Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to be a range member before first handgun purchase in Ontario?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VICIOUS's Avatar
    What area are you in and what do you wish to do with the gun? As a collector, range shooter, competition, IPSC, IDPA, drug dealer and gangster.
    Others may suggest a good club to check out in your area.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar001 View Post
    No

Most stores will ask but in Ontario it's not a requirement. I personally think it should be.
    And here is another gun owners asking for more layers of gun control.... This is the real reason why gun ownership is doomed in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by M16LR.50 View Post
    I dunno about the paid in full part that the OP mentioned... But from experience with the online stores I have used (site sponsors), the order is accepted but not charged until the PAL is verified... I have entered 1 digit incorrectly, and had stores call me because they are unable to verify my RPAL with the CFO... It isnt until those errors are corrected and the PAL verified that I see the charge actually going against my credit card.

So...
    What you describe makes sense to me. But even then, having an active order that may or may not commit inventory without the guarantee of sale for weeks, maybe months, I don't understand why a store would bother taking the chance. Seems like a hassle. But I guess if someone who doesn't have a PAL is just in a hurry to give up their money, a store who refuses might lose the sale altogether. Just never would have expected it, thats all.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    And here is another gun owners asking for more layers of gun control.... This is the real reason why gun ownership is doomed in Canada.

What you describe makes sense to me. But even then, having an active order that may or may not commit inventory without the guarantee of sale for weeks, maybe months, I don't understand why a store would bother taking the chance. Seems like a hassle. But I guess if someone who doesn't have a PAL is just in a hurry to give up their money, a store who refuses might lose the sale altogether. Just never would have expected it, thats all.
    And this is why they're the business owners, and not you!

Both purchases were for items that were on sale for a significant discount, so I asked if they would allow me to pay and hold until my PAL/RPAL comes in as I'd be paying significantly more for the same firearm. Both of them seemed more than happy to allow me to. I asked both if there would be a time when they'd stop holding it for me if my PAL got delayed for a long time, both actually responded telling me they don't care if it's 1 month or 6 months. They're both more than happy to hold the firearms for me. Sure.. maybe I don't actually get approved.. but if there were a chance of that I probably wouldn't be comfortable dropping $5k+... and I'm sure the businesses know that too! Not that I don't have faith in the process, I just know my own personal background and know there's nothing I could be rejected for.

A new firearms owner is going to spend what, tens of thousands of dollars in their life on guns? From a business standpoint, being the first business they purchase from and also the first business they have a great experience with could go a long way in terms of ensuring a repeat customer.

Both stores that went out of their way to do this for me will without a doubt be getting more service from me as a direct result of their kindness.

All of that said, I don't see what you're seemingly upset or concerned about. If my PAL/RPAL gets rejected, you're acting as if they're going to give me the firearms anyway... I have full confidence that they wont give me my firearms until I have my PAL number and have a transfer approved. I also know that at the price I purchased both guns at, they could easily refund me and sell at full price and make more money anyway. Not like I'd be out here buying restricted guns at full price a month before my PAL comes for no reason..

No

Most stores will ask but in Ontario it's not a requirement. I personally think it should be.
    Your logic behind this being..?
    KABOOM!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post

Both purchases were for items that were on sale for a significant discount, so I asked if they would allow me to pay and hold until my PAL/RPAL comes in as I'd be paying significantly more for the same firearm. Both of them seemed more than happy to allow me to. I asked both if there would be a time when they'd stop holding it for me if my PAL got delayed for a long time, both actually responded telling me they don't care if it's 1 month or 6 months. They're both more than happy to hold the firearms for me. Sure.. maybe I don't actually get approved.. but if there were a chance of that I probably wouldn't be comfortable dropping $5k+... and I'm sure the businesses know that too! Not that I don't have faith in the process, I just know my own personal background and know there's nothing I could be rejected for.

A new firearms owner is going to spend what, tens of thousands of dollars in their life on guns? From a business standpoint, being the first business they purchase from and also the first business they have a great experience with could go a long way in terms of ensuring a repeat customer.

Both stores that went out of their way to do this for me will without a doubt be getting more service from me as a direct result of their kindness.

All of that said, I don't see what you're seemingly upset or concerned about. If my PAL/RPAL gets rejected, you're acting as if they're going to give me the firearms anyway... I have full confidence that they wont give me my firearms until I have my PAL number and have a transfer approved. I also know that at the price I purchased both guns at, they could easily refund me and sell at full price and make more money anyway. Not like I'd be out here buying restricted guns at full price a month before my PAL comes for no reason..
    I am not upset or concerned.Nor did I suggest they would give you the guns anyways. I specifically mentioned refunding money.

I hadnt considered availing yourself of a sale price. That makes sense. I was just surprised thats all, but clearly as you say it is worth the hassle. Thanks for explaining.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post

Exactly.

While I think I should have probably asked what would happen if I failed to get my RPAL at the store, I'm sure any reasonable store manager/owner would charge a restock fee based on how long they've held it for, and any reasonable buyer, would suck it up. Already wasted $300 on the course....
    I might add that my firearm purchase is a G17 Gen 5, so it's relatively new and therefore probably fairly easy to sell, hence I cant see me eating it big time provided its not sitting there for 3 months. That and I had an FAC years ago and nothing has changed, except I'm older, greyer, and less tolerant of BS, lol. I'm pretty confident I'll get my ticket.

And yes, customer service goes along way. One store I went into was pretty cheap compared to others, but wouldn't let me touch anything. The other let me see anything I wanted, including firearms that were way out of my price range as a noob. They also took the time to answer my stupid questions and help me make a decision on my first firearm. And they cost a little more. But guess who got my business? The staff there are pretty cool and even though they might cost a bit more, they've got me as a customer for a long time. And who wouldn't want to catch a noob as a salesman? You know they're going to spend money so sink the hook!

That and nothing sucks more than setting your heart on something, only to find it sold out and on backorder when you can afford/get your license/have the time etc.

Cheers,
    EZTRGT
    Kyle

Guys my opinion on all this is that our government has some crazy rules when it comes to firearms, my opinion. It be nice to go to range and use a supresor so it is easier on ears .And if they trust us with prohibited and restricted firearms cant se why not be able to register like fire arm. I know there was a research on murders by supresors and in 10 years there was only 2 cases. I belive people are jus not educated a nuff on supresors and firearms,my opinion. People wach to manny movies. It is like no mater what alarm sistem you use if someon likes to brake in they will it just maters of time . There is firearms non restricted that can hit targets over 2 km ,and there is some firearms that are prohibited and you cant even buy ammo for them . It all pending on politics.it is sad that when somting gos wrong people look always on gun owners, becouse it is easier youst to blame us. Mabey our education sistem on firearms shuld be stronger ,so people would not have fake fear.just my opinion. Mabey on day! Happy shooting.....
    MEMBER OF, CHAS,NFA,HUP,CCFR AND BZSD

ive bought 3 restricted firearms in ON without a range membership

CGN Regular
    No such need in Ontario. You don't need a range membership and Ontario gun stores don't ask for it.

CGN Regular
    In a place where the creeps won’t get me lol
    No

That is really fvcking stupid of you to say, especially in a forum/website like this. Glad you are banned. Idiot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast