09-04-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Super Moderator
    If you plan on actually shooting your restricted firearm, you might want to research clubs and ranges. Depending on where you live in ON, and on how far you are prepared to drive, your options may be limited. Many clubs have waiting lists.

[QUOTE=MoMoney;15204764]I'm also in Ontario. You 100% do not need a range membership to purchase restricted.

[B]Right now I don't even have my PAL/RPAL and have paid in full for 2 restricted weapons. 1 from a store in Ontario, 1 from BC. Both shops told me they wont need me to provide any range information since I'm in Ontario as it is not required. ]
    ]

Some folks would see only that you "don't even have my PAL/RPAL and have paid in full for 2 restricted weapons" and jump to the wrong conclusion because some folks equate payment with taking possession. A firearm, knife, sword or baseball bat is NOT a weapon until it is used as a "weapon". I think you need to be a lot more clear on your purchases! The way your comment reads, it could easily be misunderstood! You may be able to buy a firearm, pay for a firearm BUT no LEGAL vendor is going to deliver it to you without proper proof of you being legally able to posses said firearm.
    We don't need more anti's latching on to vague comments and running with them.

(can't quote, the format went crazy on me!)
    Odinson, I've happily edited my comment, totally understand where it could be misconstrued. Let's get back to the question at hand and not worry about the anti's so much! It's unfortunate we all have to worry about our wording so much.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    You don't need to be a club member in Ontario to own one, but you do if you ever want to use it.

Thanks Guys,

Hell yeah, I plan on using it. Didn't buy it to hold papers down on my desk or make googly eyes at it all day, lol.
    I just wanted to know if I could complete the transfer without a range membership. I do plan on getting one, I just want to make sure it's the right one for me. Of course, beggars cant be choosers, so I'll take what I can get but I'd like to be able to shoot some rifles in the future and 25m indoor isn't much of a challenge to me.

And yes, I'm in Ontari-ari-ari-O!

Cheers,
    EZTRGT
    Kyle

They should be okay with issuing the transfer even without a range membership.
    When you call to confirm the transfer they will ask you about your intentions for the restricted firearm. If you respond that it is for target shooting, then they may ask a follow up question as to where you intend on using the firearm. Responding that you intend to join a specific range (or a selection of more than one but need to check them out first) should be sufficient for them.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by EZTRGT View Post
    Hi Folks,

Got my courses out of the way, application will be arriving in Miramichi today and have a down payment on a new G17 gen 5.

As the title suggests, I'd like to know if I should get a range membership before I get my ticket and start the transfer process? Will this speed things up? Who/where would I send this proof of membership? And is it really required before I can accept my first purchase? I'd kind of like to be able to go to a few ranges first and try them out before I make a commitment to one or the other.

Thanks,
    EZTRGT
    Kyle
    NO. You do not need to be a member of a club in order to buy a restricted firearm in Ontario. The law is the same In other provinces, but some CFOs have made up their own rules and gun owners there have yet to challenge them on it.

There are some ranges that will let you shoot without a license or membership, under the direct supervision of range staff. Whether or not they have what you are considering buying is a crap shoot. Best bet is to call around.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast