Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First pistol purchase, need some feedback.

First pistol purchase, need some feedback.

While waiting for my RPAL to arrive I have been shopping for my first pistol. I am looking at four, a Beretta APX FDE, Glock 19 Gen 4, S&W SD9 VE, or the Girsan MC 28 Sa in desert sand. All four are chambered in 9mm Luger. Just wondering if anyone who owns any of these or has shot them has any input both good and bad. Have been to the range with a buddy and shot his Glock 17 Gen5 but that is it for my pistol experience.
    Last edited by 3738; 09-11-2018 at 09:32 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gnome75's Avatar
    I will speak to what I actually have experience with.

Glock is just ok. They are super reliable and are just as accurate as any other duty style handgun. Accessories galore comes with the glock.

You don't have the M&P9 on your list which I would recommend. They do come in a tan colour. They are fantastic guns, I have carried both and I think the M&P is the better gun. Not as many fancy custom things like glock but I like keeping thing stock any way.

I hear the MC28 is an M&P9 copy so it is probably pretty awesome too.

The Beretta is the best of the four.

CGN frequent flyer 84fuegoturbo's Avatar
    Another vote for the APX

My vote goes to the G19 Gen 4 ..if I were to only keep one out of your list it would be the Glock for a variety of reasons. ..I wouldn't count out a Glock 17 tho either.

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    I have the APX and an SD9VE (you know the VE stands for Value Enhanced)
    The APX is a good choice for the budget.
    The SD9 has a gritty factory trigger with a heavy trigger pull. Not a really nice pistol to shoot a lot.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome75 View Post

I hear the MC28 is an M&P9 copy so it is probably pretty awesome too.
    From what I have read the MC28 is essentially a clone of the M&P9 but at half the price tag so that is why I didn’t include it, that being said you get what you pay for and makes me hesitant on the MC28. All the add ons of the Glock aren’t my thing just like the simplicity and reliability of them. I appreciate all the input as I am totally new to handguns...

I am leaning towards the Beretta APX though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamederek View Post
    My vote goes to the G19 Gen 4 ..if I were to only keep one out of your list it would be the Glock for a variety of reasons. ..I wouldn't count out a Glock 17 tho either.
    What are some of the reasons for going with the Glock?

CGN Regular
    I have a few Glocks...17, 19, 21, 22, 34. I have them because they are rugged, the mags are easy to source, and they are pretty much fool proof. I've never had a significant malfunction that wasn't ultimately my fault, usually with bad reloads. I've fired thousands of rounds from my Glocks. I love the 17 or 19 Gen4 the most. They aren't pretty guns, but they are dependable...and getting more inexpensive.

I would nix the SD9. It's a cheaper gun and you can pay only a little more to get the M&P9...a far nicer gun. Consider a range kit and get most everything you need starting out.

One cant go wrong whith Glocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast