Thread: Mossberg 590 Marine Coat.

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar

Mossberg 590 Marine Coat.

With the higher exchange rate in the last couple of years, we have seen the price of 590A1 Shotguns has climbed to over $800.00 in the Parkerized models. In a Marine Coat finish and flex stock, this has made this model, an incredible bargain. We have been stocking this model continuously for the last 18 months. Unfortunately our distributors inventory is very low (20 Units out of an original 600).

We currently have 2 in stock and 4 on the way for us. This deal will probably only be around for another 1-2 weeks.

Great deal! If I didn’t already have one, I’d be snapping this up!

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdoc View Post
    Great deal! If I didn’t already have one, I’d be snapping this up!

It’s a Mossberg. I guess if I were sailing in pirate infested waters this might come in handy.
    America last
    America can never be great again until...
    Dream revolver Ruger 0456
    Pass on pre-orders

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    It’s a Mossberg. I guess if I were sailing in pirate infested waters this might come in handy.
    The 590 Models came in very handy with the USMC in Iraq.

http://www.mossberg.com/the-mighty-590a1/

The 590A1: “The Mighty 590”
    by Jeremy Stafford

Well of course I’m going to say great things about the 590A1, it’s the Mossberg Blog, right? Well yes, but here’s the thing: I carried the 590A1 for months in Iraq. I trusted my life to it and over the course of several firefights, it never let me down.

I was already a fan of the design before I got called up in late 2002. As a Police firearms trainer as well as a USMC Primary Marksmanship Instructor I had plenty of experience with pump action shotguns, and the 590A1 was a always a favorite because it is such a beast. Easily manipulated, all-steel safety that doesn’t require the shooter to contort their hands, and bet-your-life reliability. I don’t use the term “bet your life reliability” loosely: I did bet my life on the Mossberg and it never let me down.

In this case riding backseat in an unarmored Hummer towards a little city called Sumar on the outskirts of Baghdad. We had received some information that the local Baathists (Saddam’s boys) were making life miserable for the locals, and we were on our way to do something about it. Yes, Marines look for trouble.

Author (center) in Baghdad, during his years of service

On the way in to the city, I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye from the window of a large building. As I turned to look, I saw numerous men with Ak’s crawling out the window and running around the building. Realizing that they were trying to set up a hasty ambush, I called it out and jumped out of the slow moving Hummer, sprinting to cut them off. With the gift of 20-20 hindsight I might have chosen a different course of action, but at the time, I was very worried that they would be able to get a good angle set up to ambush our slow moving convoy.

As I sprinted ahead of our column, I rounded a corner and charged right into the ambush. Not my smartest moment, but luckily my bravado outmatched the bad guys’ skill level. As I skidded to a halt in a hail of incoming 7.62 X 39, the Mossberg 590A1 came to my shoulder. I remember the sun glinting off of the gold bead sight and the buck of the gun into my shoulder, but I heard nothing. I was aware of the sound but I don’t remember hearing it. The one ounce lead slug erupted from the barrel and slammed into the first Baathist, spinning him and throwing him to the ground. He maintained control of his AK, but the next slug caught him in the torso, ending the threat.

stafford2, 590A1

As General Mattis once said, “The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event.” It’s true. I was slightly overwhelmed by the moment and I fixated on the dying man. Luckily, I’ve been trained by some of the best. That training kicked in and I remembered to assess, breaking my tunnel vision. Not more than 10 yards away, there was another Baathist spraying me with wild full auto AK fire. Once again the 590 came to my shoulder and once again, a Baathist lay dead on the ground.

Before the fight ended, the 590 roared several more times with the result always the same. Mistakes were made and lessons were learned, but in the end, good training and a great shotgun saved my like and allowed me to return home to my family.

I was awarded a Bronze Star with a “V” for the events of that day, but some of my greatest take aways were a realization that training is the most important thing in a gunfight, and a new appreciation and respect for Mossberg–guns you can trust in a gunfight. I’m looking forward to talking to you about both topics in the future on this Blog.

Stay Safe, Stay Ready.

Stafford on patrol with his 590A1

Jeremy Stafford spent over 13 years in the Marine Corps and Marine Corps Reserve, with deployments to Iraq, Southeast Asia and the Horn of Africa, receiving the Bronze Star with Valor device for combat operations in Iraq. Today he is a full-time sworn Police Officer and currently assigned to the Police Academy, where he develops and updates lesson plans and programs including the Handgun Instructor Training School and the MACTAC (Multiple Attack Counter Terror Action Capabilities) curricula. Jeremy is also a regular contributor to Guns & Ammo Magazine; Book of the AR-15; Combat ARms, and the website Breach Bang Clear.
    Last edited by Frontier Firearms; 09-19-2018 at 06:52 PM.