Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two quick questions before I place my order...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tengoo's Avatar

two quick questions before I place my order...

1] The 20" DA-AR15 barrel....does it take the mid-length gas tube on your site? It would be nice if that info was included on the barrel spec page.

2] Do primers have to be shipped by CanPar, or will Canada Post handle them?

That's all....thanks.
    "Pity the poor opponents of the right to keep and bear arms! They must distrust just everybody except criminals and except
    the tyrant to whom they concede the armed monopoly of their protection." -- Pierre Lemieux [LIBERTY Magazine Nov. '97]

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengoo View Post
    1] The 20" DA-AR15 barrel....does it take the mid-length gas tube on your site? It would be nice if that info was included on the barrel spec page.

2] Do primers have to be shipped by CanPar, or will Canada Post handle them?

That's all....thanks.
    I just bought the 20" DA barrel; it takes a rifle length gas tube, and a 5/8" gas block. It shoots really well, but is 1:12 rifling and is chambered for .223, so 55gr. should be about the upper limit... but I am going to experiment with home loads. Mine runs like a top:

Quote Originally Posted by Meroh View Post
    I just bought the 20" DA barrel; it takes a rifle length gas tube, and a 5/8" gas block. It shoots really well, but is 1:12 rifling and is chambered for .223, so 55gr. should be about the upper limit... but I am going to experiment with home loads. Mine runs like a top:
    Thanks! I guess I can delete the mid-length tube from my order then. This is another bit of info that would be useful on the barrel spec page...I have to say I get impatient with vendors that seem unable to include important details on a sales webpage...
    "Pity the poor opponents of the right to keep and bear arms! They must distrust just everybody except criminals and except
    the tyrant to whom they concede the armed monopoly of their protection." -- Pierre Lemieux [LIBERTY Magazine Nov. '97]

primers can't be shipped by Canada Post...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by srnm View Post
    primers can't be shipped by Canada Post...
    They shiped my barrel CanPar and it was reasonable. For what ever reason, I was unable to track the shipment until the day it arrived, but it did not take as long as one would think from BC to Ontario. I think CanPar can ship primers.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    site has been updated with the gas tube info

Canada post will not handle any dangerous goods

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    site has been updated with the gas tube info

Canada post will not handle any dangerous goods

Thanks
    Okay...CanPar it is. Canada Post would have been handier, but no problem.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Johnyy's Avatar
    Are you sure these are {only}.223 Stamped/Chambered? I thought CA sold DA 5.56 rifles? One of the reasons I didnt buy a Newer 10.5. They are only recommend-or stamped' for .223 now-I have a Norinco 20" QC 311 & it is 5.56. If you reload, a 223 {only} chamber may not be a big deal, but usually the deals in buying bulk are the 5.56. I understand the '1/12' likes heavier bullet weight, but there is still allot of 5.56 I wouldn't NOT want to shot through an AR build.
    Last edited by Johnyy; 09-17-2018 at 11:14 AM.

They shiped my barrel CanPar and it was reasonable. For what ever reason, I was unable to track the shipment until the day it arrived, but it did not take as long as one would think from BC to Ontario. I think CanPar can ship primers.
    Because Canpar is terrible?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyy View Post
    Are you sure these are {only}.223 Stamped/Chambered? I thought CA sold DA 5.56 rifles? One of the reasons I didnt buy a Newer 10.5. They are only recommend-or stamped' for .223 now-I have a Norinco 20" QC 311 & it is 5.56. If you reload, a 223 {only} chamber may not be a big deal, but usually the deals in buying bulk are the 5.56. I understand the '1/12' likes heavier bullet weight, but there is still allot of 5.56 I wouldn't NOT want to shot through an AR build.
    Other than head-space, there should be no reason not to shoot 5.56. A heavier bullet is a bigger bullet; therefore it will have a fuller profile to the ogive, this in turn may result in a head-space issue if the bullet contacts the rifling (head space interference).

Regarding this barrel; I won't know until I check the chamber with 5.56 head-space gauges; Generally, heavier bullets like faster twists; lighter, faster bullets need a slower twist. 1:12 is better suited to lighter bullets; while 1:7 for heavier. Spinning a fast bullet too fast can cause them to disintegrate from centrifugal force: .223 traveling 3250 FPS in a 1:12 barrel = 3250 revolutions per second or 19200 RPM; through a 1:7 barrel it would be spinning at 32914 RPM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast