Thread: Restricted Firearms: First Purchase/Transfer Questions

Question Restricted Firearms: First Purchase/Transfer Questions

Hey everyone,

Couple of questions around transferring a restricted firearm/buying a restricted firearm for the first time.

1. If I purchase a restricted from a retailer, will it show up on the RCMP website? There is a section when logged in "Check Registration application status"
    - Does this only populate if I'm the one registering the firearm myself through the site?
    - If the retailer initiates a transfer, does this show up, and after how long would it show up here?
    - If it doesn't show up here, as a buyer, is there any way for me to call into the CFO or Miramichi to check the status with only my PAL #, or do I need the transfer number from the seller?

2. How long does a first time restricted transfer take? Significantly longer than a non-first purchase?
    - Does anyone have any experience recently in Ontario with transferring their first restricted? How long did it take?

I had something else too.. but drawing a blank right now. Will edit the post when it comes back to me, haha.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    When the seller applies to start a transfer, a transfer reference number is created. Get this number from the dealer, and call the CFP; they will be able to tell you the status of the transfer. Probably something like "it is with the provincial CFO".
    Transfers from a dealer are often faster than from a private owner. When you gave all your personal information to the dealer, not just PAL information, the dealer enters this into the transfer, so it is not necessary for the CFO to speak with the buyer. The dealer didn't care where you were born, or why you want the gun, or the name of your club, but the CFP does, and the dealer passes the information along. If it is a private transfer, the buyer will need contact the CFO to supply information requested. Fastest way to do a private transfer is to have buyer and seller together, and do everything during one phone call.
    A first transfer may take longer than subsequent ones. But it also depends on how busy the office is.

If you are buying from a retailer they will handle everything and the gun will be shipped to you as soon as they receive transfer approval so there is really no need for you to check. If you must know just because lol, ask the retailer to supply you with the transfer reference number and you can call the CFO yourself if you like. You can also call without this number and just tell them where you purchases the firearm and they will let you know the status. If you do call, make sure to ask them to EMAIL YOU THE TRANSFER NOTIFICATION!!!, that way you are not waiting for two weeks for it to show up .
    First restricted transfer will not take any longer than your 10th, they get to it when they do, in BC usually within 24hrs, Ontario has a reputation for taking longer but I understand they are getting better
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

Great info. Thanks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tharkhold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edgy View Post
    If you are buying from a retailer they will handle everything and the gun will be shipped to you as soon as they receive transfer approval so there is really no need for you to check. If you must know just because lol, ask the retailer to supply you with the transfer reference number and you can call the CFO yourself if you like. You can also call without this number and just tell them where you purchases the firearm and they will let you know the status. If you do call, make sure to ask them to EMAIL YOU THE TRANSFER NOTIFICATION!!!, that way you are not waiting for two weeks for it to show up .
    First restricted transfer will not take any longer than your 10th, they get to it when they do, in BC usually within 24hrs, Ontario has a reputation for taking longer but I understand they are getting better
    I'll even add, EVEN IF YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THEY HAVE YOUR EMAIL, ALWAYS (ALWAYS) ASK FOR AN EMAIL NOTIFICATION as the 'system' always defaults to paper mail, unless you ask them for an email notification EVERY time you are part of a transfer.
    'nada

Thanks everyone!
    Got 2 transfers started on the 21st from dealers, and 1 starting Monday from a private sale on CGN. Guess we'll see how long it takes..

Again if anyone has had restricted transfers in the last couple of weeks in Ontario, let me know what your timeline was like. Mine might be longer since it's my first, but it'll give me a gauge I guess. I've heard 8 days from someone recently?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tharkhold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    Got 2 transfers started on the 21st from dealers, and 1 starting Monday from a private sale on CGN. Guess we'll see how long it takes..

Again if anyone has had restricted transfers in the last couple of weeks in Ontario, let me know what your timeline was like. Mine might be longer since it's my first, but it'll give me a gauge I guess. I've heard 8 days from someone recently?
    my last ontario one was less than 24 hours... and that was a couple of weeks ago
    'nada