Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do arrests show up in the background check outside of charges?

Question Do arrests show up in the background check outside of charges?

Hey everyone,

I have no worries about being rejected, but the longer I've been waiting the more I'm wondering about how incidents outside of charges show up in their background checks, or if they do at all? And if they do, what threshold hits a "red flag" where it goes to someone else or results in a delay?

Do only charges show up?
    Do arrests show up if nothing ever made it to court? If so, do they generally care or do they figure if you weren't charged it's not a worry?

About 4.5 years ago I was arrested. I think I had a pocket knife on me, and there was a replica paperweight brass knuckles in my car that they had taken (was sold at pawn shops at the time as paper weights, was a cool novelty.. lol). No charges ever came from it as it was essentially a misunderstanding.

So long story short, would any of that even show up if I wasn't charged? I told my course instructor about the whole incident in a bit more detail and he said he didn't believe any of it would even show up, let alone be an issue. But I've learned over time the guy was misinformed about a lot of things, so now I'm curious if it would show up.

I know it wouldn't be enough for them to reject my application (I think anyway?) but would it be enough to get flagged and have significant delays in my application process? Or will only a real charge or court appearance do that?

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by MoMoney; 09-17-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Super Moderator
    F.I.P. file. You could do an A.T.I. request to see what yours says.

A record of an arrest will pop up on a search for 5 years. At least that is what a friend learned after charges against him were dropped as being without substance. He was quite upset when he learned this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    F.I.P. file. You could do an A.T.I. request to see what yours says.

A record of an arrest will pop up on a search for 5 years. At least that is what a friend learned after charges against him were dropped as being without substance. He was quite upset when he learned this.
    Ah, amazing. So that's essentially what the CFO would see?
    I know if it's on there, it'll probably cause a hold up.. but I know if they have the ability to dig any deeper or talk to the arresting officer it wont cause me any problems.

Kind of unfortunate they consider an arrest without a charge something to hold you up for. I get it, due diligence etc.. but if it were legitimate it would've resulted in a real charge. Oh well.

Thanks for the info.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Were u fingerprinted and if so did u request that the prints be destroyed when the charges were withdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
    Were u fingerprinted and if so did u request that the prints be destroyed when the charges were withdrawn
    Hmmm I don't totally recall. I think I was fingerprinted, but definitely didn't ask to have them destroyed.

I take it that probably shows up on some file they'll see? I'll prepare myself accordingly.. haha.

Why do you mention the pocket knife? I hope it had nothing to do with you spending the night in jail.
    The more people i meet, the more i like my dog.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The charges may show up on your criminal record check as withdrawn

it seams it was very minor from what you have said.
    they will likely see it and ask you
    or the officers involved at the time
    as there would have been a police report about it ,
    specially if you had a court date and were printed
    you would have been given a promise to appear in court ?
    if it was a weapons charge then there may be a FIP hit on your name dob ?
    which means they would look into it when you apply for PAL
    even if charges were withdrawn
    but if no other issues outside what you said
    with it you should be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Jgoulin View Post
    Why do you mention the pocket knife? I hope it had nothing to do with you spending the night in jail.
    Not at all, only mentioned it because I wanted to know if the CFO/RCMP are that anal about that stuff. Wasn't sure if it'd matter at all given the current political climate..
    I was told not to come to work with a pocket knife before (to be fair I work in an office), which I think is kind of ridiculous.. so figured I'd mention it just in case everyone who carries a pocket knife is deemed a monster. I don't know, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper777 View Post
    it seams it was very minor from what you have said.
    they will likely see it and ask you
    or the officers involved at the time
    as there would have been a police report about it ,
    specially if you had a court date and were printed
    you would have been given a promise to appear in court ?
    if it was a weapons charge then there may be a FIP hit on your name dob ?
    which means they would look into it when you apply for PAL
    even if charges were withdrawn
    but if no other issues outside what you said
    with it you should be ok?
    There's a little bit more to the story, but nothing that'd hopefully be too relevant to my PAL. I really do hope they call the officers though. I'm relatively close with some of them (this happened on PEI, everyone knows everyone haha) and I know they'd clear up any concerns.

I'm actually going to reach out to the RCMP detachment from back when this happened. I know the guys over there pretty well, so maybe they'll open up about what pops up when they search my name. Haha.

Thanks for the input everyone. Will take any other feedback/experiences that anyone else has had as well. I've heard some stories of people with real convictions and charges less than 4-5 years ago getting approved, so that's reassuring.. because my case is not even close to a legitimate charge. Haha.
    Last edited by MoMoney; 09-17-2018 at 12:18 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quite likely on a CPIC inquiry? Level 2 or higher, though it may be gone at the 5 year mark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast