Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I will bring my Fenix light to backpacking trips ALL the time now

I will bring my Fenix light to backpacking trips ALL the time now

I normally do not bring my TK20R to backpacking trip because it is a bit big and heavy, but for whatever reason in the last trip I think it "might" be a good idea to bring it along.

Long story short, me and a few people were caught in bad weather and some ended up in mild hypothermia. While it was completely unnecessary, someone made contact and whoever on the government side decided to send a helicopter so to be on the safe side ( and therefore we did not have to pay for it). The SAR had our location from the GPS but they were not able to locate our marker, who was wearing a regular headlamp and a reflective space jacket.

At this point I took my TR20R and cranked up at the 1000 lumen turbo setting. I waved the light in the direction of the roto noises. Within a minute or two, the SAR tech emerged from about 300m over the crest. The SAR tech then borrowed my light to direct the chopper to the landing area.

It was a bit of a silly rescue, but from now on I am going to carry a high power light with me. Without the 1000 lumen Fenix light, the helicopter would be running around in circle and it could be a circus for awhile. A one in thousand event, but this little weight ends up saving a lot of grief!

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Wow. Glad you are all safe. Maybe I should consider these Fenix lights before throwing my money to Surefire.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Yes my Fenix TK 22 goes everywhere I do when out in the bush.

Glad you’re alright greentips! I’ve been in a very similar situations. Let’s hope that’s the last time.

Glad you made it alright.

I am a huge fan of my Fenix, and pack it with me in the truck everywhere I go. When I set out on foot it goes into the bag. I can not begin to count how many times I have felt relief that I have had my Fenix rather than some piece of garbage from Walmart. Haven't had to flag down any helos, but glad to know it's an option haha!

its also great for catching raccoons in your cooler

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    I've had an E35UE for a few years now, and it's an EXCEPTIONAL piece of kit. I rarely leave home without it. I won't buy anything BUT Fenix going forward either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudbury shooter View Post
    its also great for catching raccoons in your cooler
    HAHAHAHA! I feel like there is a great story there!

I have a LD41 that uses 4 AA batteries. At 960 Lumens, it throws a pretty strong beam as well. Thanks OP, that is good to know, I will make sure to carry it more often in the woods in the future.

BANNED
    Glad you folks made out ok GT, sometimes those borderline situations can go downhill in a hurry.

Got a Fenix on my AR , PD35 ? Love it. 3 years now and it has done everything expected of it. I find it very easy on batteries. Maybe a rechargeable Fenix is in order to replace the Maglight I normally have at hand around the farm.

Looking forward to see if there are any negative comments on Fenix as well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast